Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Current Audi A8= Design Perfection

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 08:49 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The A8 is my favorite of the large luxury sedan class. It is ashame it does not sell well in the U.S. because it is really a nice car. I really like the light colored maple wood interior.
Old 01-15-07, 08:51 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The A8 is my favorite of the large luxury sedan class. It is ashame it does not sell well in the U.S. because it is really a nice car. I really like the light colored maple wood interior.
THat's my favorite too with the blond maple wood trim, I sat in one & it feels awesome inside
Old 01-15-07, 10:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Always love threads about the A8/S8. My favorite looking large sedan. It's just awesome. The new LS, while a big stride forward, still does not come close.
Old 01-15-07, 10:41 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck
Check out this video, although its a bit of an old video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVNLV_WkO68&eurl=
Did anyone watch this video?
Old 01-15-07, 11:08 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Did anyone watch this video?
pretty decent overview of the cars
S class really gives it presence on the road but i would love to drive the A8 6.0L W12

S class has such a comfy suspension
how does Audi's air suspension compares to Mercedes' airmatic?
Old 01-16-07, 03:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
THat's my favorite too with the blond maple wood trim, I sat in one & it feels awesome inside
That light wood color is unusual on German cars.........it is more typically found on Volvos. On Volvos it is called Birch Wood.

I agree the new A8 is a beautiful car, but IMO it would be a lot MORE beautiful if they would make the grille about half the size it actually is. These new Audi grilles, along with the MMI control, IMO, were both mistakes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-16-07 at 03:43 AM.
Old 01-16-07, 09:51 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That light wood color is unusual on German cars.........it is more typically found on Volvos. On Volvos it is called Birch Wood.

I agree the new A8 is a beautiful car, but IMO it would be a lot MORE beautiful if they would make the grille about half the size it actually is. These new Audi grilles, along with the MMI control, IMO, were both mistakes.

I happen to like the new grilles and the MMI interface. The voice command system also works well with the MMI interface. But everyone has their own opinion. Have you tried the MMI system?
Old 01-16-07, 09:53 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UberNoob
pretty decent overview of the cars
S class really gives it presence on the road but i would love to drive the A8 6.0L W12

S class has such a comfy suspension
how does Audi's air suspension compares to Mercedes' airmatic?
The MB's airmatic suspension is a little bit too soft in my opinion no matter what setting it's in. The Audi's air suspension is just right, although in sport mode it can make things pretty rough. I usually just leave it in auto.
Old 01-16-07, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I happen to like the new grilles and the MMI interface. The voice command system also works well with the MMI interface. But everyone has their own opinion. Have you tried the MMI system?
Yes...it was just not my cup of tea.
Here's my review of the MMI-equipped A3:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...review+audi+a3

Like I respect genearch's positive opinion of BMW I-Drive , I likewise respect your positive opinion of the MMI....but devices like that just aren't my idea of simple, foolproof driving.
Old 01-16-07, 10:33 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like all the current Audi sedans, they look aggressive.
Old 01-16-07, 02:29 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

With apologies to 1Sick, I do not find the A8 to be design perfection, but then maybe no car will ever earn that from me. But shopping the S class, 7, XJ, and the LS, the A8 is my emotional favorite. The grill is not the best done but the funny thing is, you don't really notice it that much unless you get back from the car. Sort of like the Ford Focus Fender Flare Bulges on the S class, they are a lot more prominent in pictures than they are on most of the colors in person. AWD is great but gives a heavier steering feel than a pure RWD and the additional mechanism always robs power, and efficiency. Audi may do it better or as well as anyone but just a fact of life. I still put the 7 in the top driving spot although the S is getting a closer look from me. At least the residuals make the hit to the checkbook a bit easier to take. But if you were to ask me which of all these models I think about the most, it is the A8. At least what you can determine with an exhaustive twenty or thirty minutes behind the wheel, they are very impressive. Not perfect, but very competitive.
Old 01-16-07, 07:10 PM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

Im starting to like Audi's now but theres something about the headlamps that make me go because they all look similar to VW's . But I like the new grilles. I would get an S class before a LS and A8 simply because of the presense that car has though.
Old 01-16-07, 09:08 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS Kid 300
Im starting to like Audi's now but theres something about the headlamps that make me go because they all look similar to VW's . But I like the new grilles. I would get an S class before a LS and A8 simply because of the presense that car has though.
You're smart Kid. I'm with you all the way. But that Audi is still sexy even though its so vanilla. But I'd have to take that LS over the S.
Old 01-17-07, 08:14 AM
Milla...

I absolutely love my A8 MMI and all and even though it doesn't have, slap you in the face features like hippo wheel arches and back pack looking trunks or other design cues that heavily resembles BMW or MBZ, its design strongly appeals to me. In my neck of the woods all I see day in and day out are S class and 7's not as many A8's. I can actully go straight to my car at the Beverly Center. Have you seen their parking garage? Don't have any sort of BMW, MBZ, or Porsche you'd have to put a flag on it with your name in order to figure out which one is yours.
Old 01-17-07, 11:06 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The audi A8/S8 looks great!!
I'd never buy one though........

Quick Reply: Current Audi A8= Design Perfection