Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are You Driving Tomorrow's Collector Car ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 12:35 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What do you mean, NEVER be repeated? It's being repeated, at least to an extent, RIGHT NOW.

Look at all the resurrected and retro 60's V8 (or V10) musclecars we STILL have today...and some new names as well.

Pontiac GTO
Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Ford Mustang GT, Cobra
Ford GT
Dodge Charger R/T, SRT-8
Dodge Magnum R/T, SRT-8
Dodge Challenger R/T( upcoming )
Dodge Viper SRT-10
Chevy Corvette coupe and convertible, Z06
Chevy Camaro coupe and convertible ( upcoming )
Chevy Impala SS
Chrysler 300C SRT-8

And, while a few of these are front-drive V8's, the majority are traditional front-engine V8 / rear-drive American muscle.

TODAY is the best market we have seen for these cars in almost the last 40 years,

What I mean is that the entire state of the world will never occur again. The American people were never more in love with the Automobile than they were between 1950-1975. Note the demise of "auto" related businesses: The Drive-In movie, the car-hop, the roadside diner. People, for the most part, don't think of their car as anything more than what they use to get to and from work.

Yes, there is a resurgence of interest in the aftermarket and customization, but the ideals in place during the musclecar era are what prevent the same from happeing now. Then you could go to your local dealer and drive a COPO or Yenko Camaro off the floor, for what was a decent amount of money then, but still cheaper than buying say a Cadillac. Today Ford produces a limited amount of Mustangs for Hertz. The one that is auctioned goes for $200k+!!

Now everyone sees the value of a collectible automobile. Hense the "Creation of a collectible". And therein lies the "AHA!" The musclecars of the 60's and 70's were never created to be anything more than an automobile. Damn fast ones, but just automobiles. Todays GTO's, and Ford Shelby's are created to be the next hot collectible. That in itself prevents it from ever truly being a collectible.
Old 01-16-07, 12:37 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I am way to young to know much about current collector cars, and how they performed and marketed when they were new in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. But I see that many have a problem with these cars above because most are massed produced vehicles. Werent cars like the '56 '57 Chevy your regular run of the mill vehicle?? Mid 60's Mustangs, Camaro's?? Beetles are considered collector cars, and way over a million of those cars were produced as well. Im thinking that some of these massed produced cars can become collectibles, if they are unique in some way.

Like many others, I believe that some of these cars wont be highly sought after, but I think I understand why Hagerty chose these particular cars. I could poosibly make a case for some of these cars on that list.

Im also thinking that the reason they made this list is to show that there are cars out there other than lower production Corvettes, Mustangs, Miatas, etc (the usual suspects) that might possibly be considered a collectible.

But of course lists like these should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Itsa not like they are holding a crystal ball and can see what the future holds.

Last edited by GFerg; 01-16-07 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-16-07, 02:07 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used too drive the Smart Fortwo, two years ago, got rid of it because of a ****ty transmission. I had a feeling it would be a collectors car.
Old 01-16-07, 09:04 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

MB CLK Cab(W208).......trust me on this guys. And yeah the Bentley Arnage should have made that list.
Old 01-16-07, 11:50 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

That list makes no sense to me. A car as common as the 300C will be a future collector car? Will this actually happen in my lifetime? I doubt it.

The NSX, Viper and Elise/Exige are the only plausible choices on the above list.

I'll add these to the "hot list":

Buick Regal Grand National/GNX
Chevrolet Callaway Corvette
Chevrolet ZR-1 Corvette
Chevrolet Grand Sport Corvette
Dodge Viper GTS (and ACR)

Acura NSX (Zanardi, 97+ coupe)
Toyota Supra TT (MKIV)
Mazda RX-7 (R1)

BMW M Coupe (S54)
BMW M3 (E30)
BMW M6 (E24)

I'm sure there are plenty of others, but you get the picture.

Last edited by pvmike1; 01-16-07 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-17-07, 11:48 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
I am way to young to know much about current collector cars, and how they performed and marketed when they were new in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. But I see that many have a problem with these cars above because most are massed produced vehicles. Werent cars like the '56 '57 Chevy your regular run of the mill vehicle?? Mid 60's Mustangs, Camaro's?? Beetles are considered collector cars, and way over a million of those cars were produced as well. Im thinking that some of these massed produced cars can become collectibles, if they are unique in some way.

Like many others, I believe that some of these cars wont be highly sought after, but I think I understand why Hagerty chose these particular cars. I could poosibly make a case for some of these cars on that list.

Im also thinking that the reason they made this list is to show that there are cars out there other than lower production Corvettes, Mustangs, Miatas, etc (the usual suspects) that might possibly be considered a collectible.

But of course lists like these should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Itsa not like they are holding a crystal ball and can see what the future holds.

You are correct in that cars like the tri-5's (55,56,57 Chevys) were mass produced. Cars produced then were thrown away as easily as a paper bag, or were literally driven into the ground. Now, today, few good condition examples exist. Cars like the Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, Mustang, etc were all mass-produced. And we can still get a decent example for $5k! Now, this means, non-numbers matching, needs some work kinds of examples. But the true "collector car" that Haggertys speaks of (and they do allude to the Barrett-Jackson auctions) are the ULTRA limited run models. 1971 Hemi 'Cuda Convertible????? 9 made! 1970 Hemi 'Cuda conv with shaker hood???? 5 made!!

These are the types of cars the media exploits to create the artificial image of a new collectors market. Just not gonna happen.

Sure, 20 years from now, some ultra-clean example of a 2006 Dodge Charger will sell at an auction for 4 times what it was purchased for but I see that as the exception to the rule.
Old 01-17-07, 01:42 PM
Milla...

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Sure, 20 years from now, some ultra-clean example of a 2006 Dodge Charger will sell at an auction for 4 times what it was purchased for but I see that as the exception to the rule.

Or an A-Spec Acura TL The world is funny that way.