Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What SUVs excel at both luxury and off-roading?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-07, 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by kpuri
'06 or newer QX56
Best blend of Luxury/Off Road/Power/Price
No, I disagree. The QX56 comes from a plant that is notorious for quality problems, has reliability down in Land Rover's area, and, unlike Land Rovers, doesn't provide either the comfort or the capability off-road that they do.The QX56 is a good people-mover ( when not in the shop ), and, like the Armada-Titan it is based on, can tow relatively heavy loads, but it is not considered one of the better off-roaders for its size.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-21-07 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-21-07, 11:07 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The soon-to-be-discontinued Mercedes G (Gelandewagen)-Wagon is superb off-road, with three electric-locking differentials, and the body, frame, and doors are like bank vaults ( I'm not kidding ) but, as a vehicle originally of German-Austrian military design, tends to have a stiff ride on dry pavement. But its durability is incredible, and being basically of the 1980's Mercedes generation, has NOT had the reliability problems that other recent M-B designs have.
Wha...?! When? Linky?
Old 01-21-07, 11:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
Wha...?! When? Linky?
You'll have to talk with the M-B people for details, but as I understand it, the days of the G-Wagen being sold in the U.S. are numbered. It is being replaced by the new G-Class SUV that is not derived from a military source like the old G-Wagen was. It is basically a slightly bigger brother to the M-Class.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-21-07 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-21-07, 12:20 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
I really like the RR and the GX and think both are wonderful contenders.

The GL ain't too bad either. I don't believe this particular GL in the video has the off-road package either, so that means no low range.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6J6usLRz8Q
I really like those new FJ's. I were in the market for that type (in-expensive, bare essentials, mountain goat) of an SUV it would probably be my first choice. Yes, the new GL does very well off-road and can seat 7 easily.
Old 01-21-07, 12:22 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, I disagree. The QX56 comes from a plant that is notorious for quality problems, has reliability down in Land Rover's area, and, unlike Land Rovers, doesn't provide either the comfort or the capability off-road that they do.The QX56 is a good people-mover ( when not in the shop ), and, like the Armada-Titan it is based on, can tow relatively heavy loads, but it is not considered one of the better off-roaders for its size.

mmarshall is right on the money, QX=POS.
Old 01-21-07, 01:04 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate suv's and don't know much about them. I never read write-ups and have only driven one maybe twice as rentals. Even I know which bes fits the criteria of off-roading ability with luxury...the Range Rover baby. I've been inside for a look and that thing is very luxurious. I hear it rides like a luxury car and can take any terrain. Only bad thing I heard is poor reliability...along the lines of the german cars.
Old 01-21-07, 01:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by genearch
Not BMW

They are well above the industry average in three year reliability and initial reliability. The other two are nowhere near the Rover's poor reliability...
KOOL AID, GET YOUR FRESH KOOL AID!!!
Next thing, you will tell us BMW invented the Toyota production method

Old 01-21-07, 02:34 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
KOOL AID, GET YOUR FRESH KOOL AID!!!
Next thing, you will tell us BMW invented the Toyota production method
Actually Ford laid the groundwork for Toyota's productions methods...
Old 01-21-07, 02:49 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Yup the GX is it... reliable,capable off roader but boring as well.... feels like it will tip over in turns on the road...

And don't get me started on that stupid back door...
What real SUV does feel real stable like a car in the turns??? Answer - none.
And I took a test ride in all of them before going with the GX.

And the rear barn door comes in very handy. I don't have to lower a large door with over assisted springs holding it up. Just close it like any of the other 4 doors. Now when they redesign the GX and it has a powered liftgate, then that would probably change my mind. But then I would have to stand there and wait for the thing to open and then close on its own. You can't win.
Old 01-21-07, 03:18 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^I don't like the direction the tail gate swings. That's just about my only complaint about the GX.
Old 01-21-07, 03:31 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
What real SUV does feel real stable like a car in the turns??? Answer - none.
And I took a test ride in all of them before going with the GX.

And the rear barn door comes in very handy. I don't have to lower a large door with over assisted springs holding it up. Just close it like any of the other 4 doors. Now when they redesign the GX and it has a powered liftgate, then that would probably change my mind. But then I would have to stand there and wait for the thing to open and then close on its own. You can't win.
Apparently you've never driven a BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, MB ML, Infiniti FX, LR Range Rover Sport, or Audi Q7. Because all of those SUVs do feel as stable as a car in the turns. I can list others but I don't feel like it.

Take a look at these videos to find some SUV's that don't feel like your going to wear them as a hat when you take a corner at a moderate amount of speed:

MB ML: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2khQtpaHMdQ

Porsche Cayenne:

1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_2a5zTI2LI
2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CySTh...elated&search=

Range Rover Sport:

1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Yrk...elated&search=
2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF2Ys...elated&search=

There are others but I don't feel like finding, posting, and linking any more videos.

Last edited by mavericck; 01-21-07 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-21-07, 03:33 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As far as the question posed in this thread is concerned, I would have to say the Range Rover excels when it comes to luxury and off-roading
Old 01-21-07, 03:38 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by mavericck
Apparently you've never driven a BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, MB ML, Infiniti FX, LR Range Rover Sport, or Audi Q7. Because all of those SUVs do feel as stable as a car in the turns. I can list others but I don't feel like it.
TO a certain extent and it is an impressive feet. However, it still is illogical, it is like someone participating in the decathlon at the Olympics with HIGH HEELS.

Old 01-21-07, 03:43 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

TO a certain extent and it is an impressive feet. However, it still is illogical, it is like someone participating in the decathlon at the Olympics with HIGH HEELS.

Did you watch those videos I posted in that post after I edited it? I just added some videos that kind of verify my point. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=30
Old 01-21-07, 03:48 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not true at all..BMW X series handles like their sedan counterparts. Flat cornering that will suprise many. Try taking a GMC Envoy, Ford Explorer, Lexus Rx350 at 80 mph in a corner to compare and get back to us (if you can)

Quick Reply: What SUVs excel at both luxury and off-roading?