Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Old 01-09-15, 03:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Police alerted to use of not easily seen back armrest compartment in an Infiniti G35

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-06, 10:37 AM
LexFather

Post Police alerted to use of not easily seen back armrest compartment in an Infiniti G35

http://www.newsday.com/news/lo...story

Quote, originally posted by Newsday »
Cops: Car's nook can hide gun
Police alerted to use of not easily seen back armrest compartment in an Infiniti G35 that could stash a weapon
BY ROCCO PARASCANDOLA
Newsday Staff Writer

December 15, 2006
Infiniti prides itself on quality and luxury. Now the car has a less desirable association: The NYPD has told its officers to watch for a backseat compartment that can easily hide a gun.

According to an internal police memo obtained by Newsday, officers on Staten Island were alarmed to learn that the 2006 Infiniti G35 is equipped with a hidden backseat storage area.

Police supervisors were notified and the department issued a memo to all commands.

"Uniformed members of the service are cautioned to use extreme vigilance and remain alert for hidden compartments when conducting car stops and searching vehicles," the memo reads.

An accompanying photo shows a handgun fitting into the compartment, which is located on the side of a larger compartment that holds cups and can be lifted and pushed into the backseat, out of view.

An NYPD spokesman said the memo was the result of police learning of the compartment from another law enforcement agency. It was not discovered during a police investigation, such as searching the car of a drug suspect.

Infiniti was surprised to learn of the memo.

A company spokesman said the 2006 G35, as well as the 2007 model - which cost about $31,000 each - comes equipped with a standard first aid kit. The location? The secret compartment.

"That's what the spot is for," said Infiniti spokesman Scott Vazin. "It's not for any illegal contraband, such as weapons. It's certainly not the intention we had, to promote illicit activity. Infiniti is about luxury and performance."

Criminals routinely have secret compartments - sometimes accessible only by pushing buttons on the car's stereo or by connecting hidden wires - built into their vehicles to hold guns, drugs and cash.

In July, for instance, police found a hidden storage area under the central console of a 2006 Nissan belonging to an alleged Manhattan drug dealer.

Two years ago, police in Spanish Harlem who pulled over a man driving erratically found drugs on the backseat of the 1996 Mercury, and a further search of the car revealed a hidden motorized trapdoor behind the backseat. Police needed a hammer to pry open the door.

Inside, they found more than four kilograms of cocaine and crack, a loaded pistol, 200 bullets, a scale and more than $10,000 in cash.

Hiding place

Police believe a storage compartment in the Infiniti G35 may provide criminals with a place to store weapons, particularly handguns.

Infiniti G35 rear storage area

Located in back armrest of vehicle

Part of G35 model since 2003

Designed role: First-aid storage

Old 12-16-06, 10:41 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's funny - related note: the 335i has a "secret" compartment in the trunk. Same reason, but it's pretty hard to find if you don't know it's there! Seems like all the cars I own have secret gun holding compartments...
Old 12-16-06, 10:48 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I think all vehicles have secret compartments anyways.
Old 12-16-06, 02:32 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Funny thing is, my 04 G35 I never knew about that compartment till 6 months later. hehe. But I know our 06 RL has a hidden one right above the normal glove box. You open the glove box, then inside of it, there is another one up above it you can not see at all. You have to feel for the button and push it then it opens down. It fits the owners manual inside of this.
Old 12-16-06, 03:13 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Thats funny. I mean I never did get why media releases stuff like this. I mean now since its been released, everyone and their brother that owns a G35 will know that they can hide stuff there. I'm not saying that they didn't know about the spot but now they know they can hide guns and what not.
Old 12-16-06, 03:32 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

around here they would hide drugs rather than weapons.
Old 12-16-06, 03:41 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

At least Infiniti is getting some publicity (good or bad). Will Infiniti and other car manufacturers redesign "secret compartments" now? I hope not. It's nice to store things out of the way and out of sight...
Old 12-16-06, 08:00 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Its like the McLAREN F1 the small boot on both sides of the car, not sure how many people know about it.