Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKSTORY**Why I will never park next to someone again**

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 03:05 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Maybe someone should make inch-thick pads that can be hung from our windows like tires from the sides of boats.
This is out already. I just saw a commercial for it the other day. I can't remember what they're called, but they hang from the windows and drape over the sides of the doors.
Old 01-15-07, 03:07 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the lazy bastards that just can't take the carts back to the cart return stalls. I hate these people, if you use the cart and take it to your car then return it, many times it's only a few spots away and they still leave it sitting there.

What about the people who use your truck lid or roof of your car as a table, i've seen groceries, car seats, briefcases, etc. put on cars next to their own cars.
Old 01-15-07, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
What about the people who use your truck lid or roof of your car as a table, i've seen groceries, car seats, briefcases, etc. put on cars next to their own cars.
Well, SCRUFFDOG, that puts you one step ahead of me. I have yet to see that, but thanks for the tip.....I'll watch for that.
Old 01-15-07, 03:46 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
It's the lazy bastards that just can't take the carts back to the cart return stalls. I hate these people, if you use the cart and take it to your car then return it, many times it's only a few spots away and they still leave it sitting there.

Well, do your license plate re-attachment, and place it on the hood next time instead of the windshield
Old 01-15-07, 04:55 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

I think I'll just print this thread and hand it out to the next person who disrespect's my car. Maybe if they read it they will realize what the f9897ck they are doing wrong. On a side note, if I'm in my car and some one bang's my sit................god bless
Old 01-15-07, 05:08 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, SCRUFFDOG, that puts you one step ahead of me. I have yet to see that, but thanks for the tip.....I'll watch for that.

yeah especially if you have a pickup with a tonneau cover, park at the mall and people will set anything on it instead of setting something on the ground next to their own car.
Old 01-15-07, 05:17 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Unbelievable Mike, Unbelievable.

My wife had someone nail her RX300 a couple of years ago (it was windy and the door got away from the lady). My wife puts our daughter in the car and then goes over and says "You hit my car". The girl says "So?". My wife proceeds to lose it at which point the guy the lady is with says "You drive a Lexus, you can afford to get it fixed".

The issue is that here in IL, parking lots are private property and even an accident won't result in a ticket. She got the plates and contacted the police and they informed her there is nothing they can do. AGHGHGHHGHG.

The best part of your story is that the person probably will be more careful in the future.

Of note, cars that take up two spots get keyed.
Old 01-15-07, 06:07 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just had another thought... I almost forgot this:

I always inspect my car before I get into it. If you didn't know me and saw me
circling my car before getting into it, this might strike you as a little odd.

If a car is parked next to me that wasn't there before (especially an SUV)
I pay particular attention to the vertical door surfaces, checking for dings.
If you park your SUV too close to me, even if you didn't ding me,
you are rewarded with a passenger side exterior mirror fold-in. Most of these
dufuses probably don't even realize their mirror is folded back for several blocks.

If you DO manage to ding me, you are rewarded with a free valve core adjustment.
Removing the valve core entirely is too noisy. A subtle 1/4 turn will allow the
once confined air molecules their freedom, and a flat tire in a matter of about
30 minutes. Inconvenient? Sure... but I am STUCK with a door ding, you can
change the tire and be on your merry way. I'm a classy guy; I'd prefer not
to inflict permanent damage.

If you get away unpunished... well.... karma can be a b!+cH
Old 01-15-07, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Just had another thought... I almost forgot this:

I always inspect my car before I get into it. If you didn't know me and saw me
circling my car before getting into it, this might strike you as a little odd.

If a car is parked next to me that wasn't there before (especially an SUV)
I pay particular attention to the vertical door surfaces, checking for dings.
Yes, I got into that habit too...years ago.

