Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A Special Review: 2007 Lexus LS460

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-06, 06:37 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
Oh come on, his reviews are a CL tradition...considering that he goes out of his way to test drive these cars specifically for his reviews online, he certainly has a right to create an "All-Time-Best" category. It's a distinction based on his reviews, not necessarily a tangible thing you give out.

But I think we all have 'all time bests' - like the best vacations we've ever been on, best restaurants we've ever visited, etc. "All Time Best" is a common category for the discerning reviewer, amateur or professional, in my view.
I agree

keep up the good work mmarshall
Old 12-03-06, 06:49 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh come on, his reviews are a CL tradition...considering that he goes out of his way to test drive these cars specifically for his reviews online, he certainly has a right to create an "All-Time-Best" category. It's a distinction based on his reviews, not necessarily a tangible thing you give out.

But I think we all have 'all time bests' - like the best vacations we've ever been on, best restaurants we've ever visited, etc. "All Time Best" is a common category for the discerning reviewer, amateur or professional, in my view.
I guess I could draw up a rough list of my 'all time favorite' cars, vacations, etc, but I don't think I've ever been so official as to, at the end of my vacation tell my wife "I've enjoyed this vacation so much that it is officially going to be added to my All Time Best Vacations list, which might I say, is quite the distinction, honey... I don't give those out carelessly!"...

lol

mmarshall seems to have have a great penchant for making observations about cars in a short period of time (a brief test drive), which is a good skill for a reviewer. But... I seem to see a lot of bits and pieces of incorrect or 'questionable' statements in his reviews (not just this one) that make me wonder how much he actually understands about cars vs how much he thinks he understands. The tire aspect ratio that I brought up earlier is an example... I was giving him a chance to clarify why he said what he said... but he ignored me there so...

Again, I may be way off base. Maybe the guy is an automotive super genius who really has lived some of the seemingly tall tales I've seen him claim in the past... maybe he really has, but you know how the 'net is. Call me a skeptic I s'pose.
Old 12-03-06, 08:23 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
I guess I could draw up a rough list of my 'all time favorite' cars, vacations, etc, but I don't think I've ever been so official as to, at the end of my vacation tell my wife "I've enjoyed this vacation so much that it is officially going to be added to my All Time Best Vacations list, which might I say, is quite the distinction, honey... I don't give those out carelessly!"...

lol

mmarshall seems to have have a great penchant for making observations about cars in a short period of time (a brief test drive), which is a good skill for a reviewer. But... I seem to see a lot of bits and pieces of incorrect or 'questionable' statements in his reviews (not just this one) that make me wonder how much he actually understands about cars vs how much he thinks he understands. The tire aspect ratio that I brought up earlier is an example... I was giving him a chance to clarify why he said what he said... but he ignored me there so...

Again, I may be way off base. Maybe the guy is an automotive super genius who really has lived some of the seemingly tall tales I've seen him claim in the past... maybe he really has, but you know how the 'net is. Call me a skeptic I s'pose.

I enjoyed reading all of his reviews, and this one is no exception. He goes out of his way to test drive the cars and write nice reviews on CL.

Thanks MMarshall.
Old 12-03-06, 09:22 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Great write up Mike. Always informative and unbiased.
Old 12-04-06, 08:00 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Nice review as usual.

I wonder about the 'hold' button. Seems like an answer to a question no one has asked, I guess I never thought about it. It does sound like a nice idea, not sure if its a great idea, but doesn't hurt. I usually will put the car in park if I'm not moving, but this sounds simple and easy. Does it dis-engage when you step on the gas or do you have to push it off?

As for the tranny 8-speeds is probably not necessary, but it may be functional. I don't know the EPA gas mileage figures, but this car is heavier and more powerful than the LS430 but it may get similar gas mileage in part to the extra gears, also it's more areodynamic.

Does the LS have an indicator to tell you what gear you are in? The GTi (DSG) I drove had one, it was nice to see where you're at, and also fun to see the gears you jump when it kicks down (6th to 3rd for example).

I wonder if the LS sometimes starts in 2nd gear like some cars I read about (to save gas).
Old 12-04-06, 08:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
I wonder about the 'hold' button. Seems like an answer to a question no one has asked, I guess I never thought about it. It does sound like a nice idea, not sure if its a great idea, but doesn't hurt. I usually will put the car in park if I'm not moving, but this sounds simple and easy. Does it dis-engage when you step on the gas or do you have to push it off?

As for the tranny 8-speeds is probably not necessary, but it may be functional. I don't know the EPA gas mileage figures, but this car is heavier and more powerful than the LS430 but it may get similar gas mileage in part to the extra gears, also it's more areodynamic.

Does the LS have an indicator to tell you what gear you are in? The GTi (DSG) I drove had one, it was nice to see where you're at, and also fun to see the gears you jump when it kicks down (6th to 3rd for example).

I wonder if the LS sometimes starts in 2nd gear like some cars I read about (to save gas).
In the full automatic mode there are so many gears that it is hard to tell which one you are in....I don't remember a dash marker. But in Sport / Manual mode, of course, there is an indicator.
My view, of course, is that if you are going to have that many separate gears, you might as well consider a CVT.....CVT's are now being developed that can handle large amounts of torque, unlike in the past.

