Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NHTSA: Statement on CR's Infant Seat Report

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-07, 09:09 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NHTSA: Statement on CR's Infant Seat Report

Statement From National Highway Traffic Safety Administrator Nicole Nason Regarding Consumer Reports’ Withdrawal of Its Infant Car Seat Test Report
“Consumer Reports was right to withdraw its infant car seat test report and I appreciate that they have taken this corrective action. We are always eager to work with Consumer Reports and other organizations to improve child safety and ensure that consumers continue to have access to accurate and credible data. I was troubled by the report because it frightened parents and could have discouraged them from using car seats. It is absolutely essential for every parent to understand that the safest place in an automobile for an infant is in a car seat. Simply put, car seats are the best defense for a child in a crash.

“Our initial review of the Consumer Reports testing procedures showed a significant error in the manner in which it conducted and reported on its side-impact tests. [b]The organization’s data show its side-impact tests were actually conducted under conditions that would represent being struck in excess of 70 mph, twice as fast as the group claimed. When NHTSA tested the same child seats in conditions representing the 38.5 mph conditions claimed by Consumer Reports, the seats stayed in their bases as they should, instead of failing dramatically.”[b]

Video footage of NHTSA’s side-impact tests can be found here (Windows Media format).

A high-resolution version in MP2 format of the Compass safety seat can be downloaded from NHTSA's FTP server here.

A high-resolution version in MP2 format of the Evenflo Discovery safety seat can be downloaded from NHTSA's FTP server here.
I read the article and was concerned at how dangerous child seats were, but now it's nice to know it was just CR who failed to use thorough testing methods (no suprise)
Old 01-21-07, 09:36 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Busted!!!..
Old 01-21-07, 10:33 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The good thing about CR's error is that there were actually a couple of seats that held up even at that 70+ MPH test. Now those are the seats I'd buy
Old 01-22-07, 06:32 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

The bit that I saw on the news said that CR outsourced the testing to a 3rd party. They didn't actually do the testing themselves.
Old 01-22-07, 08:38 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The good thing about CR's error is that there were actually a couple of seats that held up even at that 70+ MPH test. Now those are the seats I'd buy
how do we know if they were all tested at the same speed? What if the two recommended ones were tested @ 35-38 mph and the rest were tested at 70+ mph? The truth is we do not know how they were all tested.

@ 70+ mph full impact (frontal or side), chance of survival is slim so I don't see the point of doing the 70+ mph tests.

Originally Posted by ff_
The bit that I saw on the news said that CR outsourced the testing to a 3rd party. They didn't actually do the testing themselves.
They also said they did not have supervision over the tests and that they won't reveal their sources or how the tests were done. If they have nothing to hide... why?
Old 01-22-07, 08:44 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Agree, CR only errored on the speed and not the fact that all but 2 seats passed. I would like to know how a car seat holds up in a high speed crash as well and it looks as if the Britax did not do so well even though it took top honors a few months prior in lower speed tests. What should a person do in the event that they are to be side impacted at 55 mph? Stop time , get out, show the other driver the government standard test data and tell them to slow down to 35mph before hitting me. I say republish the report with the correct speeds.
Yes, at those speeds the crash would be horrendous and survival drops drastically, but hey, look your baby in the eye and give them that excuse for having a failed child seat that YOU knew failed at higher speeds. I opt to take all of the precaution I can.
The 2 seats that passed are also considerably cheaper than the Britax unit. But the bottom line is that infant seats can be made safer as two units have already proven. Car seat manufacturers sound like Ford whining about how it meets the minimum safety standards. Who wants the minimum? We want the best for our children!
Anyhow, I am selling our Britax unit and getting one of the other two options if I can only find one in stock somewhere.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 01-22-07 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-22-07, 10:47 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newr

@ 70+ mph full impact (frontal or side), chance of survival is slim so I don't see the point of doing the 70+ mph tests.
I believe they said the speed is equivalent to 70+ MPH, not a 70+ MPH crash. I've seen people survive higher speed crashes. 35+ 35 simi head on collisions. Chances may be slim, but I'd rather have the baby still strapped in and given a slim chance than ejected and flying around like a projectile. I believe they say secondary impact is the cause of many fatal injuries in an accident.

Also, I'm just speculating, but if the car seat can hold up at 70 MPH, it should be safe to assume it will hold up at 50 MPH, 40 MPH and such. Just because a car seat passes the 35 MPH test doesn't really mean it will pass a 45 MPH. I'm sure most will though, but my main point is I rather have the better build car seat. Doesn't matter anyway, I don't use an infant seat anymore as we are using a Recaro booster seat now.
Old 01-22-07, 11:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, you guys know my high opinion of Consumer Reports......especially for auto reliability.....but this does appear to be one of their rare flaws.

In a real accident, of course, a lot depends not only on the car seat itself, but the attachment gear and how well the car structure itself absorbs the impact and protects its occupants. Mercedes, Volvo, Subaru, BMW, and Saab are all nameplates that, in general, do a good job of that.