Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When will the next modding boom hit CL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06, 02:04 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same, I stopped modding because its just getting old. And plus California law really hits hard for smogging. Modding seems more of a waste of money now then anything.
Old 12-22-06, 03:42 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Everyone has touched on 'reasons' why there has been a slow down and Id have to agree with them all.

I think Lexus needs to come out with a better coupe. I would have liked a newer Lexus last Fall, but that SL5 had my name on it

I havent done anything to my SC400 in years.....BUT I've got a Kick *** SC300 project that Im starting on.
Old 12-22-06, 05:33 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

There have been a few threads in other sections that are around this issue IMO. The 2GS430 was about as performance competitive as Lexus got. Not running down the IS 350 but the 3GS430 is not performance step up from my 2GS430. Remember the howls when the 2GS430 was picked over the 540i? Now the brand new LS460 finishes last among five high end sedans and the GS isn't in the running against the 550 let alone the M45. Hybrids? I don't feel like rewinding motors, got enough of that as a teenager with slot cars and I won't be chopping up power tools for Lithium polymer power packs either. Of course, like the second coming, the 460 is coming. Probably after every other model that it is suited for gets it.

There was a different crowd here five years ago and the GS brought them in. Whether the perception here is that Lexus is performance oriented or not, I just don't believe Lexus wants to be. It was interesting on the other thread how adamant people were that Lexus was performance, if not sport, oriented brand. Not this or that model, but entire brand. If that is the case, then I don't know what luxury brand is less performance/sport oriented. Maybe Lincoln.

The upcoming F whatever may put a bigger motor in the LS but that is one part. Whether the rest of the package is there we will have to wait and see. People liked the IS when it was introduced but the consensus is if you wnt a true alternative to a 3, shop Infiniti. History is not on the side of Lexus delivering a sport sedan.

I also can't tell you the number of activities I have been in that just get strangled over the years. Cars had a bit of a reprieve although octane is still not such to be kind to much compression. Now you are going to soon run into problems just changing wheels unless you can get the mandated passive pressure sensors to work. As far as modding is concerned, tires, wiper blades, and filters will likely be the only legal ones in Cali. If you want "fun to drive" it will be far easier to buy it from the factory and that is the reason why my wife and I will shop other brands before Lexus. Just the way it is. Reliability and scushy ride may not be enough. As for Lexus quiet, talk to a GS owner with ten or fifteen thousand miles on their performance tires. Quiet? It just isn't there. Before any flaming starts I have no animosity towards Lexus. I just don't think they want me as a customer. So it's just time to move on. No Lexus, no modding.
Old 12-24-06, 08:46 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just caught this thread. I think winter plays a big role for lots of people. Guys who have cold winters do their work than so that they can drop something new for spring and summer. Us warmer states guys probably take winters off aswell to well at least i do cuz its when the show season ends in Dec and than starts up again around April so its the time where we do what we can.

As fas as the cars go I think we're gonna start to really see what people can with these cars as the market for them has come down as far as price of car and also with the help of big places like Carson, D2 and High society we can get our hands on stuff we only dreamed about before so I think 07 will be a big splash year for a lot of guys since we have more to choose from. I remember when I 1st got my car I had about 3 choices as far as kit, L-sportline, RMM, Explosion with TTe lip and l-tuned as our other options. Now we have so much at our finger tips its just amazing. I look forward to seeing what some of the guys have up their sleeves for 07. Including you Neo..
Old 12-24-06, 10:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,395 Likes on 1,569 Posts

My $0.02...

Most modding has been on IS, GS, SC.

Of the newest versions the new IS is being modded most probably, but the current SC430 is very boring compared to the old SC, and the new GS is just not that special compared to the old one (for its time).

And people buying older SC, GS, IS at this time aren't spending much for the vehicles so I doubt they're into spending a bundle on the mods like many of us did.
Old 12-24-06, 10:51 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope you are right bluelex but I've felt this lull for about a year now. It seems more than a winter thing. We'll just have to wait and see. For right now, I just cannot see the 3GS platform being modded like the 2GS. I've learned to like the 3GS on its own merits. Only time will tell if the 3rd party support will be there.
Old 12-24-06, 10:52 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

It will come back when I buy my next SC300 after July of next year!
Old 12-25-06, 01:52 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

After been a member for about five years, I also feel most of the LS owners don't mod their cars no more. There are more of older LS owners now on the forum, but there are also many young members that can barely afford their used LS400s.....and just throw whatever mods on their cars.
After owning LS400 & LS430 and dumped loads of money into modding, I guess my age has caught up with me. Catching too much attentions with my VIP, hard to get in/out the parking lot driveways to prevent bodykit/exhausts scraping. Lately, I rather drive my girlfriend's Legacy and blend into the crowd.

Yea, CL was more exciting with Mike (Manaray) around
Old 12-25-06, 01:58 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I think we can all agree that the 2 Gen is a pretty special car.. Way ahead of its time as far as options go and now the newer cars seem like they are just now getting what the GS had 7 years ago IMO.

