Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Oh, My, Toyota Hybrid Sports Car (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-06 | 06:29 AM
EvgeshaIS300
Lexus Test Driver

Old 12-29-06 | 06:37 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MR_F1
you know everybody is giving you this look right?
I don't understand why "everybody" is giving the original poster that look. He's just attaching a link from a publisher. Maybe I am not "everybody"

However, I won't believe any rumor about the next Supra before the real car comes out.
Old 12-29-06 | 08:51 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

i hope this does come thru....it will definitely be parked in my garage.

however will this be toyota/lexus? and my uncle told me this past wknd that they had a meeting to discuss the future models coming to toyota--he said that rite now all they had info on was the release of the celica in 2008/2009

he said the plan that toyota had was to kill the celica for a few yrs to build up the scion brand with the release of the tc (job well done too) now they plan to reintroduce the celica hoping it will still do fairly well and also further cripple the market by toyota offering two smaller coupes avail

as far as the new coupe from toyota featured on edmunds, he didnt have any information regarding it as yet--so as far as they know at the dealership
Old 12-29-06 | 09:58 AM
HELLAFLUSH
Lead Lap

If if did come out, id buy it!
Old 12-29-06 | 07:24 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Well it is nice Toyota is putting out sports car concepts but we have been hearing of a Supra replacement since 1999 which has never happend. One thing that bothers me is why would they do a hybrid powerplant in a sports car. It is actually one of the worst things to do in a high performance car is put heavy batteries in it that will eventually run out during frequent high speed runs. Then you are just towing hundreds of pounds of dead weight with reduced horsepower. I read an article on the GS450h that had it up against German sports sedans and during long high speed testing the GS batteries pretty much ran out and were no longer producing power in which it was completely outmatched by the German sedans and could not keep remotely close even in a straight away. There is a reason Ferrari, Lamborgini, Porsche, Lotus, BMW M cars, do not use or plan to use hybrids in their sports cars because hybrid powerplants are just not suited for sports cars. IRL,GT class, Lemans, Formula one, Cart, and other racing marks have not used hybrids for the exact reason and these racing series have using everything from tiny highly turbo charged v-8s and even highly turboed 4 cylinders making 1000hp, propellers in the rear, 2 sets of rear tires, rotary powerplants, deisel powerplants, as well as other odd ways to take advantages of making power and handling yet they have not chose to pursue hybrids for the huge drawbacks and limitations.

How hard is it for Toyota to give us a good handling front engined rwd sports car that does not weigh too much and is semi affordable. A lightly turboed 4 to 4.2 liter overbuilt v-8 would be an ideal powerplant putting out 375 to 400hp. It would easily outperform the Z car, RX-8, base 911, GTO, and could be tuned higher to go against the Z06, Skyline, Aston Martin AMV8 and higher end 911s, Masserati and Ferraris rumored entry level car. Considering the IS350 has been clocked doing 0-60 in 4.9 seconds I don't see how it would be hard to make a lighter sports car with v-8 power and 75hp to 100hp more do 0-60 around 4.2-4.4 seconds with exeptional handling and good quality. Toyota is doing very well now but has nothing for enthusiasts which could affect future sales if they don't start putting out some fun to drive cars that people are excited to go look out and buy.
Old 12-29-06 | 11:12 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

The GS450h beat out the GS430 and Fuga 450GT (M45) in a 3 lap battle at Tsukuba as tested by Best Motoring. The batteries were "drained" after the first lap.

The GS450h was 3 secs faster than the GS430 and 2 sec faster than the M45 after the first lap.
Old 12-30-06 | 12:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Nextourer
The GS450h beat out the GS430 and Fuga 450GT (M45) in a 3 lap battle at Tsukuba as tested by Best Motoring. The batteries were "drained" after the first lap.

The GS450h was 3 secs faster than the GS430 and 2 sec faster than the M45 after the first lap.
any links??? I would love to see this.
Old 12-30-06 | 01:27 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
any links??? I would love to see this.
I'll try to find it. I might've got it off mininova or something.

Edit: Here's one but no seeders yet: http://www.mininova.org/tor/341306

Edit2: An even better link: http://www.torrentz.com/c31f1b4ca750...27a3ac081dcf79

Last edited by Nextourer; 12-30-06 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-30-06 | 02:55 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Here is another site. For some reason I can't cut and paste the whole link.

