Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Oh, My, Toyota Hybrid Sports Car (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 03:39 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the record, these specs are virtually identical to those of the volta's, 408hp, 4.03 second 0-60... It might have had the RX400 drivetrain, but it was worked

Would love to see the FT-HS come out and the Volta follow (as an MR2 replacement), cause in the Volta the engine is in the back. Love that design
Old 12-26-06, 05:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
WAY too cheap for a 400hp hybrid. I would buy one in a second if it were true. My money is it will come out with half that hp.

Toyota doesn't even have a 400hp hybrid motor, and I bet it would show up in a Lexus first.

That kind of hp would hurt their other sales of LF-A or the next Supra.

Good one on "is that the next Supra?", like the 100th NSX concept we've all just been shown, <yawn>.
yeah for that looks and power, it is way to cheap to price it at 35k, but thats probably the maximum limit for base version of next Supra anyway...

Electric engines in G450h can deliver "only" 45hp from their batteries, however they have 197hp... retuning the battery packs might let them use more of electric motors though, so that wouldnt be an huge change.

If the IS350 starts at 36k, how much do you have to cheapen the "Supra" to be able to add hybrid pack (+$2-4k for sporty hybrid pack), and pay for R&D when you are going to produce substantially less models than IS350?

I think it looks mad, and if they can deliver 90% of it at $40k, I will be buying one for sure... its pure madness.
Old 12-26-06, 07:27 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yeah for that looks and power, it is way to cheap to price it at 35k, but thats probably the maximum limit for base version of next Supra anyway...

Electric engines in G450h can deliver "only" 45hp from their batteries, however they have 197hp... retuning the battery packs might let them use more of electric motors though, so that wouldnt be an huge change.

If the IS350 starts at 36k, how much do you have to cheapen the "Supra" to be able to add hybrid pack (+$2-4k for sporty hybrid pack), and pay for R&D when you are going to produce substantially less models than IS350?

I think it looks mad, and if they can deliver 90% of it at $40k, I will be buying one for sure... its pure madness.
I suspect that Lexus will deliberately make a loss on this car just to gain market share and to shake up its staid reputation in the mass media. Just like they did with the Prius.
Old 12-26-06, 07:36 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

An interesting concept and very exciting coming from Toyota. I do see a similarity to the GT-R proto in the roofline, though.

It has some slick sheetmetal but I imagine (and hope) that they tone it down a few degrees if they produce it. As it is it looks way to much like it just rolled out of an anime.
Old 12-26-06, 08:22 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well.........if the price is true. Bye bye IS350!
Old 12-26-06, 08:24 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That is hot!
Old 12-26-06, 10:08 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's to more and more exciting things from Lexus and Toyota...!
Old 12-26-06, 11:06 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Video!! Road and Track interviews the Toyota FT-HS design team:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=4440

When Toyota, a company known for incredibly reliable if somewhat bland cars, comes out with a stylish new concept, it’s a big deal. It’s an even bigger one when company execs hint that the car, if built, would be the successor to the much-missed Supra.

But the FT-HS (Future Toyota Hybrid Sport) is more than just a Supra replacement; it’s Toyota’s view of “a suitable sports car for the 21st century.” Hence the Hybrid Synergy Drive powertrain that includes a 3.5-liter front-mounted V-6 and mid-rear mounted battery pack for a grand total of 400 bhp, transferred to the road via a properly sporting rear-wheel-drive setup.

Prior to the world premiere of the FT-HS at the Detroit show, R&T was granted a behind-the-scenes look at the car at Toyota’s Calty Design Research Studio in Newport Beach, Calif.

Toyota’s Calty Design Research Studio in Newport Beach, Calif.At Calty we had the chance to speak with the designers directly responsible for this new sports car, see the men using CAD/CAM software and watch Master Modelers shape the full-scale clay. It was enlightening to have Alex Shen, Project Chief Designer of the exterior, show us examples on the FT-HS of what Toyota calls “Freeform Geometry,” “Subtractive Mass” and a “Perfect Imbalance.” For instance, “Subtractive Mass” is shown by the deep sculpting of the car’s tail section, the purpose being to get rid of all excess weight. Shen also pointed out that the air scoops on the back edge of the front fenders (similar to those of the Nissan GT-R) aren’t just for looks—they actually whisk away heat caused by the gaggle of LED headlights.

Bill Chergosky, Project Chief Designer of the interior, explained bits and pieces of the radical FT-HS cockpit. He said even though the car is a 2+2, the driver is the main focus, giving him what Chergosky calls “Solo Space,” basically his own pod. He also talked about “Touch Tracer Interface,” which eliminates the use of all ***** for the interior controls. When asked about the production value of the car’s hub-less steering, Chergosky said it’s just a matter of time.

