Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to change their Navigation set-up?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 08:49 AM
LexFather

Lexus confirmed when the GS came out that they WILL NOT go to any **** controller as it simply is NOT driver intuitive to Lexus engineers. The industry seems to think so as BMW, Benz, Audi, Infiniti and Acura use **** setups.

Clarkson thinks I-drive is the devil....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166732

Clearly some will like *****, others will prefer buttons.

Old 12-08-06, 08:50 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If Lexus were to get an I-Drive like system I think they would have put on the LS 460.
Old 12-08-06, 09:29 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lexus confirmed when the GS came out that they WILL NOT go to any **** controller as it simply is NOT driver intuitive to Lexus engineers. The industry seems to think so as BMW, Benz, Audi, Infiniti and Acura use **** setups.

Clarkson thinks I-drive is the devil....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166732

Clearly some will like *****, others will prefer buttons.
He also hates the way Lexus' drives. What is your point? Not sure he is a good data point. 1 million+ BMW's sold per year however might be one.

I like BMW's and I like Lexus', they both have appealing qualities.
Old 12-08-06, 09:55 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

I would like the idea of a joystick type of control to scroll around a map as it's awkward to do it by touch if you want to scroll very far. You have to change scale, touch the screen in the approximate location and then scale back in. A joystick would make it easier to move around. Other than that, I hope they don't change it.
Old 12-08-06, 10:05 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JHStrange
I would like the idea of a joystick type of control to scroll around a map as it's awkward to do it by touch if you want to scroll very far. You have to change scale, touch the screen in the approximate location and then scale back in. A joystick would make it easier to move around. Other than that, I hope they don't change it.
I think a hybrid might be nice. Touch screen/joystick. Simply because entering textual data or having the passenger be able to send SMS text messages to someone in the address book. Lots of possibilities.

Lexus has made their bed for awhile with the new LS. I would not expect any significant changes for another 5-10 years.
Old 12-08-06, 10:07 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
He also hates the way Lexus' drives. What is your point? Not sure he is a good data point. 1 million+ BMW's sold per year however might be one.

I like BMW's and I like Lexus', they both have appealing qualities.
Yes they both have appealing qualities. To the experts and to me, I-drive and any **** is counter intuitive. Clearly some people like you like I-drive.

The 1 million BMWs sold do NOT have I-drive, the vast majority do not have this feature.

Not turning this into an argument, you like it, I don't.

Old 12-08-06, 10:14 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes they both have appealing qualities. To the experts and to me, I-drive and any **** is counter intuitive. Clearly some people like you like I-drive.

The 1 million BMWs sold do NOT have I-drive, the vast majority do not have this feature.

Not turning this into an argument, you like it, I don't.
No argument intended.

FYI, all 5/6/7 series come with iDrive standard. It is only optional on the entry level 3, Z, and X3's.

They wanted to keep the base price point of the cars as low as possible.

I must admit, when I first saw iDrive I said "what are they thinking?" Then after having it for a few weeks, I quickly realized where they were heading and why it works the way it does. It is not obvious to most the many advantages just by sitting in the car for a few minutes. Partly because the dealers lack trained sales associates.

Last edited by sdbrandon; 12-08-06 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-08-06, 10:46 AM
brravvo
Driver

i swear guys this is just what the head tec told me.
that they were talking about it.
i dont know who they is.
I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE WITH THIS WONDERFUL SITE.
Old 12-08-06, 10:52 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A joystick navigation setup really is the superior option IF it is setup intuitively enough to allow people to navigate to their desired option without even hardly looking at the nav screen.

Of course that takes both proper design on the part of lexus, and a little bit of patience on the part of their customers to learn and memorize the interface. But yeah, after a while, using a joystick type interface should not only be quicker, but also more accurate, reliable, and safer. I suspect all cars will eventually move to a joystick + voice command type interface and may leave touch functionality but only as a secondary measure for, say, passengers who can spend time looking at the screen and not the road.
Old 12-08-06, 11:04 AM
LexFather

No argument intended.

FYI, all 5/6/7 series come with iDrive standard. It is only optional on the entry level 3, Z, and X3's.

They wanted to keep the base price point of the cars as low as possible.

I must admit, when I first saw iDrive I said "what are they thinking?" Then after having it for a few weeks, I quickly realized where they were heading and why it works the way it does. It is not obvious to most the many advantages just by sitting in the car for a few minutes. Partly because the dealers lack trained sales associates.
Good points. I will say that it is something you cannot learn over a weekend or during a "review".

Old 12-08-06, 11:47 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genearch
Mmarshall and I have gone over this several times
As have I.
Touchscreens have advantages, they are easy and the screen dynamically updates with options
Yep.
Downsides in general:
Fingerprints
About the only downside really
Inconsistent UI Elements
Not sure what you mean here. Exactly how are touch screen buttons any more "inconsistent" than ****-controlled menus? All on-screen buttons look like...buttons...to me.
IMHO , some cars have far too many buttons on the dash (My infiniti had over 55 buttons/*****, my E63 has I believe around 16)

One of the iDrive advantages is that there are a ton more options available. No need to visit the dealer for c-best type stuff.

