Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dec 2006 and 2006 Year End Sales aka Lexus #1 again

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-07, 09:26 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
Well if the previous month had 898 LS 430s sold in September in total, subtracting that gives around 3,000 LS 460s sold (out of 3865) which is still a very impressive number!
And I'm sure that it was far less than that. However, I still wish Toyota would take the time to break out the numbers.
Old 01-04-07, 09:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by biker
TSX saves Acura again. They have to get off the SUV bandwagon - way too much reliance on their SUVs. Once the novelty of the RDX and MDX wears off, they're in trouble.
I dont think it's fair to say they're riding on the SUV bandwagon. It just happens that many people like their SUVs, so they buy it. That's almost saying Lexus should get off the entry luxury sedan (ES) because they are too reliance on it. If it sells, then it sells.

Acura sold 201,233 units for 2006. Mercedes Benz sold 248,080 units. But keep in mind that Acura has only 6 different models to account for that number (RSX, TL, RL, TSX, MDX, and RDX which just came out). None of those cars offer optional submodels, except for the RSX-S/RSX). The RL has been a poor seller from the start. Mercedes has so many different models out there. For acura, with so little variety, to hang in there is an accomplishment. Only three Acura models are hot sellers (tsx, tl, mdx). Sure the MDX sells a lot, but so does the Lexus RX-series. Keep in mind that the TSX and TL came out in 2004. They will be due for a makeover this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Lexus is doing well as a whole, which is great. Sales for the GS is dissappointing, even with the introduction of the GS350 and GS450h. A GS460 wont save it's sales so Lexus is going to have to do something, unless they intentionally reduce the numbers of GS produce and call it a special limited production model

Last edited by GSteg; 01-04-07 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-04-07, 09:49 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

TSX saves Acura again. They have to get off the SUV bandwagon - way too much reliance on their SUVs. Once the novelty of the RDX and MDX wears off, they're in trouble.
Remember, up until 2006, Lexus sold more trucks than cars.

I don't think the MDX "novelty" is going to wear off however - it is a great car (ahem, truck). I'm not sure they can make much more than 6-7K a month and they should have no trouble selling that many for quite a while.

The RDX on the other hand.....
Old 01-05-07, 02:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
I dont think it's fair to say they're riding on the SUV bandwagon. It just happens that many people like their SUVs, so they buy it. That's almost saying Lexus should get off the entry luxury sedan (ES) because they are too reliance on it. If it sells, then it sells.

Acura sold 201,233 units for 2006. Mercedes Benz sold 248,080 units. But keep in mind that Acura has only 6 different models to account for that number (RSX, TL, RL, TSX, MDX, and RDX which just came out). None of those cars offer optional submodels, except for the RSX-S/RSX). The RL has been a poor seller from the start. Mercedes has so many different models out there. For acura, with so little variety, to hang in there is an accomplishment. Only three Acura models are hot sellers (tsx, tl, mdx). Sure the MDX sells a lot, but so does the Lexus RX-series. Keep in mind that the TSX and TL came out in 2004. They will be due for a makeover this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Lexus is doing well as a whole, which is great. Sales for the GS is dissappointing, even with the introduction of the GS350 and GS450h. A GS460 wont save it's sales so Lexus is going to have to do something, unless they intentionally reduce the numbers of GS produce and call it a special limited production model
Keep in mind Acura has by far the lowest entry and sales price of any luxury marque. 200k low priced sales are nothing compared to Benz's 248k very high priced sales. It SOUNDS great on paper and I commend them on making 200k sales for 2 years but its pretty much all entry level cars/suvs.

I think car companies are NUTS NOT TO jump on the SUV bandwagon. Its just still, a very hot and now PERMANENT segment.
Lexus-3 SUVs
Benz-3 SUVs and 1 van and another SUV coming
BMW-2 SUVs and one coming
Infiniti-2 SUVs out of a 4 product lineup
Audi-1 SUV and another coming
Acura-2 SUVs
Caddy-2 SUVs

Its just amazing, that the RX has just been a grand slam for Lexus. We are talking over 100k SUVs sold year in year out. That is more than some ENTIRE luxury marques.

Trust me, every company wishes they had the RX in their corner. The MDX also is a strong SUV seller in its first generation.

Old 01-05-07, 04:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doug_999
And I'm sure that it was far less than that. However, I still wish Toyota would take the time to break out the numbers.
I guess it seems inconsequential for them to do a breakdown.
Old 01-05-07, 04:41 PM
biker
Lead Lap

Vehicles like the RX and RDX are not even being called SUVs anymore - CUV or some other term (tall wagon) other than SUV is what the marketeers throw around.

Remember, up until 2006, Lexus sold more trucks than cars.
And guess what - it's probably gonna stay that way (more cars than trucks).

Volume wise, Acura has way too much exposure on the SUV/CUV front. And on the sedan front, in the short term, I expect the volume #s to go down. Acura will have a tough time selling 3K/mo TSX after the new model is announced this weekend. And the TL, incentives galore to keep up the sales until the model change.

RL is just a lost cause. Just like the Phateon - good car that few people liked.

If the GS numbers don't turn around this year, it may end up in the same category. It seems very likely the M will pull and stay ahead.
Old 01-06-07, 02:45 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Toyota's Lexus Remains Best-Selling Foreign Car in Korea

Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus became the best-selling imported car in Korea for the second straight year in 2006, beating its German rival BMW.

