Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is This The Same Car Company?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06 | 12:25 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by gs400jon
The transmission on my ES330 is OK. There is a minor feeling of being held back on some, more spirited starts from a dead stop. The GX transmission is absolutely, positively perfect. On the LS460, initially, a once in a while hesitation was present but that seems to be going away now. I did get a call from Lexus corporate a few weeks ago asking for responses on the new purchase. The hesitation was mentioned to that person who assured me it would be forwarded. But, who knows where that might be ?

I've had a 2005 and a 2006 and currently a 2007 GX470 and I agree, the transmission in the GX470 is perfect.
Old 12-26-06 | 12:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by e-man
Okay, you made me smile (even chuckle a little out loud). Come on now, though, you have to admit that it's more than just the proverbial "handful" of people repeating the same things. I'm sure you saw my post the other day about what the head tech at my dealership said to me the other day -- "customers are coming into service in droves with ES350 tranny problems." To the best of my knowledge, not a single one of those persons is reporting their problems on CL. I'll agree that there are 4-5 people who are repeating the same information on various threads, but there are at least 20 more who chime in once in a while, and there are many, many more people (like the "droves" being serviced at my dealership) who are not reporting in at all.
thats pretty stupid thing to say from your "head tech". What does "in droves" mean? 10, 20, 100?

I have been around 2 major engine issues, that caused forums to be bombed with unhappy customers, and we only had 4 customers with the problem in our dealership, which was less than 2% of cars sold. And this was major, catastrophics failure.

So, yeah, I dont think 4 people are quite representative of tens of thousands of ES350 owners.

But problem isnt in transmission flare - which is very valid problem for people that experience it.

Problem is that some of the posters make some very uneducated guesses on things that might or might not be wrong with their cars, and they expect ES350 to have better quality than LS.

People who have had ES330 have stated in numerous posts that ES350 is better car than ES330.
Old 12-26-06 | 12:53 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
This make no sense. Lexus should be able to tell you if the next ES350 you buy will have the tranny issue. If they cannot, they are complete idiots. They surely have to know by now which VIN's have the issue and what the corrective action is. It has been months for gosh sakes.

If Lexus cannot do simple process elimination, I would opt for a GS or lease a BMW for two years and then check back. I will take a little less reliability for a good driving car. The LS is not for me and some folks have complained about the tranny there as well. There is nothing wrong with the LS tranny from what I have seen, just folks do not like the shift program, they say it is annoying. If you are mainly a Lexus driver, you might not be bothered by the tranny as you get used to it.
Lexus doesn't know what causes the transmission flare. If they did, they could tell me which VINs have the problem and could also fix the initial problem that causes the flare. Lexus just tells me that only some of the ES350s have this transmission flaring issue and that my next ES350 probably won't have this problem. At least Lexus is being honest by telling me that they CANNOT guarantee that my next ES350 won't have this problem.

This is why I am thinking of buying the LS460 instead of the ES350 this time around.
Old 12-26-06 | 12:58 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2007es350
Lexus doesn't know what causes the transmission flare. If they did, they could tell me which VINs have the problem and could also fix the initial problem that causes the flare. Lexus just tells me that only some of the ES350s have this transmission flaring issue and that my next ES350 probably won't have this problem. At least Lexus is being honest by telling me that they CANNOT guarantee that my next ES350 won't have this problem.

This is why I am thinking of buying the LS460 instead of the ES350 this time around.
It sounds like Lexus/Toyota is trying to avoid a massive recall by attempting to quietly fix the issue. We shall see how long they can hold out.
Old 12-26-06 | 01:00 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Oh dear lord, the ES 350 band of brothers are spreading to other forums......
Lexus is not perfect, the 350 has a tranny issue but its not a giant issue. The giant issue is 4 or 5 people repeating the same things in every single thread they post in.

If you really want to read about the ES350 transmission issue and see that there are WAY MORE than 4 or 5 people having problems with their defective transmissions, you should check out the ES350 forum where there are multiple threads/polls on this subject. You will notice that Lexus has a TSIB for the transmission flare that my dealer and corporate has decided NOT to perform, because it just doesn't work. To make it worse, they don't have a solution for the problem except to order a new transmission.

