Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKSTORY**Why I will never park next to someone again**

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-07, 10:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Sorry to hear about this Mike.

I think you should have demanded they repair the damage and get their insurance info (i.e., treated it like a traffic accident - although of course this was no accident). Either that or hit them up for some money. Or call the police.

Ignorant slobs like that shouldn't get away with this.

I dinged a car door a year or so ago (it was someone's Camry too by the way) and the owner was sitting in the car and he immediately got out and (politely) demanded that I pay to have it fixed. I was a bit surprised, but I could see the scrape, knew I'd done it (it was definitely an accident though, I'm usually very careful, but my door just went past the first hinge 'stop' and went further and hit his door), and I paid up his $300 estimate.
Old 01-14-07, 10:21 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

damn, 300 is a LOT more than what a spot blend+paint normally is, i think last est i got for some bumper scrapes (on my old LS) was like $150-175 from a decent bodyshop.
Old 01-14-07, 10:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
damn, 300 is a LOT more than what a spot blend+paint normally is, i think last est i got for some bumper scrapes (on my old LS) was like $150-175 from a decent bodyshop.
His estimate claimed he needed the whole door repainted and of course pinstripe. Maybe he does this for a 'living'.
Old 01-14-07, 11:26 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy when I drive my car and we park an extra 20-30ft away from the nearest stall.

You guys are as crazy as me!
Old 01-15-07, 12:00 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we need pics...of your lady friend
Old 01-15-07, 12:06 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

That sucks. Maybe one day these people will have a decent car and some brain dead person does same to them.
Old 01-15-07, 12:11 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Damn Mike thats sucks. I would of kicked thier car just once or twice,lol. Yeah, if I ever witness anyone doing this to my RX-7 after I finish it, I know I will flip the ****** out. My friend had a small ding, maybe as deep as a dime is think, no scrapes or anything. the estimate he got for it was $700, when he showed me the paper of the estimate I was like WTF. The shop he took it to was a high end shop, but still, $700, crazy.
Old 01-15-07, 01:03 AM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dam The same happened to me about a month ago; sitting in my car waiting for a friend I see this guy walking in parking lot and for sum wired reason I got this strange feeling sure enough guy walks over slowly opened his door ( im feeling better that the guy was opening it slowly) then about 2-3 inches from my car he just pushes it into my front fender (my car was painted about 4 months ago), takes the pain clear off, I get a estimate form my shop for 500$, because they have to now blend the hood front bumper drivers door and paint the fender. After all that the guy has the nerve to tell me " I thought I was going to give u a $100 Christmas present to get ur car buffed", his insurance is only giving me $302 For the repair and I have to pay for the rest some ppl just SUCK.
Old 01-15-07, 03:45 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Happened to me lately. Some a-hole in SUV hit my scion with his door and left a ding. I was kind of calm about it (the worse things get the calmer I get) and asked him what the hell he was doing. Instead of apologizing, he smirked at me and got into his car. As he closed his door my foot met one of his side panels leaving pretty large bend in it. The guy just sped off but it could have ended with a lot more drama. I have absolutely no patience for those sorts of things.

I simply don't see how you kept it cool after that lady hit your friend’s car like that. My car or not, there would have been drama.
Old 01-15-07, 06:27 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I make sure are park far away from the masses, take up two spaces, or park near the hadicap like this guy next my car.

Old 01-15-07, 06:43 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I don't have much of a choice where I live. On my street where I work, it is all parallel parking, and as much as I don't like it, my fenders get dinged. OK.

However, at the mall, I have some instances other than door dings where people like to key cars (especially that of a gringo). One time my cousin Carlos saw someone when we were at a restaurant at a mall. Went out and snuck up on the dude and rammed his head to the ground. My other cousins soon followed and all hell broke loose. This was pretty late at night, but the guy eventually had to cough up the $$$ he had or the security guard (friends of ours) were going to report the guy to the police. Turned out I just needed some buffing.

I have had friends in northern Virginia, Tyson's Corner especially, where they have been hit by other vehicles in the parking lot, leaving several hundred dollars worth of damage. How this happens, I have no clue.
Old 01-15-07, 06:47 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to flip out on an old man after I watched him drag his shopping cart across the front fender and mirror of my wife's caravan.

door dingers are one of my worst enemies.
Old 01-15-07, 07:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Sorry to hear about that, Mike.

Clean the area, take a bottle of SCRATCH-OUT liquid ( you can probably get it at Wal-mart ) and rub it on the dings and wipe off. Although, of course, it won't take out the dent itself, it will remove the paint discoloration and off-color blotches from the affected areas, as long as they aren't too deep or go all the way through the paint, and at least make it look a little better....hopefully that will cheer up your girl friend a little. Dent-Works and Dent-Wizard, if they operate in your area, are two companies that specialize in taking out small, parking-lot-related stuff like that....but, depending on the location of the dings, sometimes they have to drill through sheet metal and use plugs to cover it up.

Other scratch removers are available as well, but they cost more than SCRATCH-OUT and don't necessarily work any better.

If you can't get SCRATCH-OUT down there, PM me with your mailing name and address and I'll send you a bottle myself. ( I feel sorry for your girl friend's Camry ).

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-15-07 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-15-07, 07:31 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Damn , Deja vu . Note : NEVER EVER EVER park near a truck or an old car or cheap one , and always try to take the last spot(you know,where there is a curb next to it) so you can get near the curb and leave more room for stupid ppl .
Old 01-15-07, 08:28 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Dings make me sooooo upset, here's my story: I was picking up my father at work and was parked parallel (in NYC by the way), when some f-@$ing idiot stops next to me (cab driver), passenger opens the door right onto my car I'm thinking to myself, how stupid and careless can a person be. Needless to say, I didn't get out the car to argue or anything because I really would just prefer to avoid a confrontation being that people are killing people nowadays just for *****z and giggles. Anyways, heres to the door dingers

Quick Reply: 1SICKSTORY**Why I will never park next to someone again**