Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next S2000 a 4-Seater ? (& to get Acura Badge ? )

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 09:31 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Long love S2K. I love that car very much. I've always wanted one and I just wish that I could fit in that car to enjoy it.
Same here, I can fit in the car, but not comfortable for me for very long, I've seriously considered getting one at one point, but didn't for that reason.
Old 02-01-07, 09:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I've driven the s2000 on many occasions..even in stock form, it's a blast to drive. Those who are complaining about having to rev the engine to get around the city should be ashamed of themselves. The car was born to rev. Winding up the engine brings a smile to my face all the the time. The 2004+ are better for city driving, but the 00-03's aren't as bad as people make it out to be.

I wouldn't mind having an 4-seater Acura if it was based off of an S2000. I just wouldn't want them to introduce the car as a successor to the s2000.
Old 02-02-07, 01:08 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Some history
1. The S2000 was a gift from Honda to itself. It was supposed to be one model, for one generation.
2. Sales far exceeded expectations. The car has been a big hit
3. Back when the S2000 was about to debut, Acura dealers BEGGED for it to be an Acura. It didn't happen.

At this point, NSX is now front engined, S2000 might be a 4 seat car, Intergra Type R is gone, NSX is gone.....your left with Pilot, Element, CR-V etc.

Seems the appeal of profits is too big to ignore. We cannot blame them, it is a business.
I know, Honda is trying too hard to appeal to marketing people and trying too hard to separate Acura from Honda. I wouldn't be ashamed of their Honda heritage if I were Acura. The S2000 should never be an Acura. It is a Honda and a tribute to the Honda S Roadster. That is like making the GT-R an Infiniti, or the Supra a Lexus. Honda has he racing heritage, not Acura. Sell luxury cars under Acura an keep the sports cars under Honda. I wouldn't have minded at all if the NSX was under Honda in the US.
Old 02-02-07, 02:44 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting points on the product brand strategy. I would say however that the S2000 just doesn't fit in the Honda lineup all that well. I realize that there is the heritage, but at that price point...and with the NSX coming in above....maybe having a second coupe would send a message...

Well then again Nissan is selling a $70,000 GT-R, but IMO part of the reason why they're doing that instead of their luxury brand is because of heritage and the weakness at their luxury brand, plus the character of the car.

The S2000 could be repositioned as a luxury vehicle for Acura. But it doesn't have to be a four-seater. It can be a nice 2-seater for Acura...