Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 Exasperating Driver Types in Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-06, 10:16 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Top 10 Exasperating Driver Types in Southern California

By Patrick Byrne and Joanne Helperin and John DiPietro
Email

For most of us, our commute to work is one of the daily drudgeries we learn to live with. My L.A. commute is no exception, although it is made perhaps a little less mind-numbing by the buddy I carpool with most days. On a recent commute, as we crawled our way along Southern California's 405 freeway, we noted that there were definite types of drivers on the road. All annoying. All completely ignorant of anyone or anything around them.

As we griped and commiserated with each other, we came up with a list of 10 Southern California driver types that will be familiar to anyone who lives here, and may serve to guide those headed here.

The Tailgater
At 70 mph on the freeway, drivers here tailgate, oblivious to the danger involved. A combination of arrogance and ignorance, these "Type As" seem bent on causing a pileup and create stress for good drivers. All it would take is one person braking moderately hard (very common on the freeways) and wham — domino effect. It is these same tailgaters who forget all driving skills whatsoever in the rain or fog, causing those wrecks you see on TV news.

Merging Maniacs
There are two types of Merging Maniacs. The first, instead of immediately merging from a freeway on-ramp into the flow of traffic, drives to the very end of the on-ramp lane and weasels his/her way in between cars. Look for them during especially heavy traffic. They're the ones flying by you on their own personal speedway.

The second illegally uses the carpool lane of the on-ramp for a quick merge onto the highway — though he or she is clearly not carpooling nor driving a hybrid. The maniac passes by everyone who is doing the right (and legal) thing. There's nothing you can do about cheaters like them except stew — or become just like them.

Close the Gap (a.k.a. My Space)
This driver automatically closes the gap between his car and the car in front of him as soon as you turn on your lane-change blinker. In fact, every driver behind this one will do the same until there is an impenetrable wall of 20 or 30 cars preventing your lane change. This will happen every time you turn on your lane-change blinker, especially when you need to cross several lanes in order to exit the highway. Try it for fun just to see it happen.

Hummer View-Be-Gone
These monster SUV drivers get in front of you (always you!) and block all forward views, including the sun. Sometimes, if you're lucky and they don't have black-tinted glass (highly unlikely in Southern California), you can see through their windows, which allows some semblance of a view. But don't be disheartened; these drivers can only go about four or fives miles before they have to pull over for gas, so hang in there.

Must Turn Left (Think: Homer Simpson)
This driver must turn left. Nothing will stop him, even after the green left-turn arrow has changed to yellow and then red. Even if there is no space where he wants to go and his vehicle will take up two full lanes of oncoming traffic after he turns. It's easier if you imagine Homer Simpson behind the wheel, catatonically moaning, "Must...turn...left."

U-Turn! (Why Wait To Turn Left?)
This driver makes a U-turn past the left turn he originally wanted to make, then gets in the right lane of the previously opposite lane of traffic and turns right; thus achieving his goal without waiting to make a left turn.

Obviously this driver deserves a death sentence. (In Texas, actually, that is the punishment for this offense.) But don't hold your breath. And don't try calling someone at city hall to complain. They will just transfer you incessantly while laughing at the idiot who called to complain.

Leave a Gap
This is the weird phenomenon where, at a red light, a driver will leave a large gap (often measuring two car lengths or more) between them and the car in front of them. This is most maddening when you're trying to move over into a left-turn lane (where there is a green arrow glowing) while this airhead, oblivious to you behind him with your signal on, sits there with 30 feet of open space in front of him.
Like most L.A. drivers, this unconscious individual never looks in his rearview, and even if you give him a quick beep, he'll remain in la-la land. Chances are, when his light turns green, he won't move until you honk him out of his daydreaming.

Your Space Is My Space
As you're waiting patiently in slow-moving traffic, wondering if you should try to cross the intersection before the light turns red, a driver roars past and cuts into the space ahead of you. Sometimes two or three drivers will do this before you can react. Immediately after this happens the light will change to red as you 1) sit there cursing, or 2) become stuck in the middle of the intersection as both streams of traffic honk at you. Again you are cursing.