Go to dpccars.com

Select car-movies

Select Sep 2006 car videos

Select Best Motoring July 2006 09-23-06 video

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 12-30-06 at 03:09 AM.
Old 12-30-06 | 06:55 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
Well it is nice Toyota is putting out sports car concepts but we have been hearing of a Supra replacement since 1999 which has never happend. One thing that bothers me is why would they do a hybrid powerplant in a sports car. It is actually one of the worst things to do in a high performance car is put heavy batteries in it that will eventually run out during frequent high speed runs. Then you are just towing hundreds of pounds of dead weight with reduced horsepower. I read an article on the GS450h that had it up against German sports sedans and during long high speed testing the GS batteries pretty much ran out and were no longer producing power in which it was completely outmatched by the German sedans and could not keep remotely close even in a straight away. There is a reason Ferrari, Lamborgini, Porsche, Lotus, BMW M cars, do not use or plan to use hybrids in their sports cars because hybrid powerplants are just not suited for sports cars. IRL,GT class, Lemans, Formula one, Cart, and other racing marks have not used hybrids for the exact reason and these racing series have using everything from tiny highly turbo charged v-8s and even highly turboed 4 cylinders making 1000hp, propellers in the rear, 2 sets of rear tires, rotary powerplants, deisel powerplants, as well as other odd ways to take advantages of making power and handling yet they have not chose to pursue hybrids for the huge drawbacks and limitations.

Let me say first that im really not for a hybrid power train (or anything but a manual tranny etc) in a sports car. I am however, open to new technologies and as much as i'd like to hang on to older engine technology et al i'm curious to see where this goes. That being said, Lexus does race a GS450h in some racing series (will look for it) and F1 is making steps to have similar systems. right now I guess we can only hope if this is released it will be good.
Old 12-30-06 | 09:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChuH
Here is another site. For some reason I can't cut and paste the whole link.

Go to dpccars.com

Select car-movies

Select Sep 2006 car videos

Select Best Motoring July 2006 09-23-06 video

Chu...
Thanks for the pointers to the video!

Direct link:

http://tinyurl.com/veysq

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-30-06 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-30-06 | 09:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

That video is funny. Race is good, GS450h then Fuga then GS430. You can see the GS450h is nice and flat in corners, followed by the Fuga, followed by the wallowy GS430.

The video puts up some other info where it says "Time Attack" - I don't know if that means best lap time, because there the Fuga wins over the GS450h and GS430.

Then a funny part is when they look at the trunk space on the GS models. They show you can fit one average Japanese guy in the trunk of the GS450h and TWO average Japanese guys in the trunk of the GS430.
Old 12-30-06 | 11:59 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Let me say first that im really not for a hybrid power train (or anything but a manual tranny etc) in a sports car. I am however, open to new technologies and as much as i'd like to hang on to older engine technology et al i'm curious to see where this goes. That being said, Lexus does race a GS450h in some racing series (will look for it) and F1 is making steps to have similar systems. right now I guess we can only hope if this is released it will be good.
I am all for new technology and new ways to make power I just don't want to see hybrids being the only engine choice in sports car icons like the Supra especially when they have taken so long to come out with a new one. If Toyota and Honda want to make a hybrid sports car or sporty car then I say go for it just make non hybrid sports cars too. Don't make the hybrid the only choice we have at a sports car like having it in the next Supra, NSX, S2000 etc in which they already had very good powerplants and most enthusiasts want a regular powerplant without the weight, complexity, price, and disadvantages of a hybrid in a high performance sports car. Also tunability is also going to be a problem with hybrids and the owners may not be able to get any more horsepower through the aftermarket when it comes to hybrids because of the complexity of the systems. There were rumors the next NSX and possibly s2000 would be getting hybrid powertrains but it was later found to be untrue and a spokesman from Honda said a hybrid in a NSX would not be a good idea because of weight and performance issues. I don't think previous owners of these cars who will be a large percentage of future buyers want hybrid powerplants to be their only choice but maybe a new different sports or sporty car with a hybrid may have a market.

I would like to see an electric AC system being used more in high performance cars which would be totally independant of the engine so it does not sap performance but as of right now you would need a pretty large and heavy battery to run that system. I did not hear about F1 thinking about using a hybrid powertrain. I remember reading an article where some head guys at F1 were asked about possible different engines like hybrids and he went on to say how ill suited they were for endurance racing and would be a huge dissadvantage.

My main point was it would be interesting for Toyota or Honda to do a hybrid sports or sporty car that gets good mpg and has the instant low down torque and I am all for them trying new things just I don't want those hybrid powerplants being the only choice for their highly regarded sports cars like the new Supra and NSX when as of right now there are alot of dissadvantages to using a hybrid and a NA v-10, NA or turbo v-8 would be much better suited for those cars and much more preferred by enthusiasts.
Old 12-30-06 | 12:08 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Ok...the race series is a Japan only 24hr endurance race.

UDel, I do agree with you, but the Future of the internal combustion engine in its present form is well, limited. We will be seeing different technologies and alternate fuel sources. And they will only get better with time and the ICE did over the last 100 or so
Old 12-30-06 | 02:42 PM
Koma
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by EvgeshaIS300

Lollerskates.

Quick Reply: Oh, My, Toyota Hybrid Sports Car (merged threads)