Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just got 4 tickets $700...lol

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-06, 11:55 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lot's of opinions here. Sure glad all you kids think that cops are just waiting for 21 year olds in "modded" cars to fill up the ticket book. Maybe you should get to know a cop and see a few things from their side. Let's see, 60 in the 45, and even you say you were doing 60, I doubt you will beat the pacing - that is a legitimate way for the cop to establish your speed. All tickets based on the airplane here in Cali are from pacing. Word of advice, cops aren't stupid and they actually have heard about radar detectors (might come as a shock to you) and they are pretty proficient at getting you without using radar so the detector isn't as much protection as you might think.

The sudden lane change issue? Unless you were getting ready to get on a ramp going the wrong way (and I would hope he would have given you a ticket for that), you could have just admitted you made the wrong turn, continued onto the ramp and just doubled back rather than make a sudden lane change at 15 mph over the speed limit. Costs you a few minutes and doesn't endanger either you or anyone else. I don't know what grounds you or the lawyer you will pay will find to argue out of this one.

Most states have rules on having the vehicle insured but carrying proof of insurance is another piece of legislation. You didn't have the proof of insurance in the car so there is nothing to argue. You can argue you had the insurance but unless Texas specifically states that you must have insurance but don't have to carry the proof of it in the car, sounds like you are also guilty of this one. As for no front plate, maybe Texas treats that like a fixit but what grounds would you argue on that you didn't deserve the citation? You have an invisible license plate? It's either there or it isn't. If Texas requires it you have to have it. Most police will not pull over for not having it, it isn't worth their time, unless they see something else you are doing that is noteworthy then they just start the tab running.

If the judge decides to let you off don't expect the cop to come up and apoligize and beg your forgiveness or tell you how bad he feels for stopping you. As far as I can see from your own story, seems like he got everything right and did his job.