Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to introduce new line of hybrids - sedan,station wagon,minivan & diesel hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 07:44 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Toyota to introduce new line of hybrids - sedan,station wagon,minivan & diesel hybrid

Posted on Thursday 28 December 2006

A brand new hybrid-only model will join Toyota’s Prius in 2009 to help the Japanese carmaker boost its sales of hybrid vehicles past 1m. The new model will be a midsize sedan and come fitted with a 2.5-3.0L engine, rather than the anemic 1.5L engine currently found in the Prius.

The sedan will get Toyota’s third-generation hybrid system, which promises to be both smaller and lower priced, reports Japan’s Asahi newspaper. The new drivetrain will also feature in the next generation Prius that’s due in 2009 as well as other hybrid Toyota models. It should reduce the current price penalty of being green from $4,000 down to $1,900.

Toyota’s also looking in to rolling out hybrid-only station wagons and minivans down the track. A diesel hybrid is expected by 2010, and should achieve ratings of over 50mpg, even with the tough new EPA standards.
source : motorauthority
Old 12-28-06, 08:36 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another hybrid only car?

Perhaps with more "performance" than the Prius?

That sounds promising, especially with word of the hybrid sports car flying around...
Old 12-28-06, 08:50 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

The diesel hybrids sound interesting. Just imagine the mileage that will be achieved on a tankfull on those cars
Old 12-28-06, 09:15 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Diesel+hybrid
How will it work with the noise level=clack clack clack clack+whisper quiet
Old 12-28-06, 09:17 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Diesel+hybrid
How will it work with the noise level=clack clack clack clack+whisper quiet
Have you heard a new MB diesel engine? They are very very quiet engines now.
Old 12-28-06, 09:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Diesel hybrid would be nice...more torque, too.
Old 12-28-06, 09:52 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Have you heard a new MB diesel engine? They are very very quiet engines now.
Yup, I have rode in those E Class taxi's in Europe, you can't distinguish them from the gasoline engines.
Old 12-28-06, 10:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

so it will be around camry size huh? this is great, people like the prius but i do hear that some complain about the space and the lack of power, hopefully this corrects those problems
Old 12-28-06, 01:11 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why engineer completely new models when you could engineer hybrid systems to fit your existing model range?

I would rather see Hybrid Siennas, Highlanders, Avalons, etc, before I see some other new vehicle that competes directly with them.
Old 12-28-06, 02:02 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Why engineer completely new models when you could engineer hybrid systems to fit your existing model range?

I would rather see Hybrid Siennas, Highlanders, Avalons, etc, before I see some other new vehicle that competes directly with them.
It has something to do with the "cool factor". A lot of potential customers out there think driving or owning a hybrid vehicle is "cool", while they don't really know (or care) much about how much gas money they can save or how it's better for the environment. These people want their hybrid vehicles to look different than other cars on the street. A hybrid Camry or RX or Accord or Civic won't satisfy their needs.
Old 12-28-06, 09:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,454 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

There's usually an inherent inefficiency in offering both hybrid and non-hybrid drivetrains on the same vehicle, especially if they're relatively small. I think Toyota's best implementation is in the RX400h where it eats up no usable space and makes the vehicle better than the non-hybrid one.

So designing a vehicle to ONLY have a hybrid drivetrain means it doesn't have to have packaging compromises to support both hybrid and non-hybrid drivetrains freeing up the engineers to innovate.

The Prius is decent, but Toyota can and will do a lot better, especially if they get to much smaller and lighter lithium ion batteries.
Old 12-28-06, 09:32 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diesel hybrids sounds promising.
Old 12-28-06, 09:34 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Very exciting news. Can't wait for the 3rd-gen Toyota hybrids.

Now how about some more Lexus hybrids?
Old 12-28-06, 09:52 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

I think there was news about Toyota wanting to make a brand out of the Prius name, and making Prius sedans, coupes, minivans, etc. Though this might make for an interesting spinoff, I do agree that Toyota is much better off making a hybrid Camry, Sienna, etc. The Toyota brand is big enough as is.
Old 12-28-06, 10:41 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
so it will be around camry size huh? this is great, people like the prius but i do hear that some complain about the space and the lack of power, hopefully this corrects those problems
complain about space? we have more rear legroom than the Gen 5 Camry (don't know how it stacks up against the Gen 6). It's classified as a midsize too.

The thing is, whether they'll make it closer to the Avensis as opposed to the Camry. The Camry in the Japan must be big compared to their cars. Something like the Avensis (which I believe is still midsize but on the smaller end of the scale) should suit them better. Besides, it'll be lighter too making better use of the 2.5 - 3.0 litre engine.

Quick Reply: Toyota to introduce new line of hybrids - sedan,station wagon,minivan & diesel hybrid