Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wow, GM is actually producing the HHR Panel?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-06, 04:23 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really doubting that the cost of them creating this light commercial use model was anything significant when they already had the HHR designed. So even if it only sells a few thousand a year it was probably worth it to them.

With that said the HHR is probably among my least favorite cars on the market today in terms of interior and exterior styling.
Old 12-10-06, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I'm really doubting that the cost of them creating this light commercial use model was anything significant when they already had the HHR designed. So even if it only sells a few thousand a year it was probably worth it to them.

With that said the HHR is probably among my least favorite cars on the market today in terms of interior and exterior styling.
The factory cost of converting the windows version to the panel version should be very small. And, once the conversion is done, the panel version, obviously, can be built even cheaper than the passenger version because it uses fewer materials...........and, as I mentioned earlier...even the passenger version is CHEAP.

You may not like its styling ( and yes, I agree the styling is controversial ).
I generally DO like the styling....but little else about the vehicle. It drives poorly and has very poor fit-and-finish....some of the worst fit-and-finish I have seen outside of Dodge-built compacts.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-06 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-10-06, 04:43 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The factory cost of converting the windows version to the panel version should be very small. And, once the conversion is done, the panel version, obviously, can be built even cheaper than the passenger version because it uses fewer materials...........and, as I mentioned earlier...even the passenger version is CHEAP
I figured the cost of materials would actually be less, but there is always a cost associated with any additional design options including things like paying the engineers to create and test an alternative design like this, the factory tooling, additions to the service manual, etc, etc...

But in this case I still have to assume the cost is pretty minimal
Old 12-10-06, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I figured the cost of materials would actually be less, but there is always a cost associated with any additional design options including things like paying the engineers to create and test an alternative design like this, the factory tooling, additions to the service manual, etc, etc...

But in this case I still have to assume the cost is pretty minimal
True....but obviously, a panel version will soon recover the small cost of conversion, simply from the fact that it will use less glass, have simpler body stampings, have fewer seats, less carpet, less sound insulation, fewer belts, airbags, cupholders, arm rests, etc........
Old 12-10-06, 07:23 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the point of a panel version? Why is that beneficial for commercial use?

And what's the deal with Chevy saying they're #1 in full-size trucks? I thought that was Ford's deal. Maybe Chevy + GMC, but not Chevy alone...
Old 12-10-06, 07:28 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incendiary
What's the point of a panel version? Why is that beneficial for commercial use?

And what's the deal with Chevy saying they're #1 in full-size trucks? I thought that was Ford's deal. Maybe Chevy + GMC, but not Chevy alone...
Silverado and Sierra are and always have been 99% rebadges with a few changes in packaging configuration and then more recently a couple of unique models like the Denali and SS.

They've always combined the sales numbers when making that statement and when they make that statement they'll either say "GM" instead of Chevy, or they'll have a footnote that says Sierra and Silverado sales combined.
Old 12-10-06, 08:49 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Commercial users prefer an enclosed, windowless box for security reasons. Putting your tools and cargo on display invites theft, while eliminating glass reduces the ease of a smash and grab operation.

The need for smaller panel/delivery vehicles corresponds to the downsizing of a lot of equipment. I used to have to haul over 800 lbs of gear into the field - requiring at least a 3/4-ton Suburban, if not a 3-ton "bread van". Today it all fits under the roller shade of my RX. Other businesses have had similar or even more dramatic reduction in the bulk and weight of field equipment. A Pocket PC can often replace two six-foot racks of electronics in many data acquisition and analysis applications.
Old 12-10-06, 09:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

I think your Integra By Bob Vila guy needs one of these.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=253206
Old 12-10-06, 09:27 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Commercial users prefer an enclosed, windowless box for security reasons. Putting your tools and cargo on display invites theft, while eliminating glass reduces the ease of a smash and grab operation.

The need for smaller panel/delivery vehicles corresponds to the downsizing of a lot of equipment. I used to have to haul over 800 lbs of gear into the field - requiring at least a 3/4-ton Suburban, if not a 3-ton "bread van". Today it all fits under the roller shade of my RX. Other businesses have had similar or even more dramatic reduction in the bulk and weight of field equipment. A Pocket PC can often replace two six-foot racks of electronics in many data acquisition and analysis applications.
I figured as much, but thought I'd ask for confirmation. Thanks.