Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Lexus: fast, classy - and dull

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06 | 11:07 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

OK, take it to pm, or comment only on the content of the article please. Thanks.
Old 12-01-06 | 11:07 AM
2jzgte
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by newr
and what does your b!tC#ing has to do with the article?
I am not referring to the article in that instance, I am referring to another post. Just like you have.
Old 12-01-06 | 11:11 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

I get when passengers listen to how quite the 2GS is on the highway , so for the quietness of the LS
Old 12-01-06 | 11:29 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Well, dear sirs, the quiet is engineered so--best in class--to allow you to enjoy the great Mark Levinson system!!! Never a dull moment!
Old 12-01-06 | 12:26 PM
GSteg
Rookie

c'mon guys. the journalist said many great things about the LS460, yet we he says one negative thing about the ls460 and suddenly he's hated on.

It's one of the nicer LS460 articles out there. Never have I seen more love for the LS460 than that article Every article will have controversy regardless of how good the car is. If jounalists only want objective facts, all they need to do is print out the Lexus manual onto their page and call it a done deal. Obviously he's human and some people prefer one thing over the other. To him, the car is "too quiet." We can't blame him since its his preference.

Again, this article pointed out many great things about the LS460. Be glad he doesn't work for Car and Driver
Old 12-01-06 | 12:37 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Despite my Audi being on the 'sporty' side of the entry level lux class cars, I still find it way too noisy and too much vibration, especially from the motor. It's a really fun motor to drive around town and take to the track but at idle, especially when the motor is still cold, it does NOT sound quality - lots of buzzing and 'rough' growling coming from under the hood. I'd have taken it in under warranty to see if it was supposed to be this bad, but it's a lease so I don't care that much - they'll hear it when I bring it in for the 15k mile free service appointment in a couple weeks and if it doesn't bother them any, I'll just forget about it.

My 99 GS400 was LEAGUES quieter than this car with possibly the exception of if my Audi is at 45-55mph (low wind noise) and just cruising along in 6th gear - it's pretty quiet then.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I know Honda/Acura has implemented that active noise cancellation in vehicles (Pilot, RL, maybe others) - maybe that's the way to go and have a switch for it or even a 'volume control' or a 'journalist mode'.
If the pilot has active noise cancellation in the Pilot, that's news to me!

I know they added it as a new feature for the 2007 Acura TL's minor refreshing, which I think would be neat if we could find out if they made any other changes to the sound deadening package (like removed some of it since it may not all be needed to meat their sound goals)?

If they left everything else alone and just added the noise cancellation technology, I'd LOVE to do a side by side comparison of a 2006 and 2007 TL with the same size wheels and everything else the same to see how much improvement there really is.

The Honda Accord hybrid has been using it since it came out - it's almost a necessity because the 6-cylinder goes to running on 3 cylinders (when cruising) which creates a not so quality/nice sounding buzzing/vibration noise from the engine compartment - they used the inverted sound waves to target that noise and eliminate it.

My question is - how reliable is this technology? What if the mic or processor that monitors the noise stop working, or worse yet, gets out of tune so the waves it's producing are out of whack and not only is the existing noise not being canceled, but it's creating new probably very annoying noise from the stereo speakers until you find a way to pull the plug on it or get it fixed.

Last edited by Threxx; 12-01-06 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-01-06 | 01:41 PM
LexFather

Have you read any Audi reviews Threxx? They really are not sportier than Lexus cars, the unsportiest of the Germans.
Of course S and RS cars are but comparable Audis are not much if any sportier than a Lexus.
Old 12-01-06 | 01:52 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Have you read any Audi reviews Threxx? They really are not sportier than Lexus cars, the unsportiest of the Germans.
Of course S and RS cars are but comparable Audis are not much if any sportier than a Lexus.
Well when I have the opportunity I prefer to go by my own opinion and I drove almost all of the 2006 model entry level lux cars before I decided to go with the A4. The IS350 I drove was faster but far far less fun, predictable, or responsive. With that said I still preferred the IS as it was more comfortable, smoother, and faster - I personally don't mind giving up some sport for some luxury. But my dealer wanted about 50% more $$$ over the course of the lease of an IS350 than Audi wanted for my A4. Granted the IS350 was price about 15% higher, too, but 50% more $$ to lease a car with a price 15% higher didn't add up in my book. In fact for the price of the IS350's lease I could have almost gotten an S4 instead of an A4... but fact remained I wanted to stick with the lower payment if possible.

