Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: nsx or s2k??
acura nsx
76.81%
honda s2000
23.19%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

buying a acura nsx or honda s2k??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-06, 06:07 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out these video links. It is the NSX's Last Battle. Pretty cool. If you can understand Japanese it is better. If not, you can still make out some of the history of this car just by the video. When they say hand build/assembled you get a hint at what they mean. Very few cars today are pushed round from work station to work station on dolly's. The NSX-R carbon fiber pieces are all hand laid. I have an NSX-R book that shows how they do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChWFtidZtYA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su1ZWvw5GjM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YRmLHBtu4A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn6wtSLkidU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZO6GLz1v7Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtGqIwpJ8oU
Old 01-01-07, 03:52 AM
Maximus350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just bought a 2003 NSX and let me tell you, there is no other car under 100k like it!
Old 01-01-07, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I wouldn't boost the engine at all, unless it was with factory-designed or factory-approved equipment, especially if it is still under warranty. The S2000's standard warranty, however, until recently, was just 3/36, even on the engine, so even with factory equipment, with a 2002-2003, you're probably going to be on your own anyway. But still keep in mind that with factory-approved stuff you are much less likely to damage the engine. Repair ships are full of cars with damaged or blown engines that armchair tuners have ruined by not knowing what they are doing...there is a good reason why the factory approves certain things and not others.
Old 01-02-07, 01:36 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True Marshell, but if you buy from a well know company like Comptech and you install it the way its ment to be and only boost the amout the kit says then you will have no problem at all. Its when young teenagers(my age) get these turbo or superchrger kits and they think they engine is rock solid so the turn up the boost way to much and then *poof* their goes there engine. The car salesmen with the supercharger here has a comptech S/C on his s2k and has had it since they came out with it and has never had a problem since he left it alone. Aslong as your smart with it, I say boost is a must.

Last edited by DriftNsc3; 01-02-07 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-02-07, 08:53 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've driven both the NSX and the S2000... different animals, really.

The S2000 is quick, nimble, and the top goes down. Cool, but a convertible isn't a priority for me... I prefer the stiffness that a closed-roof car has. Also, you'll have to drive the S2K like you stole it to produce maximum performance results- it has good horsepower but not much torque.

The NSX has the engine where it belongs (in the middle) and has quite a bit more torque. It's more of an exotic car, with its' aluminum body, suspension components, titanium connecting rods, etc. The sound of the V6 spinning to 8,000 rpm is nothing short of glorious... plus, it's as reliable as a stone! The fun of a car like this is DRIVING it, not working on it.

Either car can easily go 100K miles with simple tire & clutch replacement (our '94 NSX has the original clutch still!).

The NSX will also turn more heads
Old 01-02-07, 12:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
True Marshell, but if you buy from a well know company like Comptech and you install it the way its ment to be and only boost the amout the kit says then you will have no problem at all.
Legitimate tuner companies like Comptech, Saleen, Roush, Lingenfelter, etc..... hire professionals, have trained auto engineers that know what they are doing, and usually offer warranties of their own to replace the factory one.
Old 01-02-07, 12:41 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Legitimate tuner companies like Comptech, Saleen, Roush, Lingenfelter, etc..... hire professionals, have trained auto engineers that know what they are doing, and usually offer warranties of their own to replace the factory one.
Right, that what I was tring to say but didn't come out as simple as your, lol. I've heard of big companies even replacing blown motors due to a faulty kit.
Old 01-02-07, 05:50 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Can't go wrong with either.

Note: maintenance on the NSX will be more - an older vehicle with higher mileage will obviously have more parts that need replacement. Budget for this.

I'd say the S2000 is the better daily driver. It's got power steering (91-94 NSX's do not), a MUCH better turning radius (it puzzles me that the turning radius on the NSX is worse than a Lexus GS), and of course, it's under warranty.

But that said, guess what I drive around every day...
Old 01-25-07, 11:23 PM
semdaddy
Pole Position

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DG
nsx turboo!
Old 01-26-07, 08:50 AM
manila_boy
Lead Lap

SoCalSC4...

if i were to choose any other super cars other than toyota (supra ofkorz) i would pick this one - obviously this is my vote hehe. and skyline R34 for nissan. i've driven my friends nsx (w/NOS) it is just amazing this car is, i have nothing else to say to it... well on the other hand i drove my cousin's s2k, it's just pretty much just like my mr2t - small compact sports car, it's just fun to drive, small but terrible i gess. however i could'nt drive it too aggresivlly because of it is being too low i'm afreaid i'm going to ruin the kit (paint) and the wheels (lips) i have to admit me my cousin drove to 210 fwy (2-3am) i'm in my GS4 i coudn't keep-off of him, however he got me on to those tight turn (going onto 2 fwy) i got so affraid that i'm going to slide to the rail for being too heavy! after that i couldn't keep up with him because we got into 5 fwy with so much down turns and the pavements are horrible! so i LOST but we pissed off this guy on a 06 SI who's trying to keep up with us and another dude with his 240sx turbo (heard him pssssshhhhh) - they did'nt make it... so yeah NSX for MEEEEEEEH!!! kids these days don't know how to respect people on the road they see something they could beat they they surround u like bees, they see u with these super cars they give u respect, and a nod most of the time
Old 01-26-07, 10:16 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I think both are great cars. I would be happy to own either. I personally would choose the NSX if I could only have one or the other. I just loved driving the NSX. The car is so drivable as a daily driver (If you don't need a lot of passenger room), but can still be a beast when you want it to (Even today with all the high HP cars). The feel of the mid engine chassis is just amazing IMHO. I recently sold my NSX to my brother, but I really miss it already. I miss it so much that I;m now trying to save up some money so I can buy another one maybe in a year. Maintenance when I had the NSX was not much more than any typical V6 motor Acura like the RL. Insurance was only about $1050/year though State Farm for me. For comparison, my old 94 Civic with the same coverage was about $950//year, and my wifes RX330 is about $1400/year.

Thats cuz it is a 'typical' honda V6, same engine (C30, C32) was also found in the legend and various other hondas.
Old 01-26-07, 02:13 PM
Blk96Supra
Lead Lap

NSX FTW! S2K is gay! LoL. But seriously the S2k is sooo small inside the cabin. Only way i could ever ride in it would be with the top down.
Old 01-26-07, 02:40 PM
racinghart
Pole Position

factor in maintenance costs on a 91-93 nsx. engine overhauls are like 10k i heard... some bs like that... i couldnt afford the maintenace or insurance personally i voted NSX but highly consider the S2k for lower maintenance
Old 01-26-07, 03:14 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Thats cuz it is a 'typical' honda V6, same engine (C30, C32) was also found in the legend and various other hondas.
Same family but very different. I had the good fortune to own 3 Legends and the NSX. Trying to get an NSX engine to fit the Legend is not cost effective. The heads don't even bolt up due to the DOHC on the NSX. I get your point though as that is my point as well. I think highly of the C spec Honda engines.
Old 01-26-07, 03:16 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by racinghart
factor in maintenance costs on a 91-93 nsx. engine overhauls are like 10k i heard... some bs like that... i couldnt afford the maintenace or insurance personally i voted NSX but highly consider the S2k for lower maintenance
Not even close. Unless you blow the engine you wont spend anywhere near $10K. You probably wont need a complete overhaul of the engine until near 300K miles either. You can buy used C30 engines for about $7K and C32s for maybe $10K-$15K.

Quick Reply: buying a acura nsx or honda s2k??