Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 Exasperating Driver Types in Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-06, 06:21 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great list!

I have two more, but Ramon got the first one - people blocking the right hand turn lane.

How about people using anti-cruise control? They speed up and slow down for no discernable reason. They especially like passing you, getting in front of you, then slowing down. Of course they speed up as you in turn try to pass them.

I played this leapfrog game with a driver for over half an hour coming home from Thanksgiving dinner last month.
Old 12-05-06, 11:38 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Ohh so ur in the RP area too? lol I've ONLY had my license for 4 months and zero accidents Us highschoolers
BTW the 'opertunities' are all legal and i always use my signal.
I hope that is a joke. License for 4 months?

By the way, I don't care if it's all legal and you use your signal. By doing that, it makes the traffic worse, and makes more people pump their brakes with panic brakes, causing a chain reaction.
Old 12-05-06, 02:33 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand the unbalanced lanes at stoplights and especially at dual lane turns. When there are 2 or more lanes travelling in the same direction, it totally boggles me how one lane will have 20 cars waiting and the other lane(s) will only have 1 or 2.
Old 12-05-06, 02:51 PM
pocky
mooncake master

You know what I really hate? When there is two left turn lanes. And when your in the right most lane, You make a left. then the joker on the left lane goes to your right cause he/she wants to be in the right lane at the end of the turn.

It always happen at the signal by San Gabriel Plaza (Focus). Valley Blvd & Abbot Ave. I'm always on the right lane making a left onto Valley going Westbound, because well. I need to make a right shortly after. But everyone thinks I'm not there when I make a left. I'm always prepared when this happens and give them a long blast of the horn.
Old 12-05-06, 04:53 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Today I encountered a driver who thought the divided two lane and my opposing lane specifically was a turn pocket. She turned into the lane and nearly caused me to hit her head-on. Good thing for the brakes on the LS. Of course she was on a cell phone.
Old 12-05-06, 04:57 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by RA40
Today I encountered a driver who thought the divided two lane and my opposing lane specifically was a turn pocket. She turned into the lane and nearly caused me to hit her head-on. Good thing for the brakes on the LS. Of course she was on a cell phone.
Of course! They are ALWAYS on the cell phone.

Everytime I see a stupid move done by a driver, I drive by and look and they are on the cell phone. Even if they did something wrong and you honk at them, they get pissed off at you.
Old 12-07-06, 04:59 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexwang07
By Patrick Byrne and Joanne Helperin and John DiPietro
Email

Ladies in Mercedes
These drivers are typically middle-aged women (sorry about the gender typing, but it's true) whose husbands have bought them status cars that they do not know how to drive.

These women are not to be confused with the younger Angelenos who gab on cell phones and check their looks in the rearview mirrors while a small dog sits in their laps. Don't even try to get around these drivers. They seem to meander exactly where you intend to try to pass them every time.
In all seriousness though, Southern California offers some of the best driving in the country once you learn the rules. So be safe out there and enjoy. When you encounter any of these drivers on your way to your destination, just remember to breathe and slowly count to 10. You'll thank us later.

That's not a bad thing actually. If more people would drive like that we would have a lot less accidents. When I am driving my Benz I tend to drive slower as well, I just feel relaxed and just follow the speed limit even though I dive an E500 and it goes from 0-60 in like 5.4 sec