Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My car was totaled yesterday...pics...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 03:37 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My car was totaled yesterday...pics...

Hey all. Just wanted to share a little story on here. Yesterday morning I was stopped in traffic when a brand new Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4X4 slammed into the rear of my car at about 55MPH, which in turn shoved me into the utility truck in front of me, and then into oncoming traffic. I went instantly into shock and was rushed to the hospital to check for injuries, but thankfully everything checked out pretty well. I've got a lot of soft tissue damage and am very bruised and sore today, but here are the pictures. The front and rear ends are obviously destroyed, the rear windshield shattered on me, the drivers seat was bent and destroyed, etc

Old 01-07-07, 03:40 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jesus; glad you're ok man! Any idea why the Ram hit you doing 55mph?
Old 01-07-07, 03:43 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy "didn't see me" although it was a straight, two lane road, and traffic was all stopped...except for him obviously. Not quite sure about his story.
Old 01-07-07, 03:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I am surprised there aren't more serious damage for a 55mph collision the way you described it
Glad you checked out OK though, & hope you recover quick from the aches & pain. Take good care of yourself.
Old 01-07-07, 03:55 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to hear you're not seriously injured.
Old 01-07-07, 03:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'll join the others here in my appreciation for your safety.

Testimony to how well Toyota isolated the fuel tank and filler pipe in this car and protected it from rupture......and maybe some help and protection from the Man Upstairs.
In some cars, getting hit like this in the rear could have produced a fireball....especially by a big Ram. You also could have gotten a severe whiplash, with neck or back injuries.....fortunately you seemed to have avoided that as well, but I hope you got a thorough spine and neck examination at the hospital.

Unless the driver of that Ram can come with a good excuse......and I mean a DAMN good one.......why he or she hit you at that speed, you've got an excellent civil case against them for the cost of replacing your Camry ( at least with another equivalent new Camry ), particularly if it was a DUI or DWI, and for the cost of your treatment at the hospital....which, today, is anything BUT cheap. Of course, if they are insured, their insurance should cover that, and you won't have to sue, but insurance will not always cover a DWI. If it doesn't, or if the driver was not insured, then you DO have a case...a good one. ( and, believe me.....I am not one for frivolous lawsuits...I believe the system is often abused ).

I won't give you a sermon......that is not my place....... but if you or your lawyer decide to sue ( and you may have a good case ), my advice is to be honest, and don't ask for more than you really need...or entitled to for your inconvience and suffering. God was very kind to you in sparing your life when that car could have been a fireball, and He likes honesty in return.

And, last, other drivers may have a case against that Ram driver as well....especially the one that got hit by the front end of your car whan it was pushed out into traffic.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-07-07 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-07-07, 04:02 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Damn, that's ugly. I, along with everyone else here am very thankful you are here to tell that horrific story. You survived the hardest part better days are coming to you. I wish you a speedy full recovery physically or otherwise.
Old 01-07-07, 04:14 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

I'm glad you are okay! Considering it was a 55mph rearend from a Ram, your Camry crunched up rather well. Keep safe, and I hope you recover to be 100% again.
Old 01-07-07, 04:14 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jesus thank God your ok though bro...Have a quick recovery
Old 01-07-07, 04:55 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Damn, that's crazy. Glad you're ok for the most part. Good luck with getting everything resolved.
Old 01-07-07, 05:05 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

My uncle works on body damage along with being a general mechanic, and I see some wild stuff he brings in from accidents, including sometimes going to the actual scenes. In about 1 in 5 of the times I go with him, somebody is dead at the scene often with damage as you have shown in your pictures. I am thus very happy that you are alive.
Old 01-07-07, 05:09 PM
LexFather

Glad your okay!! The car held up very well.

Old 01-07-07, 05:51 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to hear your okay!
Old 01-07-07, 07:17 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

From the impact it looks like you would have been slammed all over the place but the cockpit looks intact.. Glad your ok... Got to admit though if it was any other car injuries may have been worse.. GL bro,,,
Old 01-07-07, 07:20 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to hear that you are safe out of the hospital.

I hope you make a full recovery. Keep safe!

Quick Reply: My car was totaled yesterday...pics...