IMHO, it's all about voice control and that's where all mfgr's should focus.
What options are available is a totally different subject. Try not to shift the focus of our topic. BMW's "a ton more options available" advantage is not due to the use of an iDrive controller, but simply to the credit of BMW's decision to make the options user-accessible. The same vast array of tuning options can just as easily made available if not even more so with a touch screen interface. I've always said that my dream setup would be a touch screen with all the fine-tuning access that a BMW iDrive has. Just look at the hidden "technician mode" already available in most Lexus's touch screen units. Many fine-tuning options but far easier and much more intuitive to use than the iDrive. I only wish Lexus can "unhide" the technician mode and offer more options in there.
The reviewers bash i-drive because of their limited exposure. (can't really blame them) If you spend any time with the car (like actually owning one) you'd quickly learn that it's not an issue and actually quite intuitive (now that it is a 4-way versus 8-way selection)
Sure, when you take the time to learn anything and use it on a daily basis it'll become intuitive eventually. But why spend that precious time when a touch screen can get you started in NO time? With touch screens you just push buttons...can it get any more intuitive than that?
Too many times people think that you need to even touch the idrive **** to adjust the volume, not the case at all. Volume/source/phone /track/station/ff/rew/temp/air speed/mute and several other functions are there without going near the ****.
"Oh look the iDrive isn't so bad because you can AVOID using it by pushing buttons."
I do like the direction that BMW took with the new E70... giving the user 8 programmable hard buttons in addition to the i-drive. Now that is cool.. you can program stuff like a phone number, a nav destination (home) favorite CD or radio station..
Yep, BUTTONS--ways to avoid using the iDrive--are great aren't they? The fact that you keep mentioning buttons shows how much you really prefer buttons. With a touch screen you'll be able to continue to push buttons, the on-screen ones. How can you not like it? You don't have to turn/nudge a **** some 16 times to get to the letter P. You just see it and push it. Simple as that. Oh and don't tell me that you can input the P with voice recognition. That's just another way to say the iDrive isn't so bad because you can avoid it by using something else.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 12-08-06 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-08-06, 11:50 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
As have I.Yep.About the only downside reallyNot sure what you mean here. Exactly how are touch screen buttons any more "inconsistent" than ****-controlled menus? All on-screen buttons look like...buttons...to me.What options are available is a totally different subject. Try not to shift the focus of our topic. The "a tone more options available" advantage is not due to the use of an iDrive controller, but simply to the credit of BMW's decision to make them available. The same vast array of tuning options can just as easily made available if not even more so with a touch screen interface. I've always said that my dream setup would be a touch screen with all the fine-tuning access that a BMW iDrive has. Just look at the hidden "technician mode" already available in most Lexus's touch screen units. Many fine-tuning options but far easier and much more intuitive to use than the iDrive. I only wish Lexus can "unhide" the technician mode and offer more options in there.When you take the time to master anything it'll become intuitive of course. But why spend that precious time when a touch screen can get you started in NO time? With touch screens you just push buttons...can it get any more intuitive than that?Again, the fact that you say this shows how bad iDrive is. "Oh look you can AVOID using the cumbersome iDrive because you can push buttons."Yep, buttons--ways to avoid using the iDrive--are great aren't they? With a touch screen you can continue to push buttons, the on-screen ones. You don't have to turn/nudge a **** some 16 times to get to the letter P. You just see it and push it. Simple as that.
You are in denial. Gene's posts was valid. Both systems have flaws. If fingerprints is the only one you have found, I doubt you use the system.

Chat rooms are only effective if folks are truly objective. Waving a Lexus or BMW flag does no one any good.
Old 12-08-06, 11:56 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

You are in denial. Gene's posts was valid. Both systems have flaws. If fingerprints is the only one you have found, I doubt you use the system.

Chat rooms are only effective if folks are truly objective. Waving a Lexus or BMW flag does no one any good.
How about pointing out where in my post shows that I'm in denial and what in post are invalid?

And where in my post am I waving anyone's flag? I was only talking about the pros and cons of the two types of interfaces.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 12-08-06 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-08-06, 11:59 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
How about pointing out where in my post shows that I'm in denial and what in post are invalid?
My mistake. Using a computer with buttons is always easier than using a mouse. That is why the whole mouse idea never took off.
Old 12-08-06, 12:06 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

My mistake. Using a computer with buttons is always easier than using a mouse. That is why the whole mouse idea never took off.
A mouse is good for a personal computer because you have somewhere to rest a mouse to make finer movements. A ****/dial is good for an iPod because the screen is too small for precise screen touching. A touch screen is good for in-car computers because the screen is big enough to accomodate enough fingertip-sized buttons and allows direct access to the functions presented on the screen, minimizing the time the eyes are taken off the road.

Different types of interfaces are suitable for different types of devices. Is that a concept so hard to understand?

Last edited by XeroK00L; 12-08-06 at 12:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus to change their Navigation set-up?!