Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche makes €21,799 per car (Update-Porsche denies Optimistic Earnings/Car Report)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 08:47 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche factory option are expansive.. check this one out

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=70484

Most people pay the extra for the options.. if you look at the base price it is not that bad.. and almost everyone I know pay MSRP for their car..
Old 01-22-07, 08:54 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NEVER want to see a GT2 in the hand of a yuppie. Thankfully I haven't (in person). GT3's... well, eh, at least as the RS's get some track time.
the resale value of GT2 and GT3 are actually pretty bad.. 2 of my freind that has GT3 told me that their car depericate so much that they rather keep it than sell it.. I have seen GT2 go for around low 100's.. I was thinking about placing a order on the 997 GT3 and trade in my 996.. but since it was kinda bad investment I decide to just keep the car or just trade in for a used GT2..
Old 01-22-07, 08:57 PM
kissbang
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why I'd never buy a Porsche... new. *wink*
Old 01-22-07, 10:40 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by okcfunky
Not a shock, it's been pretty well known they are among the most profitable automaker, if not the most profitable.
Actually, 911's have always been rather pricey, go back and do comparisons and you can further adjust for inflation, and see that they have been pricey.
Furthermore, Porsche should continue to overcharge. It helps keep the 993 Turbo and 930 Turbo values great (which keeps them in the hands of purists not idiots) Sorry, the aircooled 911's are track monsters, and they have a personality that is unreal.
I NEVER want to see a GT2 in the hand of a yuppie. Thankfully I haven't (in person). GT3's... well, eh, at least as the RS's get some track time.

Whats funny is how much they charge to have the crest put on the center caps of wheels

You can actually thank Toyota for being called in to revamp the production to modern levels, boosting profits more. Porsche needs the money anyhow, they don't want to have their affairs meddled with by outsiders, cash makes a nice barrier.

Sorry, I come from a P-car family, used to race a 951.
Good points
Old 01-25-07, 06:20 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Porsche denies optimistic earnings per car report . . .

Posted Jan 25th 2007 2:59PM by John Neff

A report released by B&D Forecast revealed that Porsche made more money per car it sold than any other manufacturer. Not only that, it's reported profit of €21,799 per vehicle dwarfed that of second place BMW, which reportedly earns €2,475 per vehicle. When we first heard about this report, we thought something might not be right unless Porsche has been building its cars out of Papier-mâché lately.

Basically, the study just took Porsche's pretax proft in the 2005/2006 fiscal year and divided it by the 96,794 vehicles it sold in 2005. Porsche is rightly arguing that the calculation is misleading because it doesn't take into account the company's one-off gains that year that had nothing to do with building and selling cars. Porsche's participation with VW during this time resulted in adding €203 million to the books and another €80.7 million came from the automaker's sale of CTS Fahrzeug-Dachsysteme. Neither source of extra income came from the result of selling cars, so they shouldn't be included in a profit-per-vehicle calculation.

Honestly, who ever believed that Porsche earns €21,799, more than USD$28,000, on every vehicle it sells? B&D Forecast should give the intern that wasn't sharp enough to catch this error a few good lashings.

[Source: Porsche, just-auto.com]
source : autoblog

Porsche's official PRESS RELEASE :

One-off and extraordinary effects result in distorted figure
Porsche refutes B&D Forecast profitability calculation

Stuttgart. Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, refutes the calculation of the B&D-Forecast forecast institute as unserious. In a study the institute asserts that with each of the 96,794 sports cars Porsche sold in the 2005/2006 financial year, Porsche earned an average of €21,799 Euros. The calculation is misleading because it does not take into account the extensive one-off and extraordinary effects which impacted the pre-tax result of the Porsche Group in the 2005/06 financial year and which have nothing to do with the original Porsche business.

Thus €203 million Euros of the pre-tax result comes from the participation in Volkswagen AG. This figure is largely purely an accounting one, which Porsche must include in its statement of earnings, even though not a single Euro flows to the sports car manufacturer. What is more, income from hedging transactions in connection with the VW participation resulted in a considerable three-figure amount in millions. This equally had just as little with the actual vehicle business. Furthermore, with the disposal of CTS Fahrzeug-Dachsysteme GmbH, the sports car manufacturer realized a book profit of €80.7 million Euros. This amount also cannot be allocated to the vehicle business.

From the Porsche perspective, it is thus not serious to include the above special effects in the calculation basis for profitability per vehicle.
Old 01-25-07, 06:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Porsche has 13% profit margins, while BMW has around 8%.
Difference is that Porsche is making significant money of their investments, such as VW group stake purchase.

So they are not actually making $30k usd per car, of course.
who was right? :-)