Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When will the next modding boom hit CL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-06, 03:49 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default When will the next modding boom hit CL?

Maybe it is just the winter and lots of pleasant surprises will reveal themselves in the spring but it feels like a lull has hit CL. Maybe it is just me.

It feels similar (but not exactly) to the early days of CL. Traditionally, modding-wise, CL has always been GS-centric with the SC guys right on the GS tail. There is not as strong of an IS presence as on my.is so I am talking about more modding activity on CL. As for the SUVs, ES, and LS, there just is not enough modding there. Sorry guys. I love those cars too but this is just history.

Anyway, in those early days, members were modding their cars but for me, it did not hit its peak until 02-04. This, not accicently, coincided with aftermarket parts becoming more available. This was when you saw the rivalry/comraderie of LXOGOOD and Bluelex in building their show cars. This was when TTurbopimp went TT not once but twice. Of course, there were guys like RMMGS4, rominl, DaveGS4, BananaGS, D2 (when he was still DGOT20s), JunctionGS, TLW, Manaray to name ONLY a few.

There was a frenzy, excitement buzzing around CL. These guys (along with a number of others that I don't have time to list ) are either gone/less active or are so far modded (come on, full kit and/or full suspension and/or engine work (FI) and/or full electronics and/or high end wheels and/or one-off custom work) to cause quite the same stir and impact they did before. I know there have been members like SocalSC4 who recently revealed a work of art but that has been in the works for awhile. There still isn't the same kind of buzz. Then again, maybe it is just me.

What has changed? One factor is decribed above as the "players" reaching a plateau. Another, is the "next gens" coming along. We now have new SC, GS, IS, LS, ES vehicles. Although some members are already actively modding the SC430s, 3GS, and 2IS, the plethora of parts just isn't there yet. For example, how many Wald SC430s do we have?

It just feels like the modding on CL is in a holding pattern. What will happen next? With the 2GS price drops bring in new members and modding excitement? There are still 2GS members modding strong but will there be enough to recapture the "good ole days"? Will the SC430 continue its rise in visibility with the quality modding CL members are doing? Will the 3GS and 2IS parts start to flood in and they show the "curent gen" domination? Will these current gens take the focus? When will all this happen?

I don't have answers. I still enjoy, for the most part, the comraderie of the CL membership. I applaud the members who are still pushing forward. Still, with the quality pioneer work started by some of the early members, a lot of the current members have benefited by being able to spend wisely. The problem with this is that there is not the same level of Oohs and Aahs and "How did you do that?" and "Where did you get that?" and "At least we now know not to do that. ".

I am waiting for and anticipating the next wave. I am ready to get out of this lull. But then again, maybe it is just me.
Old 12-21-06, 05:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

CAR modding you say?
Old 12-21-06, 05:22 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neo you are right. I am not that active anymore on this site, well not as much as I used to be when I was modding my old lex. After I sold that one and bought my house I think the car took a back seat.
I have a 03 gs430 now and this hurts to say but I like driving it stock. I must be getting old.
I love to still surf though and see what the new guys are doing.
Old 12-21-06, 05:32 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I agree with you even if this is also sadly true for the SUV segment, including those of my RX300 colleagues.

I too remember in the earlier days of CL that so many RX owners would talk about this and that and there was a lot more talk about performance modifications with regard to my vehicles than now.

I don't if it is a change in priorities on the part of the vehicle owners, more difficult to make modifications with the modern technology (though eventually the modifications where aftermarket or custom homemade).

In my case, I have very little time as much as I had before including a turbo project that I hope to get started up in May when I think things will be a little calmer.
Old 12-21-06, 06:45 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm just Lazy
Old 12-21-06, 06:59 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Neo you are right. I am not that active anymore on this site, well not as much as I used to be when I was modding my old lex. After I sold that one and bought my house I think the car took a back seat.
I have a 03 gs430 now and this hurts to say but I like driving it stock. I must be getting old.
I love to still surf though and see what the new guys are doing.
Couldn't agree with you more Jeff!
Old 12-21-06, 07:17 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think some folks are just moving on... SCs and 2GSs are becoming reasonable to purchase on the used car market, but some of the new buyers of these used vehicles may be too financially stretched to go nutty on the cars with three-piece wheels, JP kits, etc. the way us old timers did (we bought our cars when they were new or newer and perhaps we have a bit more disposable income to dump into mods).