But... if you want to talk reviews...
Almost every single review I've read on the B7 (2005.5 and up) A4 says it is the closest thing to a 3-series on the market in terms of handling and overall man/machine feel. It's much closer to the 3-series 'mark' than the B6 A4 was from what I've heard (though I never drove a B6 A4).
What review have you read that said/insinuated that the A4 was no more (if not less) sporty than the IS?

You say it's the least sporty of the German cars... so what's that? 3-series, A4, and C-class? I'll give you that the 3-series is still sportier, even if it is close (except in acceleration if you're talking 335i). But the 2006 C-class is a joke in terms of driving characteristics. It drives in almost all aspects like an economy car with a Mercedes star on the hood. Of course the big exception being the AMG model, but that's not at all what would be considered the competitor to the base-model 4-cyl turbo A4.
Old 12-01-06 | 04:40 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lkirchner
Stop taking it personally; there are more important things in life.. Not everyone is going to like the Lexus.

How is this even a response to my post?? I'm not surprised after reading
your signature though.
I'm not expecting everyone to like Lexus. I, myself, am a fan of all
cars including Mercedes-Benz. I'm simply pointing out that many
auto journalist are biased toward MB and BMW for there driving dynamics.

Another previous post even points out that the S-Class is actually just as quiet as the LS but the same auto reviewers complaining about the LS being "too quiet" would never say that the S is "too quiet". I'd bet everything I own on it.
Old 12-01-06 | 04:45 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2jzgte
What does this have to do with the article?
Did you read the article?

I quoted it directly and responded to that quote.
Old 12-01-06 | 05:53 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

What Lexus did he drive on the Autobahn 150mph in 1989? Im still more interested in that than this LS debate... lol
Old 12-01-06 | 06:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
What Lexus did he drive on the Autobahn 150mph in 1989? Im still more interested in that than this LS debate... lol
You could push the first LS400 to 150 without much effor if you have proper tires. In Europe cars dont have electronic speed limiters set as low as in the US.
Old 12-01-06 | 06:55 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 92 SC400

The only Lexus in existence at the time of course - the LS400.

Governed at 155 mph.
Old 12-01-06 | 08:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
If the pilot has active noise cancellation in the Pilot, that's news to me! ...

The Honda Accord hybrid has been using it since it came out - it's almost a necessity because the 6-cylinder goes to running on 3 cylinders (when cruising) which creates a not so quality/nice sounding buzzing/vibration noise from the engine compartment - they used the inverted sound waves to target that noise and eliminate it.
That's why they added it to the Pilot - it offers the 3 cylinder mode now too so they added the noise cancellation because as you said, it's noisy.
Old 12-02-06 | 07:26 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JLSC4

How is this even a response to my post?? I'm not surprised after reading
your signature though.
I'm not expecting everyone to like Lexus. I, myself, am a fan of all
cars including Mercedes-Benz. I'm simply pointing out that many
auto journalist are biased toward MB and BMW for there driving dynamics.

Another previous post even points out that the S-Class is actually just as quiet as the LS but the same auto reviewers complaining about the LS being "too quiet" would never say that the S is "too quiet". I'd bet everything I own on it.

My signiature is representative of what I presently own. I have owned Lexus autos recently as well. I too am a fan of any good car and I have owned many good ones and some really bad ones. The only point that I was trying to make was don't take it so hard. I have encountered many a critic of cars that I owned in the past and pass it off to the fact that we all have opinions and you know what they say: Opinions are like a--holes, every one has one.

If this gets you upset try showing a car. I regularly showed one of my garage qweens and stopped after a judge picked apart my 100 point car, only to see him leave the event in his "show quality" Pinto. I then said opinions are different than being a mere Ahole.

Quick Reply: New Lexus: fast, classy - and dull