Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

bmw dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 10:22 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would go to another BMW dealer. My BMW dealer treated me better than my Lexus dealer when it came to sales pitch, & negotiating price. I was offered 4k off MSRP & could not refuse I Guess dealers vary. Heck, you could get a new 328 here in NYC out the door with your offer.
Old 12-08-06, 10:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Yup...

Why not simply replace the "BMW" in the OP's title with just about any brand?

. . . . . . . .

Fine another BMW dealer, no reason to paint the whole brand with the same brush.
I don't think the OP painted the whole brand with the same brush, it's "dealer" with no "s" in the title, he is referring to the "one" dealer he negotiated with
Old 12-08-06, 11:50 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Cuz, why in your right mind you didn,t cuss dude out and if you think the Lexus is nicer why don't you get a different Lexus.
Old 12-09-06, 12:47 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Sounds to me as though you ran up against a BMW dealer who takes pride in his product.

First you ask for a significant discount, then you insult that which you wish discounted.

And you are seriously asking about what happened?

I think you already know the answer to your own question.
I have to agree with this. You ask for ~$7k right off the top then tell him you are he is trying to sell you an inferior product to one which you already own. Sounds to me he may have also had the idea you were just "shopping" with not much intention to actually buy the car and didn't really want to waste time. Did he come out any type of counter offer before you told him his car is inferior?
Old 12-09-06, 08:19 AM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

there wasnt any bashing, it was actually a very simple, honest negotiation. I wanted the car for the price i was willing to pay...and they would even offer to sell it to me at any price because I didnt "love" the BMW.

anyway, I think I am going to check out the Audi's...too bad there isnt an Infiniti dealership in my state
Old 12-09-06, 08:34 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i got a sport/ML IS350 for 1000 over that price
Old 12-09-06, 08:58 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torii
there wasnt any bashing, it was actually a very simple, honest negotiation. I wanted the car for the price i was willing to pay...and they would even offer to sell it to me at any price because I didnt "love" the BMW.

anyway, I think I am going to check out the Audi's...too bad there isnt an Infiniti dealership in my state
Torri,

If you sincerely did like the BMW...here is what i would do if I had the exchange you did with the sales manager.

First recognize that a sales manager has a REALLY stressful job.....then call him up/her up and say when you were there last you created a misunderstanding...you are sincerely interested in a BMW and would like to see if something can be worked out.

Next time you want a really sig discount, just remember that which you wish discounted is not up for anything that even looks like a negative comparison to anything. You wanted a positive outcome but you muddied the negotiation with a negative and you picked the most stressed out guy in the place to visit it on.
Old 12-09-06, 09:49 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I have to agree with this. You ask for ~$7k right off the top then tell him you are he is trying to sell you an inferior product to one which you already own. Sounds to me he may have also had the idea you were just "shopping" with not much intention to actually buy the car and didn't really want to waste time. Did he come out any type of counter offer before you told him his car is inferior?
+1

Something tells me the dealer might have another side to the story. If he was already asking for $2K over sticker (which is crap I agree) and you wanted $7K off that amount, I think I would let you cool your heels a bit too.

However, if you did really like the car, then I would try another dealer - not fair blaming the entire thing on BMW.

side story...
Cousin of mine went to buy a RAV4 a couple of years ago. Dealer pulled some fast ones and REALLY screwed her around. She has since vowed to NEVER own a Toyota product again because of what "TOYOTA" did to her. The fact is, these places are independently owned and the Mfg is limited in recourse. Eitherway, she is in an Explorer today and loves it.
Old 12-09-06, 10:03 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Your problem is with the salesman, not BMW. The salesman at any dealership is the weakest link in the chain. They can make or break a deal.

