Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

bmw 335i adds 57 whp / 92 tq just from xede piggyback

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06, 12:10 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, amazing. Looks like the new 335 is going to take over the bimmer world. Makes me tempted to take the g35 in for massaging...service rep at infiniti told me they can do FI fully warranteed. The guy told me Infiniti knows the g35 is bought by many enthusiasts and they want to keep the relationship, don't want us going to other brands offering way more power. I like that attitude.
Old 12-22-06, 12:16 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Thanks for your sound opinion. I think I found my great car for city driving, because that's where I spend most of my driving time at.

In this case the IS should be really sucks in city driving then and is great on the track compares to the 335i?
a flat torque curve is the "ideal" torque curve form for a track which the torque is much more predictable and controllable but most of the power needs to be concentrated towards mid-high which is where you will spend nearly all your time. Its somewhat reverse in the 335 case where much of the torque is in the low rpm. Yes the 335 is nice, has good power but it seems to have breathing problems at high rpms it still can improve a lot more but its a turbo car of course its going to have huge gains vs a N/A car. Personally I dont prefer turbo cars because of the increased maintainence and more that can go wrong, engine will not last as long as I wish
Old 12-22-06, 12:29 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Let's think about this... for what? $900 you get + 57WHP / +92 TQ

So.. for $15.78 per HP, this is somehow a disappointment?

I see 11hp gains on the IS with the Injen Intake ($22.75 per hp)
I see 9hp gains on the IS with the HKS exhaust ($144.00 per hp)

To get anywhere near the 335i, you are going to need to do some serious wrench turning.

For a tweeker, the 335 is a dream come true, a quick snap in module and you gain nearly 60hp

Not to mention the coupe has the best rear end treatment of all the 3 series. With this much potential it is going to be interesting to see what the V8 M3 will have. Hope they don't get into a bind and make an exploding really hipo 8 to distance itself from the 335. Then again, maybe M3 shoppers hope they do.
Old 12-22-06, 12:32 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What more can be said about the 3 series? This car sets the bar for the segment. I am sure there is more power hidden in that motor. A 300 plus hp Bimmer feels more thrilling than other 300 plus hp offerings from other brands imo. Drive one and you will understand
Old 12-22-06, 12:42 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
...sorry to say, but that's it?

3.0L, I6, and twin turbos and only gaining that much?

damn...such a waste!
one pig for 57 horses.. damn, that's a bargain
Old 12-22-06, 01:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

...sorry to say, but that's it?

3.0L, I6, and twin turbos and only gaining that much?
That's Bimmer Power. It'll walk all over anything within 50 hp of it.....and then some.
Old 12-22-06, 08:18 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Let's think about this... for what? $900 you get + 57WHP / +92 TQ

So.. for $15.78 per HP, this is somehow a disappointment?

I see 11hp gains on the IS with the Injen Intake ($22.75 per hp)
I see 9hp gains on the IS with the HKS exhaust ($144.00 per hp)

To get anywhere near the 335i, you are going to need to do some serious wrench turning.

For a tweeker, the 335 is a dream come true, a quick snap in module and you gain nearly 60hp

Why are you comparing it against NA vehicles? Again this is a twinturbo 3.0L vehicle. You want comparisons? Let's see, there was another I6 TT car, oh ya...the Supra TT. For $900, you could get rougly 100+WHP gains. Want another example? How about a simple ECUFlash on an EVO IX for $299 netting you these gains:

This is all without the complications of a stanadlone piggyback system like the Xede which will necessitate cutting into the ECU Wires. I won't even comment on the robustness of Vishnu stuff...
Old 12-22-06, 08:49 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

some good debate going on here
i think with these ECU hacks, reliability of the engine will be in question and that the service intervals will have to be shorter
probably still a price worth paying for that much of extra performance
Old 12-22-06, 10:19 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
a flat torque curve is the "ideal" torque curve form for a track which the torque is much more predictable and controllable but most of the power needs to be concentrated towards mid-high which is where you will spend nearly all your time. Its somewhat reverse in the 335 case where much of the torque is in the low rpm. Yes the 335 is nice, has good power but it seems to have breathing problems at high rpms it still can improve a lot more but its a turbo car of course its going to have huge gains vs a N/A car. Personally I dont prefer turbo cars because of the increased maintainence and more that can go wrong, engine will not last as long as I wish
My Supra has the same "problem" you are mentioning about -- torque more at the low-mid rpm, and having "breathing" problem at the high-end, but somehow I can still manage to smoke a lot of those high-revving cars on the street. That's weird. Oh ya, I forgot, that's on the street, which I spend most of the time with my car on.

