Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Infiniti QX56

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 11:09 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'de much rather have the new Q7, LX, or X5 over that monstrosity.
Old 01-15-07, 11:25 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by pemarsh
I just could not believe the reliability for the qx is that bad. So, i tool a look at consumer reports, and ALL of the infinities are rated well above average----EXCEPT the qx56, which is rated at the very bottom. Hare to believe based on all the other infinities great reliability ratings. Why are all the others so good, but this model is so damn poor???

Please forgive me, and I'm not trying to be a jerk about this either. But...

Infiniti's

Last edited by Milla...; 01-15-07 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-15-07, 02:35 PM
pemarsh
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL....my mistake. I was typing so fast I never thought about that. My bad. Oh well. All the same, can anyone tell me why just the qx56 is so bad, and not the other infinitys????

sorry again about the horrible spelling...no excuses-- i even work as a doctor and i still cant spell!!!
Old 01-15-07, 02:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pemarsh
LOL....my mistake. I was typing so fast I never thought about that. My bad. Oh well. All the same, can anyone tell me why just the qx56 is so bad, and not the other infinitys????

sorry again about the horrible spelling...no excuses-- i even work as a doctor and i still cant spell!!!
Nissan decided to rebadge the Armada into a QX56.Wise move to rebadge as everyone does it and the house size SUV market is a lucrative one.
The Armada is built in a new plant in Canton, Mississippi which has been plauged with quality problems from the start. It got so bad, they shipped 100 top engineers from Japan to Canton to see what is the problem. They said "it is b/c the workers wear jewelry".

Terrible business decision, as this was a huge opportunity for Infiniti to keep some new owners and instead the backlash has been huge. Also, Lexus has the much older and smaller LX, so this was a huge opportunity to steal Lexus sales. Nissan has stated the next generation QX and Quest will be built in Japan. It will be too late by then, as the next LX 570 will be out and expect NO LESS than a LS 460 type SUV.

Infiniti's quality is good but has dropped in recent years, no longer #2 behind Lexus. The G35 M35/45 and FX 35/45 are built in Japan. They are still in the top 10 in quality and I believe every product outside the QX has above average quality according to consumer reports.

Now you may ask yourself "isn't the Lexus RX built in Canada"? Yes, over 70,000 were built in Canada last year. However, Lexus went thought GREAT lengths to ensure you cannot tell the build difference between a JDM and a Canadian built RX. So the problem lies with MANAGEMENT, not the workers. The RX has continued to be best in class in quality.

Old 01-15-07, 02:47 PM
Milla...

Trust me I'm no authority, I've been corrected here many times on the same name spelling it with a y' at the end, and now I'm all extra sensitive to it thanks to this place hehe.

As to your question, what he said... see above post.
Old 01-15-07, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Armada is built in a new plant in Canton, Mississippi which has been plauged with quality problems from the start. It got so bad, they shipped 100 top engineers from Japan to Canton to see what is the problem. They said "it is b/c the workers wear jewelry".
Thanks for posting that, 1SICK. I was aware of the problems at the Canton plant, but didn't know about the rescue mission with the 100 engineers.

( Just be thankful Mr. Ghosn didn't send RENAULT engineers ).

Like you, I don't know what jewelry would have to do with it except that maybe cheap jewelry parts on things like bracelets, necklaces, rings, watches, etc.....work loose, fall off, and mess up machines and equipment, causing them to go out of production tolerances.

Infiniti's quality is good but has dropped in recent years, no longer #2 behind Lexus. The G35 M35/45 and FX 35/45 are built in Japan. They are still in the top 10 in quality and I believe every product outside the QX has above average quality according to consumer reports.
Yes. the G, M, and FX models are all quite well-built. Their interiors, especially, have improved markedly in the last couple of years, and in overall quality they are now pretty much the equal of many Lexus products, except in the slickness of their paint jobs............NOBODY paints a car like Lexus, though, if you have kept up with my reviews, a number of vehicles come close.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-15-07 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-15-07, 04:13 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally love the way Lexus painted my LX470 smokey topaz....they used paint that fades!
Old 01-15-07, 04:36 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

No Japanese company paints a car like Lexus. Audi, Porsche, and MB all have superior paint jobs in terms of overall quality, hardness, thickness, lack of orange peel, etc. (that's ignoring MB's ceramiclear paint which is of course pretty much the best on the market).
Old 01-15-07, 04:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by picus
No Japanese company paints a car like Lexus. Audi, Porsche, and MB all have superior paint jobs in terms of overall quality, hardness, thickness, lack of orange peel, etc. (that's ignoring MB's ceramiclear paint which is of course pretty much the best on the market).
Germans do have very good paint. I was looking at a Audi A8 Friday and the paint was just incredible.