I pushed the HOLD button on and off manually...I forgot to check if it comes off automatically. Usually, though, I just keep my foot on the brake.
Old 12-04-06, 09:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i believe the brake hold doesn't come on automatically, you have to activate it. could be wrong though

well, i can't wait to see the dual stage cvt on the ls600hl. i am pretty impressed with the cvt on the 450h myself, so i want to see how the ls600hl plays out
Old 12-04-06, 01:49 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, brake hold is a button you can have toggled on or off for it to work...

...separate but similar--automatic parking brake, also toggled on or off...
Old 12-04-06, 02:20 PM
rai
Lead Lap

question about the 'hold' feature.. if you leave it on and come to a complete stop is it activated and then it goes off when you step on the gas? Or do you have to push the button on/off every time you stop/start?
Old 12-04-06, 02:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I believe when you come to a complete stop you push the brake hold button on the steering wheel, then it 'holds' the brake. As soon as you press the accelerator it disengages.

Basically it saves your foot from having to stay on the brake pedal, helpful if in stop-and-go traffic, or long pauses, etc.
Old 12-04-06, 11:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I believe when you come to a complete stop you push the brake hold button on the steering wheel, then it 'holds' the brake. As soon as you press the accelerator it disengages.

Basically it saves your foot from having to stay on the brake pedal, helpful if in stop-and-go traffic, or long pauses, etc.
correct. but once it's on, it will be on the entire time i believe. meaning even if you let go of the brake and then press on the gas (so the car moves), and later on if you brake and the car comes to a stop again, the brake hold is still activated and will hold the car

at least that's what i was told. maybe someone can confirm
Old 12-05-06, 02:38 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
correct. but once it's on, it will be on the entire time i believe. meaning even if you let go of the brake and then press on the gas (so the car moves), and later on if you brake and the car comes to a stop again, the brake hold is still activated and will hold the car

at least that's what i was told. maybe someone can confirm
I hope that isn't how it works. I would hate to see the life time on the brake pads if it always is holding. Unless you are talking about some sort of sensor that re-engages the brake hold which could be true.

Anyway, what I'd like to know is if the brake hold when activated illuminates the brake lights? I think it is kind of dangerous to be at a complete stop at a stop light with no brake lights illuminated. I'm sure that is not the case though otherwise that would be pretty stupid.
Old 12-05-06, 09:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I hope that isn't how it works. I would hate to see the life time on the brake pads if it always is holding. Unless you are talking about some sort of sensor that re-engages the brake hold which could be true.

Anyway, what I'd like to know is if the brake hold when activated illuminates the brake lights? I think it is kind of dangerous to be at a complete stop at a stop light with no brake lights illuminated. I'm sure that is not the case though otherwise that would be pretty stupid.
no, it engages and disengages automatically when you press on the brake (and the car stops) and when you press the gas. when you press the gas, the brake is released automatically

what i was trying to say is the "sytem" on all the time once you turn it on (until you shut off the car?). so once you turn it on, you stop the car and the brake is hold. you press the gas, the brake is released, and you drive. but the system is still on, when you come to the next stop, it will engage again and hold the brake

again, this is what i was told, never tried it before so maybe someone can confirm
Old 12-05-06, 10:32 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol

Threxx.... you know alot about cars as many on this club do. I think your last post (unlike previous) focusses too much on the individual versus the information. It may be that Marshall is avoiding debating in a thread designed to be informative... I'm not bias to anything but if someone has personal issues with me I would ask that they take it to pm's versus the forums..

Marshall... very good review and I would also differ on the con being "expensive".... I agree that most cannot afford this vehicle however in its competition market I would deem it a value. I personally could not afford it and think any car over 40k is excessive but also appreciate that many can afford it and have a higher "value" rating...

BTW..... I know many of you are sick of hearing this from myself and others but as Marshall pointed out, DRIVE THE RL
I have been fortunate enough to drive one extensively and compare it to the newer GS models, my boys 07 s series benz and 7 series Bimmer..
The RL is one solid machine that just has an overall feel that is hard to describe unless in one... It seems to be a tremendous value...
Craigslist CT. has a 2005 model with 16k certified for $35,000 ... this car competes against 70k cars in my mind....
One of my "All time Best"....lol
Old 12-05-06, 11:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A genius I am not. A Michael Shumacker I am not. A tall-tale guy like Brock Yates I not.

But I can evaluate a car, under normal sedate street-driving conditions, in my sleep. I have been doing it since I was about 16 years old. That was a LONG time ago. But...you are correct.....I don't drive aggressively on tracks. People who want those evaluations have to consult other sources, not me.

If you want to meet me in person, PM me and come to the D.C. Auto Show in January and see and talk to me yourself. What you see is what you get. I have absolutely nothing to hide. We can talk cars all you want......in the perfect environment for it.

( You also mention me as a reviewer. That's what I do for a living....review aeronautical charts and Flight Procedures for the FAA. I am also a licensed pilot. )

And, last, I am NOT the only person on CL that does reviews. 1SICKLEX occasionally does 1SICKREVIEWs ( in some ways better than mine ) and bitkahuna has done a couple of excellent ones as well.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-06 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: A Special Review: 2007 Lexus LS460