Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ward’s Announces 10 Best Engines Winners for 2007

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 04:48 PM
LexFather

Congrats to all the winners

Old 12-06-06, 07:38 PM
KidPandJ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
From Ward's press release:Quote:
Each engine must be available in a regular-production, U.S.-specification model on sale no later than the first quarter of 2007 in a vehicle priced no more than $54,000, a price cap indexed to the average cost of a new vehicle.
Ahhhhhhhh.....that makes more sense. Thanks.
Old 12-06-06, 08:12 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
From Ward's press release:
Thanks for the clarification . That means that next year, the 1UR-FSE likely will make the list, by virtue of being in the GS460. I doubt Lexus will raise the GS460 base above 54K.
Old 12-06-06, 09:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
Nice for me to see the Nissan/Infiniti engine there.
The Nissan / Infiniti 3.5 has always been highly rated by the auto press.....as was the 3.0 before it.
Old 12-06-06, 09:38 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

surprised the GM ECOTECH 2.0 Direct Injection engine didn't make it. But then again it has ECU fueling issues, loud injectors, and the intercooler can freeze the air it condenses in the engine leading to huge losses of power. It can also just shut down, but thats rare.
Old 12-06-06, 09:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by toy4two
surprised the GM ECOTECH 2.0 Direct Injection engine didn't make it. But then again it has ECU fueling issues, loud injectors, and the intercooler can freeze the air it condenses in the engine leading to huge losses of power. It can also just shut down, but thats rare.
GM 4-cylinders, unlike the smooth and refined Toyota and Honda ones, tend to run like agricultural tractor motors.....though to be fair, they are improving.
Old 12-06-06, 11:04 PM
AudiMan
Driver

Nice for me to see the Nissan/Infiniti engine there.
Surprised to see Ford and Audi...on the other hand I believe both these manufacturers are involved in racing...they should know a thing or two about engine efficiency and technology.
surprised to see Audi?? LOL...its obvious you don't follow automotive technology...its ok, everyone has a right to learn, audi has won plenty of engine awards for the 2.0T and others.
Old 12-06-06, 11:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AudiMan
surprised to see Audi?? audi has won plenty of engine awards for the 2.0T and others.

As good as the 2.0L turbo four is, the DSG gearbox that goes with it is even better. That is why I b**ched about Audi not offering the Quattro with this combination in the A3.....restricting it to the 3.2L only.
Old 12-07-06, 05:25 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiMan
surprised to see Audi?? LOL...its obvious you don't follow automotive technology...its ok, everyone has a right to learn, audi has won plenty of engine awards for the 2.0T and others.
I understand the tech is advanced but I personally wouldn't highly rate an engine in a car that has many reliability issues. Everyone I have ever known, including today's Audi's complain about problems with the car. Including engine problems. So maybe I need to learn more but serious reliability issues on any car takes it's engine out of any highly respected perch IMO.
Old 12-07-06, 05:42 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toy4two
surprised the GM ECOTECH 2.0 Direct Injection engine didn't make it.
You're kidding? That's one of the least refined engines I've ever driven.
Old 12-07-06, 06:52 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

I understand the tech is advanced but I personally wouldn't highly rate an engine in a car that has many reliability issues. Everyone I have ever known, including today's Audi's complain about problems with the car. Including engine problems. So maybe I need to learn more but serious reliability issues on any car takes it's engine out of any highly respected perch IMO.
Show me a reliability issue with the new 2.0T, I'de be very interested if you could find one. My son recently bought a new 2007 A4 2.0T 6-speed manual w/Quattro and he couldn't be happier especially since where he lives there is snow and generally bad weather for about 3-4 months of the year.

Last edited by mavericck; 12-07-06 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-07-06, 07:37 AM
MrSilvia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 4.6, unlike the competitor 5.7's from Chevy and Pontiac, is noted for high-RPM HP rather than low-RPM torque. Still, the 4.6's torque figure, like most American V8s, exceeds its own HP figure...320 to 300. It just comes at a higher RPM than with the 5.7s.....and of course the 5.7s have more ultimate power in both the HP and torque departments due to their almost whole extra liter of displacement.

And, when you say that the 4.6L is "ancient" technology, stop and consider for a moment the fact that Ford developed THAT engine to replace one that really WAS ancient technology...the 5.0L ( 302 c.i.) that dates back to my high-school days.
Though of course the 4.6L, in general, will not outrun the Chevy / Pontiac 5.7L on the dragstrip, it is, mechanically, a pretty good motor and has ( for a Ford engine ) a pretty good reliability record...hence its popularity with police and cab drivers.
OK, competitors aside (The 5.7 you're talking about) all I'm saying is that a SOHC 3 Valve/cylinder V-8 putting out 300 hp does not seem like a top 10 engine when you've got three 6 cylinder engines on the list (Toyota 3.5, Nissan 3.5, and BMW I-6 3.0) that have DOHC, 4 Valves/cylinder and either beat or match the output of the ford engine (HP maybe not torque), weigh less, and get better MPG. Compared to those engines along with the Audi/VW 2.0T I-4 the ford engine does seem like ancient technology. I still think this engine has no place on this lst.
Old 12-07-06, 05:30 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

