Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

November 2006 Car Sales Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-06, 11:15 AM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
But I also feel the Infiniti M is a major reason for the GS downfall.
In NYC i see about 5 Ms for every GS, and lots of M45s also. E class and 5 series will get their ussual sales on name and prestige alone, so GS has lost most of their would be sales to Infiniti. I feel people are getting the M because its a better value, its bigger inside, and said for me to say but it has prescence and its styling makes it standout, where the GS blends in.
Funny you mention this because in Orange County I see more M45 than I do M35 aswell. With the GS though I rarely ever see a 430. I thought maybe it was just an "OC" thing but maybe not.
Old 12-05-06, 12:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Funny you mention this because in Orange County I see more M45 than I do M35 aswell. With the GS though I rarely ever see a 430. I thought maybe it was just an "OC" thing but maybe not.

Same observation here too. Most of the 3rd Gen GS I see are GS300. I see maybe a single GS430 once every 3 weeks.
Old 12-05-06, 01:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
GS sales are very bad but there are reasons that explain this........The IS on the other hand is really down now compared to 3series and new G35 without explanation.

Like others stated GS sales are suffering due to horrible lease rates compared to 5 series and E class. Also the fact it has no v8 option is hurting it.................But I also feel the Infiniti M is a major reason for the GS downfall.
In NYC i see about 5 Ms for every GS, and lots of M45s also. E class and 5 series will get their ussual sales on name and prestige alone, so GS has lost most of their would be sales to Infiniti. I feel people are getting the M because its a better value, its bigger inside, and said for me to say but it has prescence and its styling makes it standout, where the GS blends in.

I wish Lexus would do something already because its still very hard for me to understand how Infiniti, with a much weaker brand image and much smaller dealer network is OUTSELLING Lexus in one of the most important segments.
When the 2GS came out there was no credible Infiniti M competitor, the E class was boring, and the 5 series was way more expensive.

Fast forward we have the M, a much nicer E, the 3GS isn't cheaper than the 5 series and it still looks bland. Even the new G35 sedan is a pretty serious competitor to the 3GS.
Old 12-05-06, 04:35 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Incendiary, thanks so much for that analysis. Are you in IT or an analyst for work? Great work! And thanks to your fiancee too.
Nope, I'm just a dork who likes cars.
Old 12-06-06, 02:56 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
There are great lease rates available on 3 Series as well. I've been hearing good deals even on the new 335i. Lexus has among the industry's lowest incentives and discounts, and their lease rates tend to be quite high. A lot of IS buyers likely are jumping ship to buy a discounted 3 Series. This coupled with the new G35 has caused IS sales to drop a bit. Also, recent information from Japan shows that the IS350 is still in low supply, and demand remains high. It appears that Toyota is possibly limiting supply.
The great least rates are on the 2006 3-series (325 and 330). The 328 might have some but the 335 does not. A quick check of local inventory (kudos to BMW dealers for putting that up) shows 335s hard to come by (at least here in Chicago). I suspect (and from what I read) most people are lucky to get a $1K discount. Loaded up nicely the car is almost $50K - that makes it $49K plus tax.

A discounted IS350 goes for about $41K nicely optioned up.

In short, I honestly doubt many IS owners are "jumping ship" to buy a discounted 3-series.
Old 12-06-06, 03:31 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
The great least rates are on the 2006 3-series (325 and 330). The 328 might have some but the 335 does not. A quick check of local inventory (kudos to BMW dealers for putting that up) shows 335s hard to come by (at least here in Chicago). I suspect (and from what I read) most people are lucky to get a $1K discount. Loaded up nicely the car is almost $50K - that makes it $49K plus tax.

A discounted IS350 goes for about $41K nicely optioned up.

In short, I honestly doubt many IS owners are "jumping ship" to buy a discounted 3-series.

All the deals on the lower-end 3 series, like the 325 for instance, are very tempting to buyers in this market. I will certainly bet that buyers in this segment are buying 325s instead of IS250s for instance, because they can for sure get a better deal on the BMW than on the Lexus.

Again, there are many reasons why IS and GS sales are not super high, and why 3 Series sales, as well as 5 Series sales remain high. BMW's incentives definitely factor in with those reasons.
Old 12-06-06, 04:33 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Again, there are many reasons why IS and GS sales are not super high, and why 3 Series sales, as well as 5 Series sales remain high. BMW's incentives definitely factor in with those reasons.
Agreed - especially when it comes to leasing.