Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Land Rover quality?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 08:33 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys will not believe what I saw tonight. Driving home from work, up the street I notice what I thought was fog rolling in. As I look to the side of the road, I see a car on fire. At first I thought it was some sort of van, but after getting closer, I figured out it was a Range Rover! Fire was from the engine bay and it was roaring! The fire department or police were not even at the scene yet. Maybe an electrical fire?

The pic isn't very good but from the outline of the car, you can easily see it is a Range Rover. You can also tell by the rear tail-light reflector. It was a newer Range Rover.

One more thing that I want to add was that there were combustions coming from underneath the hood during the fire that looked JUST like fireworks. What is under the hood that would cause a combustion like that?
Old 01-24-07, 08:37 PM
LexFather

^^^ damn, just damn...I was at my local Wednesday bar a few weeks ago, VW Tourag with hazards on in the middle of the road. Dude was PISSED!!!

Old 01-24-07, 08:38 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL
perfect picture and post to add to this thread
that pretty much sums up the quality problems Land Rovers has right now
Old 01-24-07, 11:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Even today, some of the Land Rover people don't acknowledge the quality problems that these vehicles have.
For instance, at the D.C. Auto Show today ( I didn't spend all day there because of foot problems...just 4 hours ) I was discussing some of this with the Land Rover reps on duty there. They either try to play dumb and pretend that they have not heard of it or try to fluff it off and blame it on inaccurate reporting. For instance, one rep, a particularly stuborn guy ( I think he was a salesman rather than a true corporate man ), kept insisting that the quality problems were all a thing of the long-ago past (1980's) and that J.D. Power and Consumer Reports are printing false answers to their surveys. He claims that his customers are telling him that they get these surveys, give high satisfaction ratings with their vehicles...and then turn around and watch them put Land Rover down at the bottom of the ratings. He also claimed that this reflected negatively on the record of the dealership despite a lot of satisfied customers.

I couldn't buy this stuff.............it sounded like a typical car-salesman B.S. to me.

Someone on CAR CHAT ( I can't remember who ) recently posted a story that Ford's bosses are fed up with poor Land Rover quality, and all the warranty work and expenses that go with it ( never mind the fact that Ford produces some pretty unreliable vehicles of their own, like the Expedition / Navigator and early Focuses ), and have set a deadline for Land Rover to start producing more reliable vehicles....or else.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-24-07 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-25-07, 06:44 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexizm
Sorry man but I think your listing is 'BS'!!! Granted Land Rover has always been bad as far as dependibility but since Ford has taken over, it's been even worse. Ford owns Jaguar and Jaguars have been catching a fire for years, and since Ford has taken over...down hill, they're just more affordable now. Cadilac is gabbage...not garbage...but gabbage and it's ranked high on the list. J.D. Power, imo are just like politicians. Give enough loot and they'll speak up in your behalf.

I wanted a Range Rover, but their track record is what deterred me and made me stay away.
The latest Jaguars, especially the XJ and S Type are among the most relaible on the road with the highest customer satisfaction ratings.
Old 01-25-07, 09:50 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Not mechanical/electrical related, but when I was behind a lady in a previous gen Range Rover fixing her make-up, the rear view mirror literally fell down
She swerved while trying to catch/fix it, but luckily I was behind her and no one was next to her

I'm sure we have members here who have land rovers.