The Japanese automaker sold 6,581 Lexus models in Korea last year, compared with 6,101 sedans sold by BMW, the Korea Automobile Importers and Distributors Association said Friday.

BMW took first place in Korea for six consecutive years since 1999, but the German luxury brand handed over its top status to Toyota's Lexus in 2005.

Toyota's Lexus is making concerted efforts to boost its sales with active promotions, targeting rich people in southern Seoul.

According to the association, the total number of imported vehicle sales in the country increased 31.2 percent to a new high of 40,530 units last year from a year ago as foreign automakers introduced new models with affordable prices.

01-05-2007 14:23
http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/...4232811910.htm

Old 01-06-07, 03:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Well honestly I don't think anyone says Lexus is failing. There are those here that think Lexus rules the world, others who are quick to point out the flaws in their logic, and finally lots of people who just like to talk cars.

Oh and as pointed out, the most expensive LS (yet) did not sell 3865 units in December - the prior model and the new combined combined to make that #
:-)

It is ridicilous that every time Lexus tops the sales, 2-3 people here start posting how Lexus is failing.

It is ridicilous because:
1. Lexus is more profitable per car than BMW or MB
2. Lexus dealer gets more money per car than BMW or MB dealer
3. Lexus sells most cars in the USA of all luxury brands.
4. Lexus customers rate their cars best quality
5. Lexus dealers rate their satisfaction the best

It is hard to fault most profitable luxury car manufacturer, that also has most sales, happiest car owners and happiest car dealers.

:-).

yet, every month, we get the same thing over and over. It deserves word "ridicilous" tagged next to it.
Old 01-06-07, 03:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

apsolutly wrong. They make more money on MDX and RDX than on TL and TSX.

It is great for them to be able to sell MDX and RDX.
Old 01-06-07, 03:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

You know, I hesitate to get into these discussions but when blatant errors are made......

Out the door 5-series are MUCH more expensive than a comparable GS vehicle - WITH incentives INCLUDED (and note the incentives are almost always in the form of money factors on leases and rarely on a purchase).

Compare a GS350AWD vs. 530xi. Comparably equipped:
GS350 MSRP $51,345, dealer cost $45,022
530XI MSRP $58,920, dealer cost $52,685
(numbers per KBB)

Also, go price an E-Class, MB has revised their pricing and now they tend to be less money (MSRP) than BMW.
That's not totally accurate.

The cheapest 5 Series (and this is a significant point, since even with luxury cars, most people buy the cheapest option available) has an MSRP of $43,500. And that's not including incentives. Whether the incentives apply to lease rates or actual cash is irrelevant, since lots of people lease cars too. If they get a much better lease rate on a 5 Series vs a GS, what do you think most customers will go for? The cheapest GS has an MSRP of $44,150.
Old 01-06-07, 03:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Well honestly I don't think anyone says Lexus is failing. There are those here that think Lexus rules the world, others who are quick to point out the flaws in their logic, and finally lots of people who just like to talk cars.

Oh and as pointed out, the most expensive LS (yet) did not sell 3865 units in December - the prior model and the new combined combined to make that #
Rules the world? I honestly have yet to see a ClubLexus member with such an attitude, and that most definitely does not reflect the overall attitude and perspective of ClubLexus members as a whole.
Old 01-06-07, 07:45 PM
LexFather

I have the new CAR where they state with Toyota's help, Porsche makes more money per car than anyone in the industry now. THey didn't state specific amounts but I believe them.

Old 01-06-07, 08:31 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That's not totally accurate.

The cheapest 5 Series (and this is a significant point, since even with luxury cars, most people buy the cheapest option available) has an MSRP of $43,500. And that's not including incentives. Whether the incentives apply to lease rates or actual cash is irrelevant, since lots of people lease cars too. If they get a much better lease rate on a 5 Series vs a GS, what do you think most customers will go for? The cheapest GS has an MSRP of $44,150.
TRDFantasy, seriously, have you ever been car shopping? Why don't you go find me some 525s priced at $43,500 - please!

Have you ever purchased a luxury car? Do you know anyone who has? Because let me tell you this statement "since even with luxury cars, most people buy the cheapest option available" is so blatantly wrong it is not even funny. People who buy luxury cars get lots of options on them - they NEVER buy base - and if they want to buy base, they have to order it cause no dealer is stupid enough to bring a base 525 in. If you don't believe me, check out some BMW dealer websites - most list their new car inventory (something Lexus dealers do not) - go see what the 525s are priced at.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Rules the world? I honestly have yet to see a ClubLexus member with such an attitude
Then you are not looking very hard. But tell you what - since you are blind to the few here who believe this, every time I come across one of the blind fan boys, I'll PM you.
Old 01-06-07, 08:34 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf

It is ridicilous that every time Lexus tops the sales, 2-3 people here start posting how Lexus is failing.
Rather than clog up this thread - why don't you PM me with examples of these 2-3 people - I'd LOVE to see which 2-3 they are.
Old 01-07-07, 06:10 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
apsolutly wrong. They make more money on MDX and RDX than on TL and TSX.

It is great for them to be able to sell MDX and RDX.
That's why they're in trouble, because like GM and Ford they rely on profits from SUVs (as you saw on the other chart Acura has the highest % of SUV sales) whose sales volume could be in jeopardy. Yes its' great while they can sell them, but what happens if/when the volumes start going down?

Quick Reply: Dec 2006 and 2006 Year End Sales aka Lexus #1 again