I don't think Sick likes it (and I don't know why)...but these are just the facts!
Old 12-26-06 | 01:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
obviously LS is twice as expensive, so yes, they can not be of the same quality.

But at the same time, most of the issues and threads there and ond edmunds are posted by same people, over and over... There are quite few ppl there who posted that they love their new ES as well...
I agree with spwolf. Lexus will sell 70,000 ES350's this year. The actual number of owners reporting problems and issues (not the # of posts since MANY are multiple) represents a small fraction of the total ES's that will be sold - Way less than 1%. I have an early build (4/06), and after nearly 8 months and 5,800 miles I've experienced zero problems or issues. Many others are in the same situation, but less vocal than those with problems/issues. I'd buy another one.

Last edited by LexBob2; 12-26-06 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-26-06 | 03:02 PM
Mlawler
Driver School Candidate

First let me say I am not attacking anyone, this problem exists, but I am going after the possibility that this is widespread. This is only my .02, and I will say when some of us post we have had no problems we are often ignored and or blasted as being stupid and not knowing the difference.

I have seen throughout these forums problems on all cars, some more serious than others. Saw some for the gs that involved upper and lower control arms, 3rd gen,. OK some folks on here think this is wide spread, and maybe it is but I am going to ask that someone give us some real data, I mean data not silly polls that dont ask positive and negative questions, dont have varying questions that offset bias, something much like you would do a normal study. This happens on every forum, even my dirt bike forums, a few folks post and post and post...bla bla bla...now all of a sudden it is a widespread problem...still nothing to prove it.

I have a 10/06 build ES350 and none of these problems exist. None. I have a buddy that is a GM of a toyota dealer, they have moved 150 camry's in 6 months and only one has come back for the "flair" problem. They sent the car away to Toyota and gave the guy a new car, how do I know he being honest, well he's been a best friend for 15 years and I know that every time one comes in like that it costs him money out of his pocket. when an issue like this comes up, the GM will loose money on this deal because Toyota wont pay him the normal rate for repairs when it is considered a warranty item. Thats how a GM makes their money....fingers in each pocket.

But I am not disputing this is happening only that it is widespread, I am sure it is happening to some folks, but if you read the forums and this is a pretty small one in comparision to other forums out there, you will see the same folks often complaing about the same issues, same problem different day, it is pretty repetitive, and if you compare the number of folks that own the ES and have a login you might see things differently. Again I am not saying it isnt happening, my dealer told me he has seen a couple, both ended up fixed and they followed up very carefully with the owners, how do I know well he is the GSM and I know him too. I just think it is absolutely silly to say this is widespread when all that has been done is a grade school poll, dont do your thesis this way...youll get laughed at.

Anyway Ill let folks know if this happens to me, but so far none. I think this is a great car.
Old 12-26-06 | 03:02 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

rjm,

It is very thoughtful and considerate of you to have taken the time to visit the ES350 forum and to openly express your observations.

It seems a thread generated by you is also not exempt from the same few immediately offering repetitious claims events are supposedly only happening to some offered small subset of vehicles or supposedly expressed only by some minority of actual owners.

The numerous owner experiences with the vehicle represented in the owners poll and in some cases the treatment received by them expressed in posts as they attempt a resolution are both without excuse and I also wonder why myself.

I really like participating in Club Lexus because of people like you for your thoughtfulness and the support received from other member/owners, humor as well on the ES350 Forum, other Forums on Club Lexus.
Old 12-26-06 | 04:16 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

The plan for my wife and myself was to purchase an LS460 in a year or so. As the LS460 wasn't available back in April 06 and considering this would be the first time we'd spent this much money on a car, we decided to purchase an ES350 instead.

This is our first Lexus. We thought we'd be well taken care of, and once we'd experienced all the Lexus greatness we'd happily move up to the new LS. I really like the LS and even the GX as well.

But being one of those ES350 owners affected by most of the issues on that model - including being on the second trans that still has problems - I'm not going to buy the LS460. From my standpoint I know exactly what Lexus will do when confronted with a problem they can't solve (trans\wind noise\steering-console-door-floor vibration), and that's basically n-o-t-h-i-n-g. I can't in good faith take that chance of having to go through this all over again, there are plenty of other manufacturers that will provide a much better ownership experience than I've had so far.