Traffic Signal Terror
This driver is determined to make the light from the opposing lane of traffic, no matter what its color. If it's yellow, instead of slowing, he accelerates to the speed of light, screaming by you. You're left stuck in the middle of the intersection at a red light, with zero chance of making your left turn. Honking horns, embarrassment follow.

If the light is red, no matter: He blasts through it anyway, because his time is simply more important than yours. A perpetual accident waiting to happen, these drivers never get caught by a cop until they actually T-bone some innocent person who was moving on a green light.

Ladies in Mercedes
These drivers are typically middle-aged women (sorry about the gender typing, but it's true) whose husbands have bought them status cars that they do not know how to drive.

These women are not to be confused with the younger Angelenos who gab on cell phones and check their looks in the rearview mirrors while a small dog sits in their laps. Don't even try to get around these drivers. They seem to meander exactly where you intend to try to pass them every time.
In all seriousness though, Southern California offers some of the best driving in the country once you learn the rules. So be safe out there and enjoy. When you encounter any of these drivers on your way to your destination, just remember to breathe and slowly count to 10. You'll thank us later.
Old 12-03-06, 06:19 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

lol these were great except they missed one:

the gardening truck with crap that falls off while the driver obliviously drives
Old 12-03-06, 07:06 PM
maz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This list is so true. I've experienced all these drivers, even the gardening truck with crap falling out of it at 70mph on freeway. Luckily the crap didn't hit my car.
Old 12-03-06, 07:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Good read...LOL...
These are the obvious, plenty of gray areas to fill in too.
Old 12-03-06, 07:46 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

you forgot the korean moms in lexuses.

(i'm so thankful that my mom is a korean mom in a toyota :P)
Old 12-03-06, 07:48 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Hmm do i fit into any of those categories?
I have a short 'commute' to school and i have to take highway 56 west /blk mt. rd. which is a nightmare X_X/ You'll find me pushing the pwr button and finding spots of 'opportunity' inorder to 'skip' the enormous lin eof people in the turning lane.
Old 12-03-06, 08:22 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seen them all...

...find them generally accurate. The outlier for me is "Ladies in Mercedes" I find that one somewhat more of a niche category than the others...
Old 12-03-06, 08:45 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL!!!! NICE! Good stuff. So true!
Old 12-03-06, 09:14 PM
Lexwang07

I really hate behind ladies in Mercedes! Holy crap! Slow as hell! Annoying!
Old 12-03-06, 09:16 PM
Lexwang07

Any of Mercedes drivers on the LA Area. Male or Female. I passed them quickly.
Old 12-03-06, 09:26 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I've got a couple more...

1) When people get on the freeway and IMMEDIATLY go into the #1 (passing) lane, only to drive at the same rate of speed or SLOWER than traffic in all the other lanes.

2) At a red light, when a driver (usualy female) wants to turn right, and is too chicken **** to navigate their vehicle between the car going straight and the curb, even though there is PLENTY of space, so instead, they place half their car in the turn lane, while the other half is sitll behind the car going straight, thus blocking you and any chance you have of making that right turn short of waiting for the light to turn green.
Old 12-04-06, 01:11 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

I believe these types are everywhere .
Old 12-04-06, 01:16 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

lol so true...
Old 12-04-06, 01:29 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Hmm do i fit into any of those categories?
I have a short 'commute' to school and i have to take highway 56 west /blk mt. rd. which is a nightmare X_X/ You'll find me pushing the pwr button and finding spots of 'opportunity' inorder to 'skip' the enormous lin eof people in the turning lane.
YOU.......!!!!!!!

you're one of THOSE when i'm on the 56....hahaha...you guys really make me wish there were more CHP waiting in the middle of the 56 on the dirt for poeple like you lol

that's why i rock the local roads to bypass
Old 12-04-06, 02:56 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

YOU.......!!!!!!!

you're one of THOSE when i'm on the 56....hahaha...you guys really make me wish there were more CHP waiting in the middle of the 56 on the dirt for poeple like you lol

that's why i rock the local roads to bypass
Ohh so ur in the RP area too? lol I've ONLY had my license for 4 months and zero accidents Us highschoolers
BTW the 'opertunities' are all legal and i always use my signal.

Quick Reply: Top 10 Exasperating Driver Types in Southern California