Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2 DUI's, 2 crashed cars in 6 hours

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-06, 03:53 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet he asked the cops to let him drive to jail But seriously someone like this isnt going to learn from this and even if you take his license away he will still drive, he needs to stay in prison
Old 12-14-06, 01:41 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Such a law is already on the books in Texas. The second conviction on DUI charges allows the judge to have a Breath Alcohol Ignition Interlock Device (BAIID) installed on an individual's car as a condition of his sentence. The trouble is that very few judges exercise this option. Only a tiny percent of DUI convictions are required to have a BAIID.

Underage drinkers who test with ANY level of alcohol in their bloodstream may have a BAIID attached to their car - on the FIRST offense.

Why are these are options and not mandatory?

Maybe because we elect our judges in Texas?
Not knocking the above idea as unsound or anything like that, but keep in mind that such a device would only prevent said drunk person from starting that car...it won't prevent some guy from either borrowing someone else's car or renting a car prior to hitting the watering holes...

To a habitual drunk who owns a car w/ such a device installed--when he sees it, there's no guarantee he'd be telling himself, "Ummm, I guess I better not drive drunk..."; rather, it would not be surprising if he's thinking to himself, "Hmmm, maybe I better go find another car to drive...". Sure, not all drunk drivers would be willing to go through so much in order to secure a car...but at the same time, if some drunk wanted to drive no matter what--there is really nothing that can be done to prevent him from doing so...even if he doesn't have his license on him.