Here in Sandiego, United Auto owns several dealerships all in a row including Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, Mercedes, and Audi. To UA, they are just cars (widgets) and they all have to be sold. All of the vehicles mentioned are great cars. Depending on your preference you can go for performance or luxury. I would not buy a different car just because my wife already had one of the same. Buy the car that you will enjoy. If you don't like the salesman, there are plenty of others that will work with you.
Old 12-09-06, 05:08 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

he called me at home a few minutes ago and said he might be able to get close to the price I am willing to pay.

things are looking up.
Old 12-10-06, 04:51 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Next time walk out a lot sooner. No car is worth taking abuse to buy. When I bought my first (and I swear only ever) BMW I walked out after five minutes of negotiation. Unfortunately the salesman followed me out to my car and offered another $3k off the car-I spent the next four years wishing he hadn't.
Old 12-10-06, 04:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I say go elsewhere, there is no need to be on the 'guilty' side of the purchasing equation. Regardless of whether they have followed the 'rules' -- one rule reigns supreme: "the customer is always right."

There are gracious ways to handle the customer and not-so-gracious ways. I say, they LOST a customer with their attitude. I recommend purchasing elsewhere. There is also no need to have a negative experience tarring the start of your new relationship with your new car. I suggest going to another dealership, even if it is a bit further away, and getting things done with positive experiences.
Old 12-10-06, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Gotta remember, guys.............Torii is in Alaska. Just telling him to " go to another BMW dealership " may be easier said than done. The BMW website, like that of virtually all auto manufacturers, has a dealer locator by zip code, but, depending on just where in AK he lives, the chances are not very high that you are going to find a Bimmer shop there on every street corner.

Though some BMW customers, like genearch and doug_999, are satisfied with their dealerships, ( and the one I was at the other day reviewing the 550i seemed like a good one, too ), many of them, unfortunately ARE quite arrogant. That is not an opinion, but a fact. I have written and posted extensively in CAR CHAT about this....and similiar attitudes at a lot of Porsche and Mercedes shops. Arrogance, in general, is something that has long characterized the German auto industry....and has only lessened slightly even with Lexus and Infiniti competition. In fact, that is why I did not use the nearest BMW dealership to my house when I tested the 550i. I have never liked that shop...with a few exceptions, it is typical BMW arrogant. The next-closest BMW shop, also much newer, is MUCH better.....and has more uncongested roads for test-drives.....and I even recognized a salesman there I knew long ago from a Toyota dealership now selling Bimmers.

But....being an I-told-you-so is obviously crying over spilled milk and does NOT help Torii with his specific problem. So...what should YOU do, Torii, in this particular instance?

First of all, you say that the dealership called you back. That alone is a good sign. They apparantly are having second thoughts about the way they treated you; maybe don't want to lose a potential customer or sale; and they know that the 3-series, unlike years ago, now has a lot of competition from cars like the Lexus IS250/350, Infiniti G35, and Audi A4/S4. And you are not buying an El Cheapo econobox, either, but a fine sport sedan.....and even the 3-series you are looking at, though inexpensive by BMW standards, is not chump change either, but a $40,000 car.
If you like the car ( and, though BMW's are not the cars for me, I can understand why many people like them.....their steering and chassis refinement is marvelous ) I would forgive the person or persons who snubbed you the other day, start over again, negotiate the best deal you can with them ( they have already indicated they will bargain ) , take your new Bimmer home, and enjoy it ....after a proper break-in, of course.

( You are wise, BTW, to get an 328xi ...its AWD sure-footenedness will come in handy in Alaska's climate, especially if you avoid the summer dry-weather tires. I myself am sold on AWD, even in non-Arctic climates. And be sure, if it applies to your specific car, that you get that free warranty-period maintenence. At typical BMW shop prices, that will save a lot of money...and prices for many things in Alaska, as you no doubt know, are especially high )

Good luck ...let us know how it goes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-06 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-10-06, 06:44 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice catch, I did not see that he was in Alaska. In that case going back would be perhaps the only option if the BMW purchase was still on the table. I however would look at other makes then, and see how their sales service stacks up. In my view a car purchase should start off on the right foot, not be mired in acrimony.
Old 12-10-06, 06:57 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Alaska, I think you should look at getting a SUV. GX,LX,LC or 4runner.

Quick Reply: bmw dealer