Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota developing new ultra-low-cost production process

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-07, 09:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Toyota developing new ultra-low-cost production process

Toyota developing new ultra-low-cost production process

TOKYO (XFN-ASIA) - Toyota Motor Co is developing a radically different carmaking process that will drastically cut costs across the entire chain of production, President Katsuaki Watanabe said in an interview with the Financial Times.

'The focus is on low-cost technology,' Watanabe said. 'Everything from design to production methods will be radically changed and we are thinking of a really ultra-low-cost way of designing, using ultra-low-cost materials, even developing new materials if necessary.'

Watanabe said the company will review each step in the production process to lower costs for a new model and then to apply the lessons across its line-up.

Asked about the price of a car produced via the new process Watanabe said the company has a rough target of being 'at least' cheaper than the Renault (other-otc: RNSDF.PK - news - people ) Logan.

Watanabe also denied media speculation that Toyota (nyse: TM - news - people ) is poised to strike a cooperation agreement with Ford, saying no specifics have been discussed.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/...fx3347163.html
Old 01-21-07, 10:20 PM
LexFather

Yeah, I hope it includes screws and welds and glue, looking at recalls recently.
Awful time to release this to the press.

Old 01-22-07, 12:52 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more cost-cutting....great....they didn't even mention anything about the new technology or procedure. Looks like QC is going to go even further down and recalls are going to start escalating....
Old 01-22-07, 04:04 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Better not apply to Lexus!
Old 01-22-07, 04:54 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

domo arigato, mr roboto!! aka more robots, less people.. that way they can put more man power to sand the paint on those new LS
Old 01-22-07, 09:06 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Business 101

Keep in mind that a low cost production process does NOT mean a decrease in quality. Take standardization or modularization for example. Here we have different processes in the value chain that reduce costs, but do not sacrifice quality.

/Business 101

If I trust a company to develop a low cost production method without sacrificing quality, I trust Toyota.
Old 01-22-07, 10:19 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

We'll see what happens to Toyota/Lexus quality (hopefully quality remains high) in the next few years with their new "plan/technique" . I'm just a very skeptical person, I guess mainly because they're being so tight lipped about the "plan/technique".

Last edited by mavericck; 01-22-07 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-23-07, 09:19 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bizzy928
Business 101

Keep in mind that a low cost production process does NOT mean a decrease in quality. Take standardization or modularization for example. Here we have different processes in the value chain that reduce costs, but do not sacrifice quality.

/Business 101

If I trust a company to develop a low cost production method without sacrificing quality, I trust Toyota.
Well said. Toyota has already stated publicly multiple times that they vow to increase quality at every level. You can bet Toyota is working on a process that increases quality. In fact, this low-cost process may increase quality as well as lowering costs, just like Toyota's "Simple Slim".