Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

FX45 Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06 | 10:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I got to test drive an X3 and that rode harsh already
I can't imagine(esp. the FX) anything being harsher than that.
The X3 is harsh indeed, although BMW softened it up slightly in later models due to customer complaints.

The FX, likewise was harsh-riding in early models ( the FX45 more so than the FX35 ) but was also softened up by Infiniti a little, like the X3.

When you have a high center of gravity and want to prevent body roll in turns, you have to have firmness in the suspension, anti-roll bars, and tires....even if you have a trick or electronic suspension with multi-valve shocks that allow you to have a relatively smooth ride on straight roads.

And the FX45, being a potential lower-price competitor to the Porsche Cayenne ( but without the Cayenne's off-road capability ), is, of course, designed primarily for performance....and, like with you, the suspension is also a little too harsh for my tastes.....even after the softening.
Old 12-20-06 | 11:45 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Nice on the outside, eh not so nice inside. I love how they sound though.
Old 12-20-06 | 11:53 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Everytime I see/hear/think/fart about an FX-series, I think of this:

I dont know how to describe it, but the FX looks like Darkwing's head

Please dont flame me

Old 12-20-06 | 11:55 AM
pvo
Lead Lap

I owned the FX45 for a couple of months or so. I like the look of both interior and exterior. However like others said, the ride is very harsh. The materials are not that good though, especially the seats.
Old 12-20-06 | 12:59 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Never rode in one before...but from its looks, I'd get one over the rx (if I had the $$ )
Old 12-20-06 | 02:43 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

We have one and we have spanked the hell out of it mileage wise (we are about to cross over 80,000 miles and we haven't heard not a single peep in the two full years of ownership). While I agree that the styling is not for everyone, I've noticed that it has a styling for those that are more into the tech side of things. Sharp angles and lines on the outside set it apart from anything else on the road. The ride is a bit on the harsh side, but then again, all these cars with modded suspensions don't ride like pillows either. It depends on what you plan on using it for if it is practical or not. If it's just a ride to get to work and home, with the occasional stop at the grocery store, then it's perfect. But if you do plan on getting bigger items, such as plants, trees, and a lot of bigger things, then you'd probably be better suited with a "Real" SUV. The FX makes no claims about being an SUV... it says it right on the sticker that it's a Cross-over. So, it lives up to exactly what it was designed for. The whole third window blind spot thing is a little bit misrepresented though... I've driven it NUMEROUS times, and never had a problem with the "blind spot." That third window is indeed useless, but it's not like you wont see a car if you use your mirrors and looking over your shoulder. It's just like any other car.

Personally, I think it's an awesome ride... It has much more of a solid feel on the road compared to the RX. Unlike the RX, the FX comes in either RWD or AWD... so it never feels like a car on stilts. The steering isn't as loosey goosey as the RX either. My advice is to get it. But, I'm only speaking from experience.
Old 12-20-06 | 02:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stage3
Personally, I think it's an awesome ride... It has much more of a solid feel on the road compared to the RX. Unlike the RX, the FX comes in either RWD or AWD... so it never feels like a car on stilts. The steering isn't as loosey goosey as the RX either. My advice is to get it. But, I'm only speaking from experience.

Well, to an extent, you're comparing apples and oranges. The RX, unlike the FX, was designed to be a relaxing, silent, refined, plush, all-weather vehicle.....and in this it truly excels. The FX was designed for people who want something with AWD, sitting high off the ground, but that they can throw around corners without flipping it over......hence the stiff underpinnings and performance tires. The RX is simply not designed to handle or ride like that.......hence your comment about "loosey-goosey" steering. Those who want race-car handling in a crossover SUV should look elsewhere.