Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

bmw 335i adds 57 whp / 92 tq just from xede piggyback

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-07, 10:17 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
This thing is going to be a monster! I think it's gonna be the next major tuner car.. although the price tag is pretty hefty compared to cars like the Evo and STi. My only concern is, how is the engine and tranny gonna hold up to the increased boost and power?
Too early to tell. I will make a bold guess though -- it won't be as strong as the iron block 2JZ-GTE engine from the Supra and Aristo. Supra will have better space for heat dissipation also -- look under the hood of the 3-series and I admit that their engineers did a marvelous job stuffing a long Inline-6 engines and all the other components in that limited space, and still manage to have good crash protection.

The 335i engine is lighter, which helps handling. But straight line performance after mods, Supra wins.
Old 01-21-07, 12:06 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think it'll be nearly as strong as the Supra block. It's an open deck alum/mag engine. Just the fact that it's alum/mag alone can cause an issue where expansion is concerned. I think with moderate fuel tuning and added boost (like the current xede does) it'll be fine; it'll probably last as long as the engine would stock. As soon as the boost starts going up 40, 50, 60% though, who knows? There are so many other issues too; the oil coolers, the relatively small stock FMIC... I guess we will see.

Me? I am going to put an exhaust on, since the stock exhaust, while well built, is really restrictive. I will see what that does then decide if I want to further tune it. As it is the car is plenty quick, it just needs slightly better throttle response in the low rpms, which I think the fuel tuning/exhaust help with more than anything.
Old 01-21-07, 12:41 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by picus

As it is the car is plenty quick, it just needs slightly better throttle response in the low rpms, which I think the fuel tuning/exhaust help with more than anything.
Do you have smog check in Ontario? If the answer is no, change the downpipe instead. BMW usually does well with the exhaust.
Old 01-21-07, 12:55 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Do you have smog check in Ontario? If the answer is no, change the downpipe instead. BMW usually does well with the exhaust.
We do have a smog check. There is a lot of talk about the downpipe over at e90post. I think Shiv mentioned that the stock downpipe and exhaust aren't TOO bad, but the restriction is in the turbine housing itself, so that's that. Shiv's "exhaust" (which netted him something like 20/20ish) was just a replacement of the secondary cats and some tubing to remove some of the restriction from the rather bendy tubing. He left the downpipe and primary cats alone.

So ya, there is some room to work, Eisenmann is working on an exhaust and they tend to do good work so I will probably wait on that.
Old 01-21-07, 01:52 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Might get up to 500whp by next week Amazing!!
Old 01-21-07, 02:31 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Might get up to 500whp by next week Amazing!!
and BMW AG announced that they are going to drop the M3
Old 01-21-07, 02:52 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
I also wonder if BMW is gonna start hitting down really hard on wararanty voids like Mitsu and Subie have done. Mitsu had apparently even sent regional reps to drag strips to copy down VIN's of Evo's there... next time they came into the dealer for something, they were red flagged in the computer system and told their warranties are voided for tracking the car!

Wow... if this true, then I TRULY hope that company bankrupts. Companies like this WILL never get my bussiness.

Whats the point of a sporty car if you cannot track it? If thats the attitude they're going to have. Why even build it?
Old 01-21-07, 09:28 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

By the time the next generation M3 arrives, they would have been around for 20 years! I see these cars participating all the time at either autox or track events. If BMW have not gone to these event and track these cars in the last 19 years, chances are they are not going to do that... i hope.

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Whats the point of a sporty car if you cannot track it? If thats the attitude they're going to have. Why even build it?
It's not that you can not track it...it is that if you track it and and mess something up in the process because of tracking then you can't claim it under warranty work (eventhough I wish I could). I don't see anything wrong with this. If you fried the clutch because of numerous 1/4 mile runs.. or blown the engine because of a miss-shift and etc... how is it the car maker responsibility to fix it for you under warranty?

The hard part is that they have to prove it to you that the problem was because of the direct abuse the car takes on the track.