Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Washington, DC Finally gets a Class A Auto Show.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Washington, DC Finally gets a Class A Auto Show.

Well, it's about time..............

Those of you who didn't make the big Detroit show this year, come on down here to the D.C. Show Jan.24-28.
After being a Class B show for years, we are finally getting a show we deserve, being the second-largest new-car market in the country, after Southern California.

Here's an excerpt from Warren Brown's weekly car talk forum. ( I know Warren but am not close friends with him )...he does car write-ups for the Washington Post ). He, as usual, made the Detroit show this year, and here is his upcoming report for the D.C. show;

T.G.I.F.: Warren, good morning. I'm very much looking forward to the auto coming to town later this month. What would you say you're most looking forward to at the show. Also, any "can't miss" exhibits you could recommend for us? Thanks and have a great weekend.

Warren Brown: TGIF backatcha:
Here's the deal: You are getting it here first on The Washington Post's "Real Wheels" chatline:
I have confirmed from the best automotive industry sources that the Washington Auto Show will get 30--count 'em, 30!--concept and production models shipped directly from the North American International Auto Show in Detroit to D.C.
"The moment the Detroit show closes on Sunday (Jan. 21), we will put 30 of those models on trucks and express ship them to D.C.," one highly placed source said.
Exactly what those models will be, I don't know. But this marks the first time in the history of the D.C. show that the global industry has taken us seriously enough to send the good stuff to us before it goes on tour in Europe, Asia and New York. That's progress.
I suspect that the plug-in electric Chevrolet Volt WILL be shown in D.C. And if the people from Mercedes-Benz have any sense, they will ship us that copy of the neat Smart ForTwo city car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-12-07 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-12-07, 09:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

It's about time.

When I used to live up there I remember going down to old convention center to see the vehicles (had them on 2 levels) and always boring.

This improvement is definitely needed and should be expected in our nation's capital city.