Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Average American millionaire drives a Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-06, 11:28 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Well, to be fair that isn't exactly the point. Yes, you can save a million dollars by the time you reach 62 years of age, but a million at that point in time is going to be like 100K at age 21. Still a nice chunk of change by today's standards, but not enough to live on once you retire. If I reached 62 and only had 100K to live on for the remainder of my life, I'd be living in poverty.

The point is that these people achieve millionaire (+) status at an early age, through spending and investing wisely. By not living extravagantly, driving a Lexus with a $650/mo payment, living in 500K homes, and eating out every night.
My point is talking about 'a millionaire' does not mean much, if we're talking about having $1M right now, today that's not what it used to be.

You can't very likely live off $1M for the rest of your life, it's peanuts (IMO) so the fact that a lot of people have net worth of $1M is not that impressive, they are not rich people so it's not a shock that they drive a Toyota.

IMO "Rich people" have several million.

My point was just being a millionaire (that is $1M or more in net worth) does not take a lot, something like saving $20/day for 30 years and you have a million. Nost people can and should put away $20/day. If you can't save $20/day than IMO you are living over your head. But unfortunatly in the US many many people don't save anything. And I bet a lot of people 'look' well off such as driving BMWs and Lexus but they aren't saving for retirement, and thats part of the point of this thread.

I see no harm in buying a nice car. If you make a good living any you save a lot for retirement and you like nice cars then it's fine to buy as nice of a car as you can afford. I don't believe in saving to the point that you can't enjoy life today.
Old 12-21-06, 12:23 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rai
You can't very likely live off $1M for the rest of your life, it's peanuts (IMO)
I'll bet I could, no problem. You invest it properly, and live off of only the proceeds, you'd be doing very well.
Old 12-21-06, 12:57 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

yep I've known this since reading "The Millionaire Next Door".

I always buy used reliable Toyota/Lexus/Hondas. Completely debt free and loving every minute of it!

You don't get wealthy buying new luxury cars. Wait 3 years and then get the same car used.
Old 12-21-06, 02:27 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

One thing I agree is having a lot of money but no one you love to share the money with wouldn't make you happy. Having a lovely wife and lovely kids and healthy happy parents would make you happier than having a million dollars in my opinion. Having a million dollars is rich enough, net worth or not. No matter how rich you are, you sleep on only ONE bed. You drive a top end Benz sedan? So what? You still will get stuck between traffic, same as a Toyota. You have a private jet? I don't see how much better you could be beside you could ram your beautiful mistress on the jet when I bought a economy class ticket and stuck on a small seat for hours. I could live with that. There is no difference in causing happiness once you reach a certain wealth level.
Old 12-21-06, 06:22 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
One thing I agree is having a lot of money but no one you love to share the money with wouldn't make you happy. Having a lovely wife and lovely kids and healthy happy parents would make you happier than having a million dollars in my opinion. Having a million dollars is rich enough, net worth or not. No matter how rich you are, you sleep on only ONE bed. You drive a top end Benz sedan? So what? You still will get stuck between traffic, same as a Toyota. You have a private jet? I don't see how much better you could be beside you could ram your beautiful mistress on the jet when I bought a economy class ticket and stuck on a small seat for hours. I could live with that. There is no difference in causing happiness once you reach a certain wealth level.

One thing everything in life has pros and cons.
Old 12-21-06, 07:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I guess what he's saying is what's the point of becoming a millionaire if what you have is a number in your bank account/portfolio, but you can't even enjoy something more luxurious than a Toyota & other luxuries.
You don't have to be a millionaire to be happy as long as you are enjoying what you think are the pleasures of life & is financially secure & not living beyond your means.

I do think you have to differentiate between people who take different paths in becoming millionaires. Those who are frugal ( & drive Toyota's etc.) are probably those that do it the hard(& slow) way. Whereas those who became millionaires very quickly from very high paying jobs, starting fast growing businesses & leveraging investments etc. are those who probably will spend their money on luxury more freely. I guess the former type probably constitute the majority.

You can also spend money on luxury items without being wasteful. Don't buy luxury items you don't need, like more than one home, multiple designer clothings that you don't wear more than once, excessive expensive jeweleries, trading multiple expensive cars every year (or even every few months, I've known a guy who does that).

I guess buying a Lexus & keeping it for at least 5 or 6 years or longer is OK.
honestly, I dont think that having an expensive car means you are enjoying your life. Buying something expensive doesnt make you happier.
Old 12-21-06, 07:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
My point is talking about 'a millionaire' does not mean much, if we're talking about having $1M right now, today that's not what it used to be.

You can't very likely live off $1M for the rest of your life, it's peanuts (IMO) so the fact that a lot of people have net worth of $1M is not that impressive, they are not rich people so it's not a shock that they drive a Toyota.

IMO "Rich people" have several million.

My point was just being a millionaire (that is $1M or more in net worth) does not take a lot, something like saving $20/day for 30 years and you have a million. Nost people can and should put away $20/day. If you can't save $20/day than IMO you are living over your head. But unfortunatly in the US many many people don't save anything. And I bet a lot of people 'look' well off such as driving BMWs and Lexus but they aren't saving for retirement, and thats part of the point of this thread.

I see no harm in buying a nice car. If you make a good living any you save a lot for retirement and you like nice cars then it's fine to buy as nice of a car as you can afford. I don't believe in saving to the point that you can't enjoy life today.
please DO NOT read the article before you comment on it

:-)
Old 12-22-06, 04:02 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

It depends on the type of person.

If Im wealthy, Im personally going to own a few expensive cars, because that is my hobby!

But I would not own a ranch with horses, or an expensive wine collection because that is NOT my hobby. Most people are not car enthusiasts, so it makes sense.
Old 12-22-06, 07:56 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

The otehr thing to consider is that in 2006, baby-boomers are getting ripe so if net-worth is the criteria, you have a lot of retired folks on the list. What do retired folks drive? Sienna's, Camry's, Accords, ....not very many of them are buying Buick's and Caddies any more.