Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quittin' Time: Half of Ford Workers Take Buyouts

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 05:41 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quittin' Time: Half of Ford Workers Take Buyouts

Date posted: 11-30-2006

DEARBORN, Mich. — The Ford Motor Company says 38,000 hourly workers, or 46 percent of its U.S. hourly workforce, have accepted early retirement or buyouts of $35,000-$140,000.

At the same time, the automaker says that operating losses and the cost of downsizing will produce a negative net cash flow — the difference between outgoing and incoming cash — of $13 billion from 2007-'09.

The good news from Ford is that it is ahead of its goal of cutting 30,000 hourly jobs by the end of 2008. The automaker is on track to close nine plants by that time. The high acceptance rate among Ford workers has surprised industry analysts and observers. In contrast, only about 30 percent of eligible General Motors workers took buyouts earlier this year.

Earlier this week, Ford said it had lined up $18 billion in loans and credit lines to offset the cash drain during restructuring. The company is expected to burn through $3.6 billion in the current quarter alone. Ford also will stop dividend payments next year in the face of its financial woes. The company says it expects to be profitable by the end of 2009.

As for product impact, Ford discloses that its new financing package will allow it to sell Jaguar and Land Rover, although the automaker has denied plans to do so. Ford has tapped into the equity of Volvo Cars and Ford Credit as collateral for the new loans, so those two entities cannot be sold easily.

What this means to you: Ford has become the incredible shrinking car company, essentially slashing its workforce in half in the hopes of becoming healthy again.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=117785
Old 12-01-06, 07:25 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Shame shame shame.... Just as they were making an improvement in their vehicles. Oh well, I guess this is what they get for building crap for a couple of decades.
Old 12-01-06, 07:34 AM
TripleDES
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's thanks to foreign car owners like YOU that have caused the collapse of the American Big Three car companies.

(Just kidding of course)
Old 12-01-06, 04:01 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAHAHAHA I can't wait to see my die hard Ford friends to let them know that ford is about to die hard. I'm a huge GM fan myself and trust me, I know thier not in the best shape right now either but it looks like Ford is in worse shape.
Old 12-01-06, 09:43 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
HAHAHAHA I can't wait to see my die hard Ford friends to let them know that ford is about to die hard. I'm a huge GM fan myself and trust me, I know thier not in the best shape right now either but it looks like Ford is in worse shape.
Actually Ford is on much better footing now. 46% of their hourly, UNIONIZED workers are gone. The people who run GM are still too stupid to realize the problems they are having and are in a constant struggle to shift blame or plausibly deny all problems they face. I'd honestly say GM has BEEN in worse shape than Ford for a while.... Ford got passed by Toyota first because it was first in line to get beat.

I'd love to see Jaguar get sold off though. I'd like to see some NICE cars for a change.