Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche makes €21,799 per car (Update-Porsche denies Optimistic Earnings/Car Report)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 08:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Porsche makes €21,799 per car (Update-Porsche denies Optimistic Earnings/Car Report)

Monday 22 January 2007

A recent study has found that German sports carmaker Porsche earns significantly more in profit from each of its sales than any other car manufacturer in the world. On average, Porsche earned a massive €21,799 of profit before tax on every vehicle it sold last year. In comparison, BMW earned just €2,475 per vehicle sold or roughly nine times less than Porsche, while Audi only managed €1,580 per car. DaimlerChrysler and Volkswagen just scraped by with €708 and €332 per car sold respectively.

For the last financial year, Porsche sold over 97,000 vehicles and charted a record gain of €2.1 billion in profits before tax. However, a significant portion of the company’s profits came from increased return from its stake in Volkswagen Group but the Stuttgart carmaker still beats the competition by a significant margin. As far as profits are concerned, the world’s carmakers will be trailing Porsche for some time to come.
source : motorauthority
Old 01-22-07, 09:11 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Hmmm...interesting factoid
Old 01-22-07, 09:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a lot of money to pay for brandname recognition...
Old 01-22-07, 09:50 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But the purists will complain if they drop prices or introduce lower models.
Old 01-22-07, 09:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow damn, indeed that's a HUGE profit margin!
Old 01-22-07, 10:56 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

The Margin on the CGT was really bad though.
Old 01-22-07, 11:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
But the purists will complain if they drop prices or introduce lower models.
Many of those "purists" were standing in mile-long lines, waiting for months, and paying markups to get the first Boxsters in 1997-98.
Old 01-22-07, 11:31 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Dang, talk about getting ripped off.
Old 01-22-07, 11:34 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Someone take this report down the the local Porsche dealer and start wheeling and dealing.
Old 01-22-07, 12:13 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Proves that Porches especially the 911 are way overpriced. I love the 911 and know it is a great car and plan to own one in my lifetime but it will definitely not be a new one with the insane prices they charge for the car. Then you get burned for all the options which should be standard which generally costs 4 times more on a Porsche as they do on other brands as well as the parts and maintenance costs. Even interior trim piece options costs thousands of dollars. Porsche prices the 911 out of reach for most driving enthusiasts and instead the only people who can afford them are mainly very wealthy or rich doctors, CEOs, and lawyers who know little about the car nor appreciate it and it is just one of their expensive toys they get to show off their wealth. I don't think this is the image that Porsche originally wanted with the 911. I think considering the performance and build of a 911 it should start around 56K and not go over 62K unless you are getting turbo, awd, or GT3 models. I would pay maybe 8 or 9 grand over a Corvette for a 911 for the better interior and more pure bred sports car feel and design even though the Corvette outperforms it in just about every category but paying almost double the price of a Corvette for a 6 cylinder with 320 horsepower is just too much.

With all the money they are making on their success with other models Porsche does not need to overcharge so much on the 911 anymore and the "purists" who complain about lower prices are generally just buying the car for the name and to feed their egos that they drive something more expensive and rarer then most other people instead of a car that gives them the sports car experience without taking out a second mortgage to afford it. A base 911 is not really an exotic car to be commanding those kind of prices.
Old 01-22-07, 12:18 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn.! If they run this ads "Buy a Carrera and get a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord for FREE" they would till make money... that is just crazy.
Old 01-22-07, 12:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
source : motorauthority
Porsche has 13% profit margins, while BMW has around 8%.
Difference is that Porsche is making significant money of their investments, such as VW group stake purchase.

So they are not actually making $30k usd per car, of course.
Old 01-22-07, 03:22 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

Not a shock, it's been pretty well known they are among the most profitable automaker, if not the most profitable.
Actually, 911's have always been rather pricey, go back and do comparisons and you can further adjust for inflation, and see that they have been pricey.
Furthermore, Porsche should continue to overcharge. It helps keep the 993 Turbo and 930 Turbo values great (which keeps them in the hands of purists not idiots) Sorry, the aircooled 911's are track monsters, and they have a personality that is unreal.
I NEVER want to see a GT2 in the hand of a yuppie. Thankfully I haven't (in person). GT3's... well, eh, at least as the RS's get some track time.

Whats funny is how much they charge to have the crest put on the center caps of wheels

You can actually thank Toyota for being called in to revamp the production to modern levels, boosting profits more. Porsche needs the money anyhow, they don't want to have their affairs meddled with by outsiders, cash makes a nice barrier.

Sorry, I come from a P-car family, used to race a 951.
Old 01-22-07, 07:47 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

man i wish i could make a profit like that lol
Old 01-22-07, 08:27 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

I just realized what that translates to and it sunk in when I started thinking how much a GS is.

Mmm... yea, my praise of Porsche has gone from deserved to "place thee on thy golden pedestal"
Redefines "slaying the customer"

Quick Reply: Porsche makes €21,799 per car (Update-Porsche denies Optimistic Earnings/Car Report)