So the reason I'm not buying an LS460 if because of my ES350 experience.
Old 12-26-06 | 05:32 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mlawler
First let me say I am not attacking anyone, this problem exists, but I am going after the possibility that this is widespread. This is only my .02, and I will say when some of us post we have had no problems we are often ignored and or blasted as being stupid and not knowing the difference.

I have seen throughout these forums problems on all cars, some more serious than others. Saw some for the gs that involved upper and lower control arms, 3rd gen,. OK some folks on here think this is wide spread, and maybe it is but I am going to ask that someone give us some real data, I mean data not silly polls that dont ask positive and negative questions, dont have varying questions that offset bias, something much like you would do a normal study. This happens on every forum, even my dirt bike forums, a few folks post and post and post...bla bla bla...now all of a sudden it is a widespread problem...still nothing to prove it.

I have a 10/06 build ES350 and none of these problems exist. None. I have a buddy that is a GM of a toyota dealer, they have moved 150 camry's in 6 months and only one has come back for the "flair" problem. They sent the car away to Toyota and gave the guy a new car, how do I know he being honest, well he's been a best friend for 15 years and I know that every time one comes in like that it costs him money out of his pocket. when an issue like this comes up, the GM will loose money on this deal because Toyota wont pay him the normal rate for repairs when it is considered a warranty item. Thats how a GM makes their money....fingers in each pocket.

But I am not disputing this is happening only that it is widespread, I am sure it is happening to some folks, but if you read the forums and this is a pretty small one in comparision to other forums out there, you will see the same folks often complaing about the same issues, same problem different day, it is pretty repetitive, and if you compare the number of folks that own the ES and have a login you might see things differently. Again I am not saying it isnt happening, my dealer told me he has seen a couple, both ended up fixed and they followed up very carefully with the owners, how do I know well he is the GSM and I know him too. I just think it is absolutely silly to say this is widespread when all that has been done is a grade school poll, dont do your thesis this way...youll get laughed at.

Anyway Ill let folks know if this happens to me, but so far none. I think this is a great car.
If you look at the Consumer Reviews and Ratings of the ES 350 on the Edmunds web site, 81 people have reviewed the car and given it an average rating of 9.4 out of 10, on MSN Autos 55 people have given a rating of 8.7 out of 10 and on Yahoo it's 34 people with an average on 2.5 out of 5. Like anything, you have to take the information with a grain of salt but it brings into question how widespread are the problems/issues. IMO, we just don't know yet but it's way too early to sound the alarm of widespread problems. Remember, 70,000 will be sold this year. I submit this information just to add additional perspective to the discussion. Sorry to be taking up space on the LS forum, but I thought some additional balance would add to this this discussion.

Last edited by LexBob2; 12-26-06 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-27-06 | 07:57 PM
Mlawler
Driver School Candidate

LexBob2, thats my point exactly, there is no way this forum or any other can really determine if this is wide spread or not. Not a chance. There are 210 posts and 24K views of the Offical Lexus ES 350 ROLLCALL!!! and that doesnt in any way compare to the individual posts on other threads. The closest thread is 142 posts and at least half are by the same folks of which 18 folks has said they have the tranny issue out of 142 posts, dont know the number of individual users yet.

Heck wasnt the Camry is voted the best car of the year by motor trend, and which tranny does that have? Again I am also sorry this has taken space on the LS forum also but I am not going to let incomplete data go unnoticed. I agree, we dont know yet, but there are a lot of folks sending folks away from Lexus because they use incomplete and unscientific data (WAY MORE than 4 or 5 people, really?), and lets face it it IS primarily the same folks complaining over and over again, not that they dont have a problem and believe me I feel for those folks I really do, but the data on this forum in realistic terms is somewhat insignificant, no one has polled the hundreds of folks that love their Lexus ES350. Hey in two years Ill admit it the LS is my next ride, unless MB comes out with something better . Anyway as I said before pn another thread this something that can never be resoved on a forum.

Last edited by Mlawler; 12-27-06 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-27-06 | 08:03 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mlawler
LexBob2, thats my point exactly, there is no way this forum or any other can really determine if this is wide spread or not. Not a chance. There are 210 posts and 24K views of the Offical Lexus ES 350 ROLLCALL!!! and that doesnt in any way compare to the individual posts on other threads. The closest thread is 142 posts and at least half are by the same folks.