So will the FT-HS be built? Shen’s gut feeling is that, yes, the higher-ups at Toyota are strongly in favor of the car becoming a reality.

For a closer look at the FT-HS and Calty, and to hear the designers talk about their creation, check out the accompanying video.

--

Notice at the end of the video the designer Tom Matsumoto explicitly says "it's got 408hp".

408hp! Together with the statement that "the higher-ups at Toyota are strongly in favor of the car becoming a reality", that's gotta give the next M3/IS-F some good run for the money.
Old 12-27-06, 06:44 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Like I said, just like the voltas specs
Old 12-27-06, 10:52 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Still, we're talking about electric motors MUCH more powerful than the GS450h's. In the GS450h, the electric motors only push the total power from 292hp to 340hp, but in the FT-HS, they are pushing it from 292hp to over 400hp, which is more than double the delta on the GS450h!!

IF the $35k pricing is true, then it's more than likely they won't use the super powerful electric motors on the FT-HS, but instead share the same system with GS450h for the production car.
Toyota will be using lithium ion battery packs in it's upcoming 3rd gen hybrid synergy drive. The 3rd gen is said to cost half that of the 2nd gen HSD. Plus, the li-ion packs are supposed to be smaller, yet provide more power than the current NiMH packs. If the cost of the HSD is indeed half for the 3rd gen, then that's a savings of about $2,000.

Are things starting to make sense now .

For all we know, the 2GR-FSE in this case might be retuned, and be pushing more power than the GS450h. As well, there are the above mentioned lithium ion battery packs which this concept is likely utilizing.

We can't assume much, since we don't know the specifics of the concept.

For 35K, the car will likely (as I mentioned) have a minimal, or simple interior. There is a reason this is a Toyota concept. It does not, and will not (if put into production) have the luxury, refinement, and ultimately added cost of a Lexus.

Besides, Lexus vehicles are sold as a premium compared to Toyota vehicles. For all we know, Toyota may sell a production version of this concept at razor thin profit margins, or even at a loss, to re-establish itself in the sports car market.
Old 12-27-06, 10:55 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Like I said, just like the voltas specs
Except, the Volta uses a 3.3L 3MZ V6, while this concept uses a 3.5L 2GR V6.
Old 12-27-06, 11:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
I suspect that Lexus will deliberately make a loss on this car just to gain market share and to shake up its staid reputation in the mass media. Just like they did with the Prius.
That myth of loosing the money on Prius isnt really actual anymore... competitors repeated it over and over, when Prius was sold in small quantities per year, however at more than 200,000 examples sold, there is no way hugely profitable Toyota is loosing money on it.

And there is no way that efficient Toyota would lose money on car for no reason at all - no way of that ever happening. They will simply not produce sports car if they cant make money on it, as they are not producing one right now.
Old 12-27-06, 11:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Except, the Volta uses a 3.3L 3MZ V6, while this concept uses a 3.5L 2GR V6.
I guess both are hybrids, which is where all similarities stop...
Old 12-27-06, 12:06 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH WAIT!! The official Toyota Volta page appears to have been updated with new a horsepower number... and get this, 408hp!! Identical to the FT-HS's number according to Tom Matsumoto in the R&T video!!! But the Volta does have only a 3.3L V6. So is the identical horsepower rating a coincidence?

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/volta.html

Originally Posted by Toyota
In 1800, Alessandro Volta arranged zinc and copper discs in a column and invented the battery. 204 years later, Toyota has electrified automotive history with the first high-performance hybrid, named in his honor. The Giugiaro-designed carbon-fiber body seats three people abreast and features "drive-by-wire" controls, allowing you to position the steering wheel and pedals in front of any one of them. And the Volta's 408-hp Hybrid Synergy Drive® (a 3.3-liter V6 with an electric motor for each axle) not only delivers 435 miles on a 13.7-gallon tank, but 0-60 acceleration in a mere four seconds. Somewhere, Count Volta is smiling.
Old 12-27-06, 12:36 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
Okay, what's really going on? You didn't get what you wanted for x-mas? Found your lady with another guy? What is it?

I read too many threads with too much negativity. Always criticizing EVERYTHING that Toyota does because its not sporty enough or some crap.

That, and asinine comments like you just made...

Sorry to get OT mods... This car holds a lot of promise. I think the name "sports car for the 21st century" summed it up VERY nicely.

Last edited by Bean; 12-27-06 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Oh, My, Toyota Hybrid Sports Car (merged threads)