Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Oh, My, Toyota Hybrid Sports Car (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-06, 08:37 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The styling is very polarizing, but that is a good thing. When people see the concept in Detroit, they will either love it or hate it. I remember similar criticism on Internet forums when the LF-A premiered, and yet, worldwide at autoshows the LF-A has received incredible recognition and support.

Personally, I think this concept looks stunning. And looking at the interior pics, hopefully some of you noticed the cockpit design is an evolution of the MK4 Supra .

Also of note, this car shares a few general shapes and styling cues from the LF-A. Another thing is that this is Toyota's 2nd or 3rd hybrid sports car concept, so obviously Toyota isn't doing this just for fun or because they are bored; what it means is that a Toyota-branded sports car is coming in the future in some form .
Old 12-25-06, 11:37 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edmunds' coverage of the FT-HS:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=118933

Get this, "the car rides on CARBON-FIBER WHEELS that carry 245/35ZR-21 tires in front and 285/30ZR-21 tires in the rear". Now that's a concept! (and so much for the mid-$30,000 price tag )

Also, "Toyota's designers also postulate a unique retractable roof, which will slide and then lie down inside the car covering the backseat, rendering the car a two-seater. Thanks to the tiny servo-motors we see in motorized hardtops these days, perhaps anything is possible, and the top is functional on the concept car."

So it's a hardtop convertible too, folks!

Last edited by XeroK00L; 12-25-06 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-25-06, 12:25 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Man, such NEGATIVE people on this thread... I keep getting the idea of antiClubLexus nowadays...

you complain about Toyota not making a sports car of any sort; then when info is delivered about it; you totally bash it. For one, this is obviously a concept. Two, not everything has to look like a BMW 3-series or Audi to be appealing.

I like the car; you can see the idea someone is going for. The 2GR-FSE already makes outstanding power... use your brains. If Toyota shifts the torqueband even further up the scale with a near-stock GR, they can use an electric motor to make up for the loss of lower-end torque and have a very wide and powerful powerband.

400hp is most definitely doable for that price.... just because BMW can't do it, doesnt mean it can't be done Most of you do nothing but complain nowadays; its all I hear is people complaining about crap just for the sake of complaining. Its friggin Christmas Day so shut yer yap and be happy that MAYBE toyota might release this kind of car.
Okay, what's really going on? You didn't get what you wanted for x-mas? Found your lady with another guy? What is it?
Old 12-25-06, 01:17 PM
LexFather

For 35k-40k, what a unique and different way to do things.

Old 12-25-06, 01:40 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks almost identical to a GTR

Last edited by MJHSC400; 12-25-06 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-25-06, 01:50 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
The C-pillars and the profiles may be somewhat similar, but the details look nothing alike.
Old 12-25-06, 02:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Many cars before the GT-R Proto had air inlets and intakes on the fenders, as well as blacked out pillars. The GT-R then looks like a lot of those cars . Besides, the GT-R overall has a very "bulky" and substantial visual presence to it, while the FT-HS has a more sleek, sharp, and "lightweight" visual presence to it.

If anything, the FT-HS looks more like the LF-A than the GT-R.
Old 12-25-06, 08:07 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Have they recently changed the definition of the word "identical" to completely different and not sharing even one similarity???

Old 12-25-06, 08:21 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Ehh....a fully loaded Civic Si will cost u $25K+.......
It's not complaining....we r talking about the realistic price.

Originally Posted by Bean
400hp is most definitely doable for that price.... just because BMW can't do it, doesnt mean it can't be done Most of you do nothing but complain nowadays; its all I hear is people complaining about crap just for the sake of complaining. Its friggin Christmas Day so shut yer yap and be happy that MAYBE toyota might release this kind of car.
Old 12-26-06, 06:13 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

This car, as it is in these photos, couldn't possibly retail for less than $40K.
Probably looking at $50-$60K
Old 12-26-06, 07:52 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Price

The price of <$40,000 does seem kind of low but if you think about it, it has to cost less than a GS 450h so Toyota is kind of boxed in considering price. That said, I am sure like other Toyotas you will not find one @ such a low price: once you add all the options like side curtain air bags, the price will be much higher.
Old 12-26-06, 08:07 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS69
The price of <$40,000 does seem kind of low but if you think about it, it has to cost less than a GS 450h so Toyota is kind of boxed in considering price. That said, I am sure like other Toyotas you will not find one @ such a low price: once you add all the options like side curtain air bags, the price will be much higher.
Why does it have to cost less than a GS450h? A sports car from Toyota doesn't necessarily have to cost less than a certain Lexus model. Especially if we're talking about a Supra.
Old 12-26-06, 09:59 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Common sense. Toyota says if this were to be put into production, it would cost about $35,000 to build. Why is it so ridiculous? Obviously the interior will be more production based, and it won't have exotic items like carbon fiber wheels. But consider that the IS350 starts at 36K, and that's a luxury car.

A production version of this car would certainly be less luxurious than an IS350, and would be a 350Z competitor. And the hybrid components would only add about 2 - 4K to the total cost of the car.
Old 12-26-06, 10:06 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Common sense. Toyota says if this were to be put into production, it would cost about $35,000 to build. Why is it so ridiculous? Obviously the interior will be more production based, and it won't have exotic items like carbon fiber wheels. But consider that the IS350 starts at 36K, and that's a luxury car.

A production version of this car would certainly be less luxurious than an IS350, and would be a 350Z competitor. And the hybrid components would only add about 2 - 4K to the total cost of the car.
Still, we're talking about electric motors MUCH more powerful than the GS450h's. In the GS450h, the electric motors only push the total power from 292hp to 340hp, but in the FT-HS, they are pushing it from 292hp to over 400hp, which is more than double the delta on the GS450h!!

IF the $35k pricing is true, then it's more than likely they won't use the super powerful electric motors on the FT-HS, but instead share the same system with GS450h for the production car.
Old 12-26-06, 03:33 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

WAY too cheap for a 400hp hybrid. I would buy one in a second if it were true. My money is it will come out with half that hp.

Toyota doesn't even have a 400hp hybrid motor, and I bet it would show up in a Lexus first.

That kind of hp would hurt their other sales of LF-A or the next Supra.

Good one on "is that the next Supra?", like the 100th NSX concept we've all just been shown, <yawn>.

Quick Reply: Oh, My, Toyota Hybrid Sports Car (merged threads)