Heck wasnt the Camry is voted the best car of the year by motor trend, and which tranny does that have? Again I am also sorry this has taken space on the LS forum also but I am not going to let incomplete data go unnoticed. I agree, we dont know yet, but there are a lot of folks sending folks away from Lexus because they use incomplete and unscientific data (WAY MORE than 4 or 5 people, really?), and lets face it it IS primarily the same folks complaining over and over again, not that they dont have a problem and believe me I feel for those folks I really do, but the data on this forum in realistic terms is somewhat insignificant, no one has polled the hundreds of folks that love their Lexus ES350. Hey in two years Ill admit it the LS is my next ride, unless MB comes out with something better . Anyway as I said before pn another thread this something that can never be resoved on a forum.
I'm not saying that there aren't thousands of people out there who are happy with their ES350s. Of course there are. What I am saying though is that it is definitely more than 4 or 5 people that are posting complaints about the same recurring issues. Sure, I'll agree that there are 4 or 5 people who are repeatedly posting about the same issues, but to say that they are the ONLY people who are posting about these problems is not an accurate statement.
Old 12-27-06 | 08:17 PM
Mlawler
Driver School Candidate

well the most of the posts in that forum are from the same folks with the problem (again it stinks if you experience this I am sure), it is very easy to see, and I agree it isnt 4-5 folks more like 18-25. But it is a pretty negative forum because of a few and turns people ways fairly quickly. I sit on about 8 different forums about motor vehicles and motorcycles and the ES forum is "the" most negative I have seen yet, even the Camry guys dont get this bad, and dont report half the problems.

Sorry LS folks, I am done now...
Old 12-28-06 | 12:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

it would be almost stupid for me not to say that i am disappointed in the es350 launch. it really put some deep marks on lexus history. especially with the ls460 launch so close (and important), it's definitely not a good thing

being in the 01-05 es300/330 more than a few times, i really have to say that it's a very solid and nice car (minus the exterior style). for a daily driver i have no issues. but the new es350 i am really not too thrilled about, in fact i really wonder how much of a stepdown it is from the previous generations.

and then recently i saw all the complaints and issues people have with the es350, i was just shocked... i definitely hope they are first model year issues with lexus, and they better be.

i am thankful that the ls460 so far is receiving very good reviews and responses from owners, and being their big time flagship launch in recent years, i hope lexus has put enough effort to make sure this car is clean. but with 4 new cars in 3 years, i guess the es350 has become the victim of bad QC?

lexus please make sure you do not sacrifice anything while taking over....
Old 12-28-06 | 06:14 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
but the new es350 i am really not too thrilled about, in fact i really wonder how much of a stepdown it is from the previous generations.

and then recently i saw all the complaints and issues people have with the es350, i was just shocked... i definitely hope they are first model year issues with lexus, and they better be.
romin,

I owned 2 ES300 prior to ending up selecting the first ES350 of two about which I expected no less an experience than that of the 2 ES300 I owned spanning years.

I do not understand what appears to be repeated denial of issues associated with the car. I see 32 ES350 owner/CL members out of 123 polled reporting just transmission problems misrepresented and claimed to be at best 18, or minimized to some handful. I even see reversed statistical mathematics used to attempt to diminish the potential number of vehicles involved as well.

Although I have not had a pleasant experience with either ES350, the bright spot for me are many of those associated with Club Lexus, including those who own the LS who take time to visit other forums and openly express their opinions.

I am pleased to see how well the LS is serving it's owners from forum input here on CL from actual owners. While some may try to diminish the data available to Club Lexus members on the ES350 from other owner/members, Club Lexus is THE best place to get info on anything with wheels that has a Lexus emblem on it.
View Poll Results: Multiple Choice: What problems do you have with your 2007 ES350?
Transmission shift flaring 32 26.02%
Cold engine start noise 20 16.26%
Wind noise 29 23.58%
Interior rattles 29 23.58%
Voice Recognition for climate control 29 23.58%
I have none of the problems listed above 39 31.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123.

Quick Reply: Is This The Same Car Company?