And I have over 120,000 miles on it already, and the only maintenance I have is the regular maintenance interval I followed as the factory recommended. Had two other turbo cars before also, no engine problem.
Old 12-24-06, 04:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

It is turbo car... is adding more power via chip supposed to be high science now? Now, adding it reliably, that should be the trick.
Old 12-24-06, 07:01 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Why are you comparing it against NA vehicles? Again this is a twinturbo 3.0L vehicle. You want comparisons? Let's see, there was another I6 TT car, oh ya...the Supra TT. For $900, you could get rougly 100+WHP gains. Want another example? How about a simple ECUFlash on an EVO IX for $299 netting you these gains:

This is all without the complications of a stanadlone piggyback system like the Xede which will necessitate cutting into the ECU Wires. I won't even comment on the robustness of Vishnu stuff...
If I am not mistaken the supra had a slightly larger turbo than the 335i, no? The 335i is geared towards good daily driving, it's not even in the same realm as the supra. Without a single large turbo conversion, and the awesome lag that goes along with that, it will never be an apples to applies comparison. For what the 335i is, an inline 6 with very small turbos, a 25%+ gain from a xede is more than respectable. Same with the Evo; ever tried to start one of those from a stop in 3rd gear? Under 150lb/ft of torque until almost 3000rpm? It's a different machine, of course you're going to get more gains from a simple ECU reflash. Just because two cars have a turbo doesn't mean they are attempting to serve the same kind of market. Comparing a 335i to a Supra because they're inline 6 turbos is like comparing a Z06 to a GS because they're both NA V8s. Do the Supra and Evo suck? Hell no, for the market they intend to serve they are amazing cars, but they are so far removed from the 335i it's silly.

Seriously, who cross shops an Evo or Supra with a 335i? No one. Comparing them is pointless.

Last edited by picus; 12-24-06 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-25-06, 12:22 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

I would compare a Supra to a 335i. I mean you can get an extrmely low milage Supra for the same price as a new 335i. $35k-$40k. I mean there both 2 doors, twin turbo'd, same curb side appell at an automotive event. Sure the Supra is old but its still respected. Now the EVO, 4 doors, stop the comparsion right there.
Old 12-25-06, 03:37 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impressive results!!
Old 12-25-06, 08:39 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
I would compare a Supra to a 335i. I mean you can get an extrmely low milage Supra for the same price as a new 335i. $35k-$40k. I mean there both 2 doors, twin turbo'd, same curb side appell at an automotive event. Sure the Supra is old but its still respected. Now the EVO, 4 doors, stop the comparsion right there.
Ya, but the drive is totally, 1000% different. It's the same as comparing the 335i to the M3 on the basis that they do the 1/4 mile in the same time. Yes, that makes them comparable from a speed perspective, but the suspension, engine behavior, transmissions, ride quality/comfort are all totally different. A Supra is a car made for speed, it's a reasonably harsh, very fast, high revving car which normally has a modicum of turbo lag. It's amazing at what it does, but what it does is not what the 335i does. The 335i is a touring car, despite it's nicely tuned suspension. It's made to be a comfortable, quick, cordial but compliant daily driver.

Yes, you could make the supra into that, and you could make the 335i into a race car; but in stock for (or close to it), they are very different cars.

I'm just sayin'.

Merry Christmas guys.
Old 12-25-06, 05:14 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
If I am not mistaken the supra had a slightly larger turbo than the 335i, no? The 335i is geared towards good daily driving, it's not even in the same realm as the supra. Without a single large turbo conversion, and the awesome lag that goes along with that, it will never be an apples to applies comparison. For what the 335i is, an inline 6 with very small turbos, a 25%+ gain from a xede is more than respectable. Same with the Evo; ever tried to start one of those from a stop in 3rd gear? Under 150lb/ft of torque until almost 3000rpm? It's a different machine, of course you're going to get more gains from a simple ECU reflash. Just because two cars have a turbo doesn't mean they are attempting to serve the same kind of market. Comparing a 335i to a Supra because they're inline 6 turbos is like comparing a Z06 to a GS because they're both NA V8s. Do the Supra and Evo suck? Hell no, for the market they intend to serve they are amazing cars, but they are so far removed from the 335i it's silly.

Seriously, who cross shops an Evo or Supra with a 335i? No one. Comparing them is pointless.
You sir, have obviously NEVER driven a Supra TT before. It's turbos are small also and has a similar dual sequential setup for very quick spool up times. And who in their right mind would ever start a car from stop in 3rd gear?! In terms of the ride, a Supra is VERY comfortable for a daily driver (AMHIK since I had 2 of them) and much more of a GT car as it is an all around sports car. And in terms of cross shopping them? You bet your Bratwurst people cross shop them. Turbo sports cars are very much a rarity today, especially new ones. The comparison between the Supra TT and a 335i is due to its powertrain configurations again (I6 TT), whereas an Evo has 4 doors and is the quickest available new Japanese car available today. And yes, I cross shopped or am looking at all 3.

Now again, if you understand what an Xede does, it is only natural to compare it against a ECU Flash setup (like the Evo example I illustrated). I think folks here are so mindset on NA setups that numbers like the ones posted look so gawdy, but in truth they are just so-so. Anyhow, I may get a 535i in the coming year to really play with it myself and see how much one can extract from it....we'll see.

Quick Reply: bmw 335i adds 57 whp / 92 tq just from xede piggyback