The HEMI engines use MDS (Multi Displacement System) which lets them shut off 4-cylinders under lighter load conditions which the Nissan VK56DE doesn't do. In the 300C with 340hp/390tq it gets 17/25 mpg EPA ratings. That's simply astounding considering it's a 4000 lb beast with brick shaped aerodynamics. An Infiniti G35 which weighs 600-700 lbs less, and which has a much smaller and less powerful engine gets 18/25 mpg! Not only does that illustrate how pathetic the fuel efficiency is of the VQ35 engines these days, but it also shows how EFFICIENT and truly good an American pushrod 2-valve V8 can be. The GM LS4 303hp/323tq engine in the Impala SS and Grand Prix GXP gives an equally impressive 18/28 mpg, and this engine uses variable displacement also. Both of these engines are state of the art in every respect, and the Ward's 10 Best award is well-deserved. Nissan 5.6? What is so special about this engine? Nothing. The HEMI even makes more horsepower per liter despite the Nissan being a 4-valve DOHC engine. HA!

Originally Posted by MrSilvia
I really can't understand how the SOHC 4.6L V8 in the Mustang GT made it on the list. 300 hp is far from impressive for an engine that size these days, and when was the last time ford overhauled that engine or developed a new one for the mustang GT?? It seems like ancient technology

OK, competitors aside (The 5.7 you're talking about) all I'm saying is that a SOHC 3 Valve/cylinder V-8 putting out 300 hp does not seem like a top 10 engine when you've got three 6 cylinder engines on the list (Toyota 3.5, Nissan 3.5, and BMW I-6 3.0) that have DOHC, 4 Valves/cylinder and either beat or match the output of the ford engine (HP maybe not torque), weigh less, and get better MPG. Compared to those engines along with the Audi/VW 2.0T I-4 the ford engine does seem like ancient technology. I still think this engine has no place on this lst.
Then you're not appreciating the true "goodness" of the engine. I just used it above, but you don't measure the goodness of an engine by how much HP/L it has, or by the number of cams or the number of valves. Only measurebators judge things like that. Why did I know you were going to mention stuff like that?

Things to appreciate about the Ford 4.6L are:

- Dirt cheap to produce: Ford probably builds millions of these modular V8's annually in both 4.6 and 5.4L trim and across all variants, so that makes them dirt cheap to build with all the volume. Who else offers you V8 power, torque, and sound for less than $25k in a sporty 2-door? Minimum price of entry in any import V8 car like that is $50k!

- They did say "Shelby GT" too: They usually don't give the full write-up until after the new year, but they did imply that they were talking about the 500hp supercharged version also. 90-degree V8s with the wide arc in the V-valley are ideal candidates for superchargers. This is why Mercedes has always kept their V6 engines in 90-degree config also, and to share architecture with their V8's. Not sure on their newest V6 engines (3.5L) but that's how they did things in the past.

- SOHC VVT!. The Ford 4.6L SOHC 3v is using cam-phasing VVT (continuously variable) in the Mustang GT and other engines. This gives it the same power as the previous DOHC NA Cobra motor but without the added expense of the DOHC 4v head setup. Not even Honda does this on their SOHC VTEC V6 engines. Why not? You got me! Maybe that's why there's no Honda engines on the Ward's list this year, because they're slacking and Ford is building better engines than they are. <grin>

- Torque. There may be smaller displacement engines out there that match the power, but the NA ones won't match the torque, and the import engines are already all tricked out whereas the Ford engine in base config here is just getting started. Power options are near limitless.

- Sound: And IMHO nothing beats the deep rumble of a V8, especially an American one. I love how Ford's mod V8's sound, especially with aftermarket exhaust systems. They've always sounded hot to me. The Ward's press release did mention an "evocative exhaust symphony". The V6's all sound tinny and annoying, especially the Nissan VQ. The FX35 sounds like a weed whacker and I can't stand it. The Ford V8s have always been music to my ears.
Old 12-07-06, 08:42 PM
MrSilvia
Driver School Candidate

Well I guess you just know everything . I still stand by my opinion, there are better engines out there that should be on this list instead of the Ford 4.6
Old 12-07-06, 10:31 PM
AudiMan
Driver

I just picked up my Audi from the mechanic's shop. I spent $1018.69 on 4 upper control arms and steering tie rods and alignment. Dealer would have charged me about $500 more. The engine is bullet proof. There are certain components that break down and should be replaced but they're also fairly predictable. I knew this repair was coming over a year ago. BMW and Merc have their issues as well. I will continue to buy german cars....its like crack cocaine to me

Quick Reply: Ward’s Announces 10 Best Engines Winners for 2007