Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Who has the best lookers

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 06:11 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to go with:

1. Lexus (a solidly attractive lineup across the range, noticeable but not overdone design cues, and interiors that are as functional as they are attractive)
2. Acura (not an ugly car in the bunch, great paint jobs, and stock wheels that actually accentuate the cars' looks)
3. Porsche (the 911 and Boxster are raw automotive sexuality, but the Cayman and Cayenne are so-so)
4. Volvo (they were actually better about five years ago, but their entire line features distinctive, attractive design)

In the "overrated looks" category:
1. BMW (they look their line of classy, distinctive, sporty-looking vehicles a generation ago and turned it into a bumpy, discordant mess)
2. Audi (still a bunch of boredom-inspiring bubble-mobiles)
3. Infiniti (the old G had a distinctive look, like it or not, but it's not a look that translates well at all to a whole lineup of cars)
4. Mercedes (five years ago I would have put them on top of my list of best-looking model line-ups, but now all their cars look the same and do not scream luxury or success at all)
Old 01-18-07, 10:37 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
The only one that ages well is the LS but Toyota showed very little moxie by adding too many E65 touches.. straight out ripoff from the rear. IMHO, unless you are driving a latest generation Lexus, you are driving yesterdays news.
You are referring to the bangle butt right? I think they ripped off the E65 and made it look better. Looks are subjective after all.

However, remember this car from 1995 ?

Some might say that BMW ripped off the design of this car's rear end for the E65.
Old 01-19-07, 07:34 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
You are referring to the bangle butt right? I think they ripped off the E65 and made it look better. Looks are subjective after all.

However, remember this car from 1995 ?

Some might say that BMW ripped off the design of this car's rear end for the E65.
Wow..The rear end of that Chrysler looks quite similar to the rear end on the ugly duckling in the BMW line up.. The 6 series coupe.
Old 01-19-07, 07:37 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Wow..The rear end of that Chrysler looks quite similar to the rear end on the ugly duckling in the BMW line up.. The 6 series coupe.
And the Chrysler design dates back to 12 years ago......
Old 01-19-07, 10:18 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I assume we are not talking about exotics.

The company that still makes my head turn is MB.

I don't like every vehicle in any make but I do like a lot of the MBs. My MB garage would be SL for cruising, CLS for the family sedan, and the GL for lugging people/things.

Coming close behind would be Porsche and BMW.

Personal tastes are different but not all Lexus excite me. I love a modded 2GS. The new LS is sweet. The rest are very nice cars (and I'd never turn one down ) but they just don't give that little extra that the other brands do.
Old 01-19-07, 10:53 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by genearch
Let's see...

5. Lexus - No real family "identity" and they age terribly. I have a 2GS and quite honestly, I think it looks hideous compared to the 3GS. The GS3 is nice but reeks of Maxima. The only one that ages well is the LS but Toyota showed very little moxie by adding too many E65 touches.. straight out ripoff from the rear. IMHO, unless you are driving a latest generation Lexus, you are driving yesterdays news.

SUV
BMW on the E53/E70 and Rover with both RR's pretty much own this class. The Lexus & Toyotas look like rolling boxes (except the tired RX) .

I have to agree with you 100% on this one. Lexus age very badly IHO, one of the reason why I changed via lease my last 4 LS models willingly, well the last one was a little different but still. Honestly I think my LX looks like a dinasour, only reason I still have it is because its so comfy and it serves my purpose but then again I can get that out of a mini van. Regardless I've gotten quite attached to the old sour dough loaf (its what I call it).
Old 01-19-07, 12:31 PM
LexFather

I have to disagree Lexus ages poorly. If anything they age well. They have long model cycles and when they revise the cars, it is mainly very small items.

I still think even BEFORE L-finesse, Lexus styling was underrated, simply b/c people think Lexus they think LS/ES/RX.

As for BMW and innovation, what is innovative about taking the trunk off a 1999 Hyundai Sonata and calling it your own? The styling is all Ford New Edge styling but called "flame surfacing". What used to be near perfect proportions and good style has turned into weird lines, weird headlights, weird trunks and ungainly messes. Ford was doing it for ages. BMW just slapped the kidney grill and hoffmeister kink and it became "wow, amazing".

They are going to age poorly. Just look at the 745, which got refreshed, the newer model looks much better on the way to ugly, instead of very ugly.

Old 01-19-07, 12:32 PM
LexFather

The funny thing is styling is so subjective, it doesn't really matter. Most of the brands we have named are doing well, so the styling appeals to someone.

Old 01-19-07, 01:32 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have to disagree Lexus ages poorly. If anything they age well. They have long model cycles and when they revise the cars, it is mainly very small items.

I still think even BEFORE L-finesse, Lexus styling was underrated, simply b/c people think Lexus they think LS/ES/RX.

As for BMW and innovation, what is innovative about taking the trunk off a 1999 Hyundai Sonata and calling it your own? The styling is all Ford New Edge styling but called "flame surfacing". What used to be near perfect proportions and good style has turned into weird lines, weird headlights, weird trunks and ungainly messes. Ford was doing it for ages. BMW just slapped the kidney grill and hoffmeister kink and it became "wow, amazing".

They are going to age poorly. Just look at the 745, which got refreshed, the newer model looks much better on the way to ugly, instead of very ugly.
+1

I'm sorry but when you see an Old Lexus.. you know exactly that is.. Its a Lexus! Or maybe a Toyota, depending on how old the model is (geeze ES).

When you see an old BMW..
Oh wait.. they kinda just fizzle out after their warranty period, well the good ones anyway, but like the above poster said... when you see an old BMW, at first you say.. What the heck is that? Oh wait.. BMW. :P