Probably a few have jumped to newer cars and have re-prioritized their expenditures; buying a home, having kids, etc. will re-adjust your spending habits in a hurry.

Some of us have taken on additional projects; I built an NSX earlier this year, and when I find time I work a little on my MR2 and my brother's AE86... house projects have also kept me busy, doing wood floors, moving doorways, repainting, etc.

I'm still trying to represent the 2GS with my hammered blue beast!
I'm one of those guys who will ALWAYS have a cool car; it's in my blood!
Old 12-21-06, 08:41 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Probably a few have jumped to newer cars and have re-prioritized their expenditures; buying a home, having kids, etc. will re-adjust your spending habits in a hurry.
Changing priorities is definitely an issue. I've often considered a 2nd GS (430) project but I cannot really justify the expense. Plus, I really have no room in the garage for 2 GS.
Old 12-21-06, 10:35 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have noticed this as well neo.. my opinion on that is.. its it dying off a little cause i remember when i had my first lexus LS 400 i used to tell people i had a lex and they were impressed (sorta) now everywhere you go you see a 16yr old with a 2nd gen gs or any lex for that matter ?? maybe its not soo appealing anymore to have a modded lex cause you see more and more younger people modding them now ?? the appeal might not be there anymore and iam with socal i will always have a cool car no matter what it is ....its a sickness for modding i cant stand to pull up to somebody at a stoplight and have the same thing they do, it drives me nuts i have to be different !!!!
Old 12-22-06, 01:43 AM
StockGS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I feel like I missed out on a lot of great cars that were fully modded
Old 12-22-06, 02:47 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StockGS400
Man I feel like I missed out on a lot of great cars that were fully modded
x2. I wish i would of thought more about the SC300 5-spd when I was looking for another car a couple of years ago. That thing would be sick by now. Oh well, after I sell my RX-7 at the end of next summer I do plan on buying another sc300 and swpping it but I mean even then it will just be another swapped sc300 that I will have puhing between 400-500whp right off the bat. I would love do try my hands at a 2GS but I really don't want or need a 4door. I mean if I did then yeah swapping or turboing a 2GS would be the way for me, but not now. I like 2 doors!
Old 12-22-06, 06:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Hate to say it, but now there's lots of used Lexus out there for low prices, it's become the new 'quality rice'. Can a GS with a big wing be far away?

Maybe it's only because I notice Lexus more, and maybe it's because they're so reliable, but it seems like old BMW's and MB's just disappear.
Old 12-22-06, 06:58 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

It's simple, Lexus used to be so far ahead, now new cars are out and they are competing and people are surfing the market from all the pretty bling and ice catching their eye.
Old 12-22-06, 08:57 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OLT I believe has nailed it... There is alot more competition...

Face it. The 1998 GS300/400 was light years ahead. Would anyone consider the RL over the 98 Gs's? Nope... But now the TL/RL are serious machines. Infiniti G35 coupe's have taken some of our SC guys attn. The G35 sedan/ M35/45 sedans are serious machines...

I also notice that newer cars just need a drop and some rims and "bam"..they look sweet. Many of these new rides already come with Navi/dvd screens pre-installed on excellent sound systems...

Times have changed...
Old 12-22-06, 09:52 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I stopped modding because my car is quick enough for me. I like the stock appearance of the car, with a slight drop.

Sometimes it's just more relaxing to hop in a stock-like car after a long day of work/school/().

It happens with cars that are getting old. They become more affordable so everyone and their mom can have one.

I also stopped because my car is not my priority anymore. In the end, it's a transporter and there are far more important things than having 300hp under the hood

Quick Reply: When will the next modding boom hit CL?