Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

J.D. Power 2006 report : Toyota/Lexus ranks highest in Customer Retention

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 04:16 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Which just lends itself to the opinion that studies like these are pretty useless/meaningless to the end consumer. I'd be surprised if someone could come up with more than a small handful of people that took the customer retention stufy into account when choosing a new vehicle.
I think the best way to judge all cars, is to link the dealer service computers to a central clearing house. Of course this will never happen. But imagine if it did.

Consumer reports would be based on computer data for repair work and not some lame survey. Actual statisitics for body hardware, electrical, etc. could be obtained.

The idea of a car having 3 gray dots or 5 gray dots is pretty lame. I would rather see hard numbers.
Old 12-13-06, 05:18 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
The idea of a car having 3 gray dots or 5 gray dots is pretty lame. I would rather see hard numbers.
Exactly. When I see the colored dots, I have to constantly refer to the key to determine what they even mean.
Old 12-13-06, 07:45 AM
Seadee456
Driver

Those numbers seem pretty acurate bases on personal experience. My family for one owns 3 Lexus vehicles. It started when my mom bought her LX, then my dad got a GS and finally, I got an RX. I would love to get a GS or GX later on when I make more money.
My college roomate on the other hand drives an Acura TL. He swears never to buy another Acura, he says his next car will be an Accord.
Old 12-13-06, 07:59 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Seadee456
Those numbers seem pretty acurate bases on personal experience. My family for one owns 3 Lexus vehicles. It started when my mom bought her LX, then my dad got a GS and finally, I got an RX. I would love to get a GS or GX later on when I make more money.
My college roomate on the other hand drives an Acura TL. He swears never to buy another Acura, he says his next car will be an Accord.
My comment on the dots was in reference to accuracy.

For example, if lexus gets 5 dots, and another car, say Infiniti gets 3 dots, I think there is not enough distinction. The difference between having 3 or 4 dots and 5 is so close due to the limited survery distribution.

I would rather see a point system that clearly breaks out car quality/reliability more effectively.

i.e. The most reliable car, presumably a Lexus would get 1,000 points max, and the rest would go down futher. I do not believe an Acura, Toyota, Infiniti, etc. all should have the same amount which is what happens when the scale is so narrow.
Old 12-13-06, 08:15 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
My comment on the dots was in reference to accuracy.

For example, if lexus gets 5 dots, and another car, say Infiniti gets 3 dots, I think there is not enough distinction. The difference between having 3 or 4 dots and 5 is so close due to the limited survery distribution.

I would rather see a point system that clearly breaks out car quality/reliability more effectively.

i.e. The most reliable car, presumably a Lexus would get 1,000 points max, and the rest would go down futher. I do not believe an Acura, Toyota, Infiniti, etc. all should have the same amount which is what happens when the scale is so narrow.
He is talking about the J D Power Customer Retention Survey, which is the topic of this thread, not sure why you are talking about quality/reliability by CR in reply.
Old 12-13-06, 06:07 PM
LexFather

Unless you have sat in on a presentation (or work for a company) understanding how complex and tough these surveys are to administer and publish, I strongly recommend not calling them rubbish. They are TOUGH, hence companies like the Gallup poll. Most all companies OUTSOURCE employee or any large surveys.

For ANYONE to discredit or not see the value of it is borderline ridiculous. Most people here could not do an extensive non bias poll with 10 people, let alone thousands.

Old 12-13-06, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Unless you have sat in on a presentation (or work for a company) understanding how complex and tough these surveys are to administer and publish, I strongly recommend not calling them rubbish. They are TOUGH, hence companies like the Gallup poll. Most all companies OUTSOURCE employee or any large surveys.

For ANYONE to discredit or not see the value of it is borderline ridiculous. Most people here could not do an extensive non bias poll with 10 people, let alone thousands.
I'll agree with that to an extent. I have both taken J.D. Power mail-surveys AND sat on the company's focus panel discussion groups. While Power, admittedly, DOES put a lot of effort into what they do, some of what they do, and the way that they gather and disseminate information, ( I won't go into all the details here ) just does not impress me as much as Consumer Reports.....never did.