Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas Price vs Price of Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 08:58 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I just filled up last night here in Atlanta at Chevron for $2.07 Premium 93 Octane - lowest I seen in a long time.. hope it keeps on going down..

Did you hear about the U.S. finding 50% more oil in the gulf of mexico which will contribute to lower prices - i doubt this is a result of it now but soon the prices would drop a bit more.
Old 02-01-07, 10:37 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I just filled up last night here in Atlanta at Chevron for $2.07 Premium 93 Octane - lowest I seen in a long time.. hope it keeps on going down..

Did you hear about the U.S. finding 50% more oil in the gulf of mexico which will contribute to lower prices - i doubt this is a result of it now but soon the prices would drop a bit more.
Count your blessings, unleaded premium here in Cali is pushing back up to around $2.80 a gallon. Oil has take almost a 20% in the last few weeks. I expect the way things are going that we will be over $3.50 a gallon here this summer.
Old 02-02-07, 07:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
That piece of legislation was repealed. It never worked. Even if it did work, it was introduced a few months before Katrina, so gas prices skyrocketed anyway. Public outcry was harsh since during that year we were paying an average of 20+ cents above the national average I believe. When prices in the mainland went down, it would takes weeks before it dropped here, and only by a few cents unlike the 10-15 cent drops on the mainland. I think we are just screwed here because of the lack of choice and competition. There is only one refinery here in which I believe all the gas companies get their supply from. Actually, I think there are two. BHP and Chevron, but they know they are the only game in town so they alway manage to have the same prices. There really is no competition between them.
Maybe your politicians there, who seem to have the same ideas about the market as Hugo Chavez, should go beg him to give them discount fuel.
Old 02-02-07, 09:18 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4

Unfortunately Mexico's largest oil field is now producing about 25% less oil than it was a year ago - so we are going to need that oil....
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...s3U&refer=news
Old 02-02-07, 01:31 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe the drop to sub $50 a barrel a few weeks ago was too much of a fall too fast but we are now at right around $59/bbl. All the usual disclaimers about this being the spot market yada yada yada, but having oil firm back up the first week of February is not a very cheery sign for gas prices this summer, with our without natural or manmade disasters. Cali certainly doesn't see the drops in gas price that other parts of the country do but we sure didn't see a proportionate dip with the oil price. Other areas of the country did. It's still pretty cheap entertainment but my interest in feeding four or five hundred hp in a daily driver is non existent. As to how much I truly want a "weekend" car, I really don't know. My GS is now coming up on six years old and the replacement is not going to be that far off but that means figuring out how sensitive I might be to putting $75 or $100 of gas in a single fillup in 2012. Ugh.
Old 02-02-07, 01:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RON430
Count your blessings, unleaded premium here in Cali is pushing back up to around $2.80 a gallon. Oil has take almost a 20% in the last few weeks. I expect the way things are going that we will be over $3.50 a gallon here this summer.
Nothing to do with blessings, has to do with hysterical policies and bad management in California. If the govt continues to demand special blends for gas, be highly regulated and business unfriendly and have high taxes on top, expect high prices! Don't like it? Vote the bums out!!!
Old 02-02-07, 02:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Nothing to do with blessings, has to do with hysterical policies and bad management in California. If Don't like it? Vote the bums out!!!
Yeah...like Gray Davis.
Old 02-02-07, 02:21 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Nothing to do with blessings, has to do with hysterical policies and bad management in California. If the govt continues to demand special blends for gas, be highly regulated and business unfriendly and have high taxes on top, expect high prices! Don't like it? Vote the bums out!!!
The scary part is other states adopting Cali standards. I feel no joy in spreading the pain.
Old 02-02-07, 06:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RON430
The scary part is other states adopting Cali standards. I feel no joy in spreading the pain.
Which ones? So I can stay away. Maybe MA and NY? No chance of me moving to those places either way.
Old 02-03-07, 02:09 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I am seriously considering the all-electric car as my daily driver. the "Tesla" goes 250 miles on one charge.. Considering how gas prices will never stabalize the cost of the "Tesla" is quite a deal at $90K considering it uses no gas at all and is as quick as a ferrarri.
Old 02-03-07, 02:24 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Which ones? So I can stay away. Maybe MA and NY? No chance of me moving to those places either way.
Don't have it in front of me but Cali was a part of a group of six states that had adopted the same standards for autos, I think they are in the northeast but am not sure. Arnie has ratcheted up the state requirements so I believe we are back out there firmly at the forefront of expensive gas price with the exception of Hawaii. Two points, one is that having lived here for over thirty years, I have to give a nod to the emissions standards in some respects, the air was miserable in the 70s. The second is that I am not sure our requirements for the gas are so onerous and you will probably see the rest of he country slowly adopt them. But the business climate in Cali is so miserable there isn't going to be any refineries built here in a long time. If the other states make our formulations, at least we can import it. This is depressing.