Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota enters NASCAR fray

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-07, 05:35 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
all of a sudden, people are afraid of the Camry... I find that funny .. heheh.. I don't know much about NASCAR (stock car racing) so sorry for the questions.. how "stock" is this Camry will be? FWD? RWD? Is it going to be entirely different car except for the Camry body shell?
pretty much just a camry shell and full TRD underneath...its a RWD v8
Old 01-23-07, 05:52 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Good for Toyota maybe I'll watch now or not...
Old 01-23-07, 11:49 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck
How boring....it should be an engineering competition where anything goes granted it doesn't turn into a rocket powered car.
that's what forumla 1 is for the rest of the world. Im not a fan of this cars of tomorrow...i understand that this is in the interest of keeping costs down etc but there's no motivation for development etc...but then again, they're still driving around w/ carbed motors
Old 01-24-07, 09:39 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Pics......

AND THERE ARE THE HATERS OF COURSE

http://www.fansagainstracingtoyotas.com/

Here is a quote from one of the threads:
.....how soon we forget. world war II, Korean war, even 9-11. I don,t buy Japenese or korean cars because of all the american's that died for our country. so I will not support a jap scrap team in nascar...
Old 01-24-07, 09:46 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Surprise they are not using a Lexus IS or GS but a Camry no less. This does not bode well for IS owners.
Does anything on these cars have anything in common with the Camry on the streets besides the name? I think it would have been funnier if they named them Corollas or Yaris, LOL, kicking their butt in a compact car.

If the truck series is any indication it will be a few years (3-4) before they win anything. If they came in and dominated off the bat, that would be miraculous.
Old 01-24-07, 09:50 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by foofighter
that's what forumla 1 is for the rest of the world. Im not a fan of this cars of tomorrow...i understand that this is in the interest of keeping costs down etc but there's no motivation for development etc...but then again, they're still driving around w/ carbed motors

Even in F1 they outlaw engineering. They banned turbos because the cars were too fast. I even saw that someone was using a full carbon fiber transmission, but they had to add some weights to the car because it was too light to be fair. How stupid is that, you spend millions on exotic technology just to have to put some bricks in the truck (figurtively that is).
Old 01-24-07, 10:07 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Well F1 cars do have a minimum weight limit sooo..............
Old 01-24-07, 10:28 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to an Autoweek article I read at the end of last season (when Toyota was announcing there entry), Toyota was going to try a somewhat different strategy in Nascar. Basically an engine with less power but greater fuel economy, ie fewer pit stops. Can't say if that still holds true now, but we shall see!
Old 01-24-07, 03:42 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
According to an Autoweek article I read at the end of last season (when Toyota was announcing there entry), Toyota was going to try a somewhat different strategy in Nascar. Basically an engine with less power but greater fuel economy, ie fewer pit stops. Can't say if that still holds true now, but we shall see!
In certain race organizations I think that might work. In NASCAR I don't see how having less power and greater full economy will help much considering how many caution flags there are. There are so many crashes that getting fuel under a caution is not that hard. So often in NASCAR there is a 1-3 lap sprint to the end and that is where power is needed.
Old 01-24-07, 04:27 PM
manila_boy
Lead Lap

this is BS, can't beleive that guy even made a website about it...
Old 01-24-07, 09:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

They've been the same under the skins for many years primarily for safety. They're all required to run a Grand National chassis, so it's been all about set up, engine development, strategy, crew, driver, and sheer luck for some time.

Unfortunately, there really are no more unlimited racing series. F1 is a circus. NASCAR is a parade. Both have severely restrictive rules to limit costs and keep the cars somewhat close in performance. It's a shame they have to do it this way.
Old 01-24-07, 09:48 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

well relatively speaking F1 is a bit more avant garde than NASCAR in terms of technological advances...a lot of that stuff they had on the cars have trickled down to road cars
Old 01-24-07, 10:02 PM
LexFather

I think I'll give Nascar a chance in 2007

Old 01-24-07, 11:47 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkorsu

That will never work, less power means laps down and tires wear the same for everyone so you have to stop anyway.
Old 01-25-07, 02:09 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighter
well relatively speaking F1 is a bit more avant garde than NASCAR in terms of technological advances...a lot of that stuff they had on the cars have trickled down to road cars
I wish I could agree, but they (FIA) killed turbos because they were too fast. They require spec fuel so you can't build exotic engines running exotic fuels and go too fast. They killed true ground effects because they were too fast. They killed active suspensions because they feared they would be too fast and too expensive. They've removed almost all the driver's aids to prevent the slow from going too fast. They've reduced wing sizes so now everybody puts winglets and high noses on the cars to keep them on the ground. After all this - THEY'RE STILL TOO FAST - so they force the tire manufacturers to cut big grooves in the tires and they made absolutely absurd rules about tire changes and engine changes. And they're still looking for ways to slow them down!

It reminds me of NASCAR. You have to be "creative" in your rule interpretation (up on your cheating) to get to the front. It also reminds me of the UCI when they banned the Trek Y foil bikes on the starting line at the Tour de France because one of the senior officials said they didn't look like bicycles. DAMN! What a crowd of reactionaries we have in international competition where engineering success should be praised and emulated. Not stymied and stiffled.

Quick Reply: Toyota enters NASCAR fray