Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How does the "F" series compete with the "M"

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-07, 07:01 AM
hashs99
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the "F" series compete with the "M"

If the 0 - 60 is in the same neighborhood as the 335i?? I think Lexus is headed in the right direction, however now the "M" will certainly have more power. No need to flame, just my view on things. What do you think?
Old 01-10-07, 07:04 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I can't make any statements either way until the cars have actually been released, but since this is a lexus, I doubt that it'll compete with the M car's handling either.
Old 01-10-07, 07:09 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

I am less concerned with lexus getting faster, I want them to learn how to make a car that can handle like the BMW
Old 01-10-07, 07:12 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hashs99
If the 0 - 60 is in the same neighborhood as the 335i?? I think Lexus is headed in the right direction, however now the "M" will certainly have more power. No need to flame, just my view on things. What do you think?
Remember, the IS-F will go from 0-60 in less than 4.9 seconds. Given it's powerful engine (>400 HP), relatively low weight (under 3700 lbs), and hopefully aggressive gearing from it's 8-speed auto (including strong final drive), the IS-F should hit 4.5 seconds easily and could well be below that too (if Lexus keeps being aggressive with this model). Therefore, it will easily compete with the new M3/4 when it comes out in terms of acceleration and braking (given impressive specs on it's brakes).

However, M-cars have always been more than just stop-and-go...they are very good handlers and are driver's cars. This is where Lexus has been lagging. The new IS-F has a huge freaking engine in the front (kinda remind you of Mercedes AMG cars), which does bad things to handling (understeer), among other things. Of course, Lexus could have made the nose lighter via amazing engine diet, suspension tuning, and use of aluminum/magnesium fenders/hood/etc.. However, in the Lexus autoshow video, there is no mention of weight saving materials use in the front. And, unfortunately, unless Lexus has a major breakthrough, a 5.0L V8 is still a 5.0L V8 in terms of weight. Lexus did mention special suspension tuning, but i don't think that this is enough to lighten the front.

Also, Lexus has left off an important track device known as limited-slip differential in it's specs...which only means that IS-F is more of an AMG-type competitor than a BMW M competitor.

IMHO, it looks like the IS-F will compete more with the Audi S and Mercedes AMG divisions, more than BMW M-cars. I would envision that Lexus will be going after AMG with future variants of F-style in their other models (GS-F, LS-F, etc.). Historically, this makes sense because Lexus has always been more Mercedes competitor than BMW.

Last edited by tigmd99; 01-10-07 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-10-07, 07:22 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tigmd99
relatively low weight (under 3700 lbs)
Shame on you. You should know better than to call a 3700 lb compact car "light"

You're right, in that all that weight over the front wheels will only hurt handling, and on a car that already doesn't handle well.
Old 01-10-07, 08:08 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

How does it compare? who knows? We can't say jack isshhh until there are cars to test. All this talk of how it will handle and how the weight will effect the car is just malarkey, because we're basing these comparisons on opinions and personal views of cars that are available now.

But for the sake of "car talk" I will say that everyone will flock to the M moniker vehicles, mainly because of the brand image.
Old 01-10-07, 08:18 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

In the IS-F Lexus press release, the GM stated the IS-F is not designed to compete with other performance sedans. So I suspect the is there way of preparing people when it is actually released.

One of the things that will hurt the car is the wheel wells. They had custom (narrow) 19" wheels made. The tires do not looky beefy at all for a car with 400HP.

Also, the IS-F is the entry level F series. They need to leave room for the higher end models that will be released.
Old 01-10-07, 08:28 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Competitive with speed and quality luxury and pricing.

Will NOT be competitive with performance and handling and, of course, manual transmission enjoyment...
Old 01-10-07, 08:49 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ff_
Shame on you. You should know better than to call a 3700 lb compact car "light"

You're right, in that all that weight over the front wheels will only hurt handling, and on a car that already doesn't handle well.
The IS350 does not handle well?? The worlds best handling sedan may have a slight edge over the IS but the IS doesn't handle well?? LOL. What sedan can come closer to the BMW? Some say Infiniti, but I say no way!
Old 01-10-07, 08:52 AM
my_shaldan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Competitive with speed and quality luxury and pricing.

Will NOT be competitive with performance and handling and, of course, manual transmission enjoyment...

im sorry but i don't agree with that.

if that is the case, what's the purpose of having the F division? it should have better handling equal or better than the M3.

originally, the IS(altezza) was purely built for the intention to compete with the 3 series, but ever since it was released, it has been miles away from being even considered a contender. heck, even the G35 is the closest competitor of the 3 not the IS.
Old 01-10-07, 09:05 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The earliest this should even begin being discussed is once the magazines get their hands on some pre-production test models... if not for when they go up for sale to the general public.

My personal prediction is that Lexus will certainly try but will not be able to match BMW's expertise for driving dynamics. The selling point of the IS-F will likely be that it will have similar performance to the M3 on paper, will cost a bit less (hopefully), ride a little more comfortably, and have better predicted reliability (hopefully).
Old 01-10-07, 09:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i agree, talking about comparisons now is way too pre-mature and doesn't make sense. to be honest we know nothing except what's on paper and what's on picture. unless the car is in the hands of reviewers, no one will know how it performs on roads and tracks. comparing just the power and 0-60 is far from enough
Old 01-10-07, 09:26 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Will NOT be competitive with performance and handling and
What are you basing this on?

Past Lexus cars? Maybe that is a good way of drawing conclusions on a car that has not been driven by anyone yet. Perhaps not.

One thing to keep in mind is that the whole concept of the F-division is to break rules in the performance sector. That is what Lexus set out to do.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt that they have done their homework and will not dissappoint driving enthusiasts.

Everything else is just speculative at this point.
Old 01-10-07, 09:27 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we all hope lexus can somewhat keep up with bmw, but in the end, i highly doubt it. the M3 will probably beat out the IS-F in all performance categories. after all, this is the first F-series model while the //M has been out for a while. not to say that the IS-F won't have great performance numbers, handling, etc., it's just that the M3 will be better.

nevertheless, i'd probably rather have an IS-F rather than an M3 just because of preference. i think lexus beats out bmw in ALL luxury aspects and its easier to add aftermarket performance than it is to add aftermarket luxury.
Old 01-10-07, 09:54 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by jsquared
we all hope lexus can somewhat keep up with bmw, but in the end, i highly doubt it. the M3 will probably beat out the IS-F in all performance categories. after all, this is the first F-series model while the //M has been out for a while. not to say that the IS-F won't have great performance numbers, handling, etc., it's just that the M3 will be better.
Agreed.

BMW have a lot of experience behind them and I will be pleasantly surprised if Lexus matches them with their first try.

Hopefully it will be very close to an M3 in the driving dynamics department. After all driving dynamics is a science and not some black magic. Surely Lexus has the engineering resources to come up with a car that has excellent driving dynamics.

Quick Reply: How does the "F" series compete with the "M"