Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford CEO meets with Toyota on potential partnership

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 10:12 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this a Toyota forum but you guys that spend every moment hoping for one or all of the big 3 to fail should rethink that position, it's in the best interest of this country that everyone survive, Toyota is a great company but far from perfect, the larger they become the more quality will slip, much easier to control it low at volume versus large.
Old 12-26-06, 11:16 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the rest of you that on the surface Toyota has nothing to gain.

However, if they can somehow come to an agreement where Toyota parts will be used in a ford designed vehicle to help increase reliability, performance, and fuel efficiency, then I think both parties can come out ahead.

The outcome being Toyota makes more money and isn't seen as a Japanese company that totally destroyed the competition (which it really is and has but we'll let the die hard domestic vehicle fans think otherwise). And of course, to appease those aforementioned die hard domestic fans, they'll be able to purchase their Ford vehicles still and rock the Ford name even though they can take it to a Toyota dealership for an oil change.

Images of Expeditions with 400H engines suddenly come to mind...
Old 12-27-06, 01:54 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kepeli
Pssssst, sell the your 1994 RX-7 because Ford bought their 25% stake in Mazda in 1979... In 1996, Ford increased their investment in Mazda to 33%.
Really? No! Can't be, Ford doesn't know anything about rotorys. Are you sure on this because if its true then I fell like a complete idiot on this. I was told this by a couple of other RX-7 owners. I thought they new what they were talking about.
Old 12-27-06, 02:30 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
Really? No! Can't be, Ford doesn't know anything about rotorys. Are you sure on this because if its true then I fell like a complete idiot on this. I was told this by a couple of other RX-7 owners. I thought they new what they were talking about.
the part of Ford's ownership is true
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda

BUT, as far as anyone knows Ford has/had/will have no part in the development of ANY rotary engine past or present.
Old 12-27-06, 03:02 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

<Feels like complete idiot

RX-7 will be sold put on market later this morning, Honda S2000 here I come baby! Lol
Old 12-27-06, 03:19 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
<Feels like complete idiot

RX-7 will be sold put on market later this morning, Honda S2000 here I come baby! Lol
if your so desperate to sell your "ford" () id be more than willing to take it off your hands for say....a donut?
Old 12-27-06, 03:49 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
if your so desperate to sell your "ford" () id be more than willing to take it off your hands for say....a donut?
What kind of donut?.......................na i'm straight with it. Ford does make good trucks and thats what i'm gonna keep telling myself,lol
Old 12-27-06, 09:20 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Have to vent from my experience with Ford today. My 06 Fusion went in for servicing on 4 issues: a/c compressor knock upon engagement (the guy said all cars do this), clunk from left suspension, CD changer load error ( I rarely use it), and battery drain causing dead battery if parked for 2 days. The car rolled over the 36000 mile mark recently and I had no time to take it in so by the time I met up with them today I had 36122 miles on it. So with only 122 miles over the warranty period would Ford pick up the repair bill? NOPE. Service manager response, "THAT WOULD BE FRAUD!" My response was, "That would be customer service.". Now keep in mind that this car has been to the dealer multiple problems for a variety of issues from transmission, engine, door handles, a/c, speakers, etc..... With that kind of history I would think Ford could step up considering the car is only 122 miles over the warranty limit.
Old 12-28-06, 12:15 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

yeah you should of went in right before the warrenty went out. I guess its times for a trade in with a new warrenty.
Old 12-28-06, 01:09 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

idk how ford works so i guesss you could do what you would do if a toyota dealership did something like this (wouldnt cover 122mi over warranty) and call the headoffice
Old 12-28-06, 01:57 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

all i have to say is I hope toyota doesnt put its reputation or automobiles at risk by doing business with ford.
Old 12-28-06, 05:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Have to vent from my experience with Ford today. My 06 Fusion went in for servicing on 4 issues: a/c compressor knock upon engagement (the guy said all cars do this), clunk from left suspension, CD changer load error ( I rarely use it), and battery drain causing dead battery if parked for 2 days. The car rolled over the 36000 mile mark recently and I had no time to take it in so by the time I met up with them today I had 36122 miles on it. So with only 122 miles over the warranty period would Ford pick up the repair bill? NOPE. Service manager response, "THAT WOULD BE FRAUD!" My response was, "That would be customer service.". Now keep in mind that this car has been to the dealer multiple problems for a variety of issues from transmission, engine, door handles, a/c, speakers, etc..... With that kind of history I would think Ford could step up considering the car is only 122 miles over the warranty limit.
With the long list of problems you've had Lee, you should talk to Ford directly and tell them how dissatisfied you are.
Old 12-28-06, 09:22 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toy4two
I just can't see some Union Ford employees in Detroit assembling Toyota's.
that's what's killing ford and GM, the Unions.. If ford needs to learn something from toyota is that, avoid unions
Old 12-28-06, 04:11 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
With the long list of problems you've had Lee, you should talk to Ford directly and tell them how dissatisfied you are.
Spoke to them today and they are trying to get the selling dealer to pick up the tab on a new stereo head unit. Ford will not honor it themselves. Go figure. The clunk from the front suspension are the rear brakes (which they are not) but they are adamant. Electrical drain (that was the original diagnostic from there) was the battery. We shall see what the dealer says next. Thanks