Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Oh, My, Toyota Hybrid Sports Car (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 06:01 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Then a funny part is when they look at the trunk space on the GS models. They show you can fit one average Japanese guy in the trunk of the GS450h and TWO average Japanese guys in the trunk of the GS430.
The GS450h was unbeatable in the first lap because of the full electric motor power. The batteries were soon depleted after the first lap, however, so in the subsequent laps the GS450h wasn't performing as well as it could've been. Had this race been on a rolling start I bet the GS450h would've posted a better best lap time in the first lap than the Fuga.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 12-31-06 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-30-06, 09:56 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I'll try to find it. I might've got it off mininova or something.

Edit: Here's one but no seeders yet: http://www.mininova.org/tor/341306

Edit2: An even better link: http://www.torrentz.com/c31f1b4ca750...27a3ac081dcf79
In this episode, the TOM'S SC430 won the Super GT race event.
Old 12-30-06, 11:58 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I think the Concept is Hot!! but with all due respect Toyota is starting to **** me off.. I mean this is one of how many concept sports cars in the last few years..??? I say stop toying with us Toyota/Lexus people and just Build something!!! Now I can see why so many of us has gone to the German side (tired of freakin waiting!!)..It has been 7 years since the last Supra was sold - I say get with it or I'm finding myself a new brand.. (Its probably why my current coupe is a G35!!!)
Old 01-05-07, 11:11 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a blow up of the R&T render of what a production version would look like... pretty damn sweet IMHO

If toyota puts an improved version of its SMT in this car as well as keeping the weight reasonable, keeps the roof and wheel design intact, I'd take a serious look at buying this ride.

In the interview with calty IIRC, they spoke about a hybrid system with capacitors and stuff...It got me thinking... A 'push to pass' F1 style button would be very, very trick.
Old 01-05-07, 11:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

^^^ I like this a lot better
Old 01-05-07, 11:54 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
How hard is it for Toyota to give us a good handling front engined rwd sports car that does not weigh too much and is semi affordable.
Ditto. Unfortunately, just not enough real demand for one in the states.
Old 01-05-07, 12:05 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

so if the car becomes reality, we won't have any more "my turbo is bigger than yours, my engine can handle more psi, yada yada" discussions but rather "I have more torque at 0 rpms than you, I can generate more rww <rear wheel watts???>, I got a bigger TRD alternator, yada yada..."
Old 01-05-07, 03:09 PM
LexFather

I love turbo cars but it is indeed the old way of doing things.
Hybrid power is turbo power with none of the negatives, except weighing slightly more.

Old 01-06-07, 09:43 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And running out of power when the batteries are drained and take time to recharge

I think a turbo hybrid setup would be trick myself... best of both worlds!
Old 01-06-07, 10:00 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I love turbo cars but it is indeed the old way of doing things.
Hybrid power is turbo power with none of the negatives, except weighing slightly more.
Hybrid power might be the street racers new/future turbo, but it still wont work really well for real track use. Like you mentioned. More weight, and the addition of depleting the battery power under a long race is not good. Until someone can find a way to make the batteries last for hours under full hybrid/battery power, I say traditional forced induction will still be around for a long time. At the moment I'd say hybrid power is the future Nitrous Oxide
Old 01-06-07, 10:01 PM
LexFather

I said years ago, a lot of internal debate of what Toyota wanted to do. Go traditional or go new age with hybrids.

Looks like the hybrids won, which means it will take TONS of time to make this car.
Trust me, if they wanted to make a sports car they could easily take the Nissan formula and make a car off existing parts/platforms.

Toyota seems to want to do something different.

Batteries are getting smaller and more powerful every year, hybrids will only get better and better.

Old 01-07-07, 07:26 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I said years ago, a lot of internal debate of what Toyota wanted to do. Go traditional or go new age with hybrids.

Looks like the hybrids won, which means it will take TONS of time to make this car.
Trust me, if they wanted to make a sports car they could easily take the Nissan formula and make a car off existing parts/platforms.

Toyota seems to want to do something different.

Batteries are getting smaller and more powerful every year, hybrids will only get better and better.
I love how we have the same viewpoint on Nissan. They're playing it very safe with their designs lately. The new Altima I hardly recognized on the road until I saw the rear. The new G, I saw parked and I was wondering if it was a modified G or the new one.
Old 01-07-07, 05:22 PM
Sup
Driver

I think the production version will end up looking something like this.

Old 01-07-07, 06:45 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

me thinks not....
Old 01-07-07, 07:16 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Edmunds posted live pictures of the FT-HS. I think it looks much better in those live pics than it does in the 3D renderings, particularly the taillights IMHO.
http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee97210

Quick Reply: Oh, My, Toyota Hybrid Sports Car (merged threads)