Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

bmw dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06 | 01:33 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

A4 2.0T Quattro and chip it.
Old 12-11-06 | 02:11 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Torii, if they treated you that way to begin with, don't be so sure you aren't in for another dealership waiting experience to see exactly how much your time is worth to you and how much you want the bimmer. There isn't any reason why you can't negotiate on the phone other than playing their power buying game. It may not make any difference but I have bought a couple of cars through Carsdirect (not pushing them, there might be some other internet sites just as good but this is the one I have experience with) as I am entertained by the car buying experience about as much as going to go see a Mel Gibson produced movie. Maybe they won't have a dealer in your area but enter in your zip code, configure the car, and see what price it gives you. If you like it, let them arrange delivery and skip trying to figure out some BMW salesmen's personality "quirks".
Old 12-11-06 | 06:36 PM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
German dealerships like BMW are not set up for walk-ins. Most folks do not buy a BMW like a toaster. The call the dealership or use internet sales and work with a sales advisor.

There are a lot more options when buying a BMW. Sales, leasing,european delivery, custom ordering, special options, body work options, Dinan performance upgrades, etc. Also, the typical BMW driver is not looking for basic transportation, but a car to suit their needs. There are just a ton of options, sedan, wagons, convertibles, 3/5/6/7 series, M3/5/6, I6/turbo 6/V8/V12, etc.

If you just walk in, they assume you are already working with someone. It is not about the attire. I have bought BMW's in flip flops and a t-shirt and was treated well.

When working with a sales advisor, it is not uncommon to take car for the weekend and try it out. Although it may seem like they are not good at customer service, they are. They are just focused on real customers and not looky Lou's. BMW generates so much excitement with the younger crowd, they always get kids in there who cannot afford the cars wasting their time.

I also think there is more sales pressure on the Japanese brands which is why the sales people watch the lot like hawks.

Each BMW dealer only gets so many cars per year (dealer allocation). The cars can be custom ordered to the customer's preference and arrive within 6-8 weeks. Every car going down the BMW assembly line can be different. The manufacturing line is currently being studied by the Japanese. It is truly amazing. All this and they can still offer competitive pricing and lease deals.

very true!

worked with a sales advisor when dealing for an m3, walked in with shorts, tank top, and slippers.....at first i was ignored.....then pulled out my down payment, i wasn't lonely for too long, found the guy i talked to over the phone, 3 hours later, had my order for my car

don't matter what age you are, or how you look like, money talks

and btw, i still think lexus dealerships treated me nicer than bmw...