If you DO manage to ding me, you are rewarded with a free valve core adjustment.
Removing the valve core entirely is too noisy. A subtle 1/4 turn will allow the
once confined air molecules their freedom, and a flat tire in a matter of about
30 minutes.
That may not work (?) with the new tire-pressure-monitoring valve stems. They appear to be metallic and attached solidly to the wheel underneath.
Old 01-15-07, 08:22 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In fact...it looks like Target and Wal-Mart may have given up, and are now puttting cart-collection sites in the middle of the lot.
Even with cart collection in the middle most of the people especially at Wal Mart will not put the carts 15 feet to one of those areas. I have noticed in Delaware and Alabama that there is just a sea of shopping carts all througout the parking lot but looking at most of the people who shop there I am not surprised they are too lazy and don't care about putting the carts back. I stopped going to Wal Mart after seeing 3 cars get hit by carts in one night and people not caring to put the cart 10 feet in the cart holder. I'll pay a little more to get away from those people and shop at nicer places. I don't think half the people can read or understand English who shop at Wal Mart because I notice English is rarely spoken when inside the store.
Old 01-15-07, 10:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Some serious rage in this thread.

There's only two kinds of car doors. Those that have dings and those that are going to have a ding or two at some point.

If you don't want dings, don't drive your 'baby' to any parking lot. Drive something else or get a ride.

For most people a vehicle just gets them around. They won't lose sleep if they get a door ding so they don't think much if you get one from them.

It's inconsiderate, yes, but driving your nice car into a Wal*Mart parking lot on Saturday is asking for trouble.
Old 01-15-07, 10:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Some serious rage in this thread.

There's only two kinds of car doors. Those that have dings and those that are going to have a ding or two at some point.

If you don't want dings, don't drive your 'baby' to any parking lot. Drive something else or get a ride.

For most people a vehicle just gets them around. They won't lose sleep if they get a door ding so they don't think much if you get one from them.

It's inconsiderate, yes, but driving your nice car into a Wal*Mart parking lot on Saturday is asking for trouble.
I have to disagree here. If we as adults, as humans are at a point where those that WANT to drive can't even PARK, we have an issue. Those that seemingly do not care about others property should be punished.

My goodness, the law or government should not have to jump in. People should have the RESPECT and common courtesy to respect ones property.

Would u rip someones shirt? Would u do doughnuts in someone's front yard? Would u knock down a mailbox?

This is what America's issue is sometimes. People have this "I don't care" attitude towards others.

We are supposed to SHARE the road and my goodness, we have white lines telling you where your "space" ends.

And people are just NOT CARING and guess what, their KIDS do not care either.

Again, its not about the car you drive or own. When I had a 1989 Nissan Sentra with a bent door, I still was respectful to other cars.

It should not matter if you own a Nissan, a Lexus or a Ferrari.

Old 01-16-07, 01:42 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
People should have the RESPECT and common courtesy to respect ones property.
I agree with you Mike but the key here is "should". What actually happens is a different matter. The only person you can really control is yourself. The rest you just have to live with.

In reality, I agree with Paul. You need to "protect" yourself from the rest of the world. Drive an appropriate vehicle to the appropriate place. If you cannot do that or do not have the luxury of time and/or money to do so, it is a risk you have to take.

It is like driving. You can be in the best car in terms of power and handling and you can be the most skilled driver possible, but it is still all about defensive driving. You just drive while watching out for lesser skilled driver or worse, a lesser skilled driver who overestimates his driving skills and his car's abilities.
Old 01-16-07, 06:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Great posts...

Mike - I definitely agree people SHOULD respect others' property. Don't want to turn this into a political thread but when the government takes half our money, wastes a load of it, and even spends some to provide benefits for people here ILLEGALLY, where's the respect for its own CITIZENS? And our 'must have it all' culture and resulting stressful lives for many, particularly in busy cities like Atlanta means cracks are inevitable, and a door ding from someone racing to get a present after overtime from work before picking up someone, going to the gym to then rush home and make dinner before going out to meet someone before rushing home to watch American Idol, before doing some school class work, before getting the 3 hours of sleep before doing it all over again... a door ding? Pretty low on the priority!
Old 01-16-07, 06:55 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why is it so hard to control your own door when opening it. if you are skilled enough to drive a car, you should be able to open your door with enough finesse as to not bash the car next to you.

people who don't give a crap about the car next to them & just push their door open and let it fly drive me nuts.

btw-Bit did you get a miata?

Last edited by chuckb; 01-16-07 at 06:59 AM.

Quick Reply: 1SICKSTORY**Why I will never park next to someone again**