As far as the 3rd Gen goes it may be to early to tell but i hope there's bigger plans for mods in 07 with the 3 Gen.. It would nice to see more modded 3 Gen on CL.. and people taking it to next level like we do with the 2 Gen.

We have also received a lot of new members here with in the last year in the 2 Gen forums.. so they have the mod bug and probably have big plans for 07.

GL CL
Old 12-25-06, 03:19 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neo hit the nail right on the head.
Old 12-25-06, 09:02 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm waiting for spring to put on new wheels and I'm hoping the car
will look much slicker then, since I am getting bored with the OEM
18's.

The brushed aluminum finish does not take too well to the salt
Old 12-25-06, 09:31 AM
LexFather

Great thread NEO. My thoughts
1. Change is good but many of us don't like it. We all wish (being 2GS owners) the 3GS pushed all the right buttons but it didn't. Though I do remember, the 2GS forum didn't really take off until after 2001. So that means the 3GS forum would not pick up until 2008 or so.
2. Old tech vs new Tech. Funny but though a 2GS is more advanced to most cars on the road, compared to the 3GS its old! What I am saying is, we can slap bars and suspensions and turbos etc on older Lexus and either people have figured it out or its not a problem.
With the NEW generation of Lexus (and ALL new cars) the technology is making it tougher and more expensive to mod. We can't just add turbos, look at the compression of the new engines! Now Lexus offers ****, instead of us having to add say TRD sway bars and adjustable sways will always be better.
Technology can be good and bad.
3. Do we visit the new forums as much to make these comments? I say that b/c we do have some "NEW AGE O.Gs" that are the FIRST to add and try things on the 3GS and 2IS. It may seem slow to us but there are those TRYING like our O.Gs did years ago.
4. bitkahuna told me this and I now agree. The 2IS is the TRUE spiritual successor to the 2GS. Both debuted fastest in class. Both were the "badass" Lexus. Both attracted new people to the brand. The 3GS simply could not do that offering the SAME engine many of us have. Also the marketing changed... no more
"SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES"
instead we got quite frankly, boring ads I can barely recall

My prediction?

The next big boom will be with the 2IS in about 2 years when that car hits the low to mid $20,000 price range.

Old 12-25-06, 10:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,395 Likes on 1,569 Posts

1SICKLEX - first off, Merry Christmas, bud.

Good points, particularly about it probably going to take time for the new models. I would add though (in support of what you also said) that if the first 'F' model to come out is the IS-F it's going to indelibly stamp the IS as the hot one to have.

I just don't see a GS-F.
Old 12-25-06, 01:43 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

To spend 20k & up to mod an older car, one can use it to get a brand new performance car that can potentially outperform the very car you spent thousands of bucks modding. 20k is a nice chunk to pay down on a new Mitsubishi Evo, BMW 335, Lexus IS350, and many more.
Old 12-25-06, 02:01 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I agree totally with Ron430 and 1SickLex. The 2GS was just a rare car for Lexus, it was one of those special cars that don't come around too often. The combination of performance, style, luxury, etc. was almost unparalleled when the car debuted.

A few months ago on the 2GS forums there was a link to a car dealer's ad. The dealer was trying to sell a 2GS and the ad was filled with the requisite dealer hyperbole. One thing that a few of the members mentioned as being outrageous was how the dealer referred to the 2GS as one of "The best sedans (maybe he said 'cars' I can't remember) in the world". When I thought about it, that statement is not that far fetched.

When the GS400 came out in late 1997 the only sedan that you could say was unquestionably superior to the GS was the M5. And the M5 was much more expensive. The 540i with a 6-speed was probably faster and better-handling as well. I can't think of any other sedan produced during that time that could compete with the GS as far as luxury, style and performance. Of course you have your S600s, BMW 750is, Jag XJRs, LS400s, and Bentley Arnages, but those cars didn't perform as well as the GS400 and were way more expensive. The 2GS's acceleration, braking and handling were world class at the time. Not to mention that it was cheaper (and arguably better looking) than every other car mentioned in this paragraph as well!

The GS400 was truly ahead of its time. Fast forward to 2005 when the 3GS comes out and there are so many cars that have caught up and surpassed the GS in style and performance. When you can buy a Chryslerthat is not only faster, but looks better (and is probably cheaper) than a GS430 or 350, you know Lexus has fallen behind. The new GS is a good car, but that's not 'good' enough these days

I have never liked Lexus. Their focus on luxury above all else is not what I, or the average 23 year old male is looking for. The only cars in the history of Lexus that I would consider buying are the 2GS, the old SC (I don't even want to get into how Lexus dropped the ball with the SC430), and the new IS350 (if they offered it with a stick). This is why I agree wholeheartedly when 1SickLex says the new IS is the spiritual successor to the 2GS. These 3 cars are the only ones since Lexus got its start that were a big step above what the other car companies were offering in style, luxury and performance, which is important to the young male demographic that makes up the majority of the modding community.

Quick Reply: When will the next modding boom hit CL?