Old 01-15-07, 04:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
Guess it is just the different opinion of different eyes. I agree with you guys that the premium German cars do paint very well. But for smoothness and gloss combined, and for an overall superb paint job, to my eyes, Lexus does it best....and Lexus does not charge extra for metallics and certain colors like the Germans do, which IMO is a rip-off. Mercedes has even forced that policy on Dodge and Chrysler.

Now...specifically among the German brands, IMO, Porsche does paint the smoothest, and Audi has the best gloss ( agree with you there, 1SICK ). Mercedes paint, like many of the other things on its vehicles, seems to have deteriorated in recent years, but is still above average....about on a par with BMW's.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-15-07 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-15-07, 04:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Guess it is just the different opinion of different eyes. I agree with you guys that the premium German cars do paint very well. But for smoothness and gloss combined, to my eyes, Lexus does it best....and Lexus does not charge extra for metallics and certain colors like the Germans do, which IMO is a rip-off. Mercedes has even forced that policy on Dodge and Chrysler.
I agree, paying extra for paint that is standard in many companies is laughable and well, they are laughing all the way to the bank!

Old 01-15-07, 07:29 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Guess it is just the different opinion of different eyes. I agree with you guys that the premium German cars do paint very well. But for smoothness and gloss combined, and for an overall superb paint job, to my eyes, Lexus does it best....and Lexus does not charge extra for metallics and certain colors like the Germans do, which IMO is a rip-off. Mercedes has even forced that policy on Dodge and Chrysler.

Now...specifically among the German brands, IMO, Porsche does paint the smoothest, and Audi has the best gloss ( agree with you there, 1SICK ). Mercedes paint, like many of the other things on its vehicles, seems to have deteriorated in recent years, but is still above average....about on a par with BMW's.
We're taking into account different factors when judging paint quality, which is why we're coming to different conclusions. My job is playing with paint, so for me, aside from depth, gloss, metallic flake, pearl coats, etc, the issues of hardness, thickness, ability to correct and match and most importantly, durability are the primary concerns. If I was judging just based on looks Lexus would be in the top 3 definitely. Their pearl metallics are particularly impressive.

The downfall of Lexus paint is that it is simultaneously soft and thin. While the orange peel is low, and there is a good distribution of metallic flake and good gloss, the actual process itself causes the paint to be on the soft side of average. It marrs to easily and picks up stone chips quickly. When I see a Lexus that has not been washed properly for a few years it is always in much worse shape than a similarly treated Audi or Mercedes. This is the same reason BMW paint is below average, added to the fact that BMW's have a downright stupid amount of orange peel.

The reason Audi has the best standard paint in the industry is that they have incredibly hard and durable paint which is generally a few microns thicker than most, combined with the general lack of orange peel and good gloss. Standard Mercedes paint is ok, but the ceramiclear is outstanding. Of course you get what you pay for in that case. Cheers.

(oh, and to bring this back on topic, Infiniti has some of the worst paint in the industry!)
Old 01-15-07, 08:01 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Milla...
Please forgive me, and I'm not trying to be a jerk about this either. But...

Infiniti's
Wouldn't the plural of Infiniti be Infinitis? I always thought Infiniti's with the apostrophe is the possessive form.

For example:
All Infinitis (plural) are fast since it is Infiniti's (possessive) policy to put big engines in their cars.
Old 01-15-07, 09:52 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the Lexus look(if this is close) better:

Old 01-16-07, 07:17 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Wouldn't the plural of Infiniti be Infinitis? I always thought Infiniti's with the apostrophe is the possessive form.

For example:
All Infinitis (plural) are fast since it is Infiniti's (possessive) policy to put big engines in their cars.
To be honest I think it may be one of each according to context of his sentence.

(oh, and to bring this back on topic, Infiniti has some of the worst paint in the industry!)

I would have thought that GM was the worst, have you seen their silver, particularly the SUV's? In direct sun light you can see the lack of consistency in the color, it goes light to dark, light to dark as though they only put on a single coat of paint.

Quick Reply: 2008 Infiniti QX56