Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota enters NASCAR fray

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 01:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Toyota enters NASCAR fray

Robert Padgett / New York Times
Toyota Camrys at Daytona International Speedway are inspiring anticipation and angst as NASCAR's Nextel Cup season approaches.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Toyota enters NASCAR fray

New contender inspires angst and anticipation

Viv Bernstein / New York Times

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla . -- After years of expanding its presence in the United States and beyond, Japan's Toyota Motor Corp. recently issued a 2007 forecast that would make it first in global sales, ahead of General Motors Corp.

And now, Toyota is about to begin competing with its American counterparts on yet another level: NASCAR's premier circuit, the Nextel Cup.

Toyota teams have been testing their Camrys here this month at Daytona International Speedway, where they are inspiring anticipation and angst as the Nextel Cup season approaches. Toyota will be the first foreign brand to compete in stock-car racing's top series since Jaguar in the 1950s.

Engineers at Toyota Racing Development, a competition division that builds engines and provides engineering support, have been working for more than a year for this moment. Their mere presence here, however, is making some uneasy. While Toyota scrambles to prepare its Camrys and build its race shops for the Nextel Cup circuit, competitors are accusing the company of raiding teams for talent and raising the costs of operation by offering dramatically higher salaries.

It is a departure from the universal welcome bestowed upon Dodge when it announced it was re-entering the Cup series in 2001 after a 16-year absence. Its parent company is Germany's DaimlerChrysler AG, but Dodge was viewed as American-born.

"People always fear the unknown," said Ty Norris, general manager at Michael Waltrip Racing, a new three-car team that will race Toyotas with the drivers Michael Waltrip, Dale Jarrett and David Reutimann. "It's a new thing to be concerned about."

Earlier this month, a half-dozen Camrys rolled onto the pavement at Daytona International Speedway to take their first laps as full-fledged Nextel Cup competitors. The speeds soared and dipped during the annual preseason tests representing the unofficial beginning of the 2007 season. The Daytona 500 is scheduled to be run here Feb. 18.

Toyota entered NASCAR competition through the Craftsman Truck Series in 2004. Since announcing a year ago that it would join the Nextel Cup competition, the company has seen a debate escalate in this insular sport over what is considered American-made in today's global economy. As Toyota drivers are quick to point out, Camrys are built in the United States, the Ford Fusion is produced in Mexico and Chevy's Monte Carlo comes from Canada.

"If you're going to argue with me about not being American," Jarrett told reporters this month, "check and see that TV you're watching was made in the United States that you're watching our great races on."

One fear is that Toyota will spend its way to domination in the sport, raising costs for everybody and perhaps eventually running off an ailing domestic manufacturer. Officials at Ford Motor Co., which has struggled financially while sales of Toyota's have gained greater share in the United States, have been most vocal in their criticism.

Dan Davis, director of Ford Racing Technology, said his manufacturer's NASCAR operation is financially sound. But he said Toyota's spending spree in acquiring crew chiefs, drivers, engineers, tire changers and other support personnel has affected his teams. That includes Robert Yates Racing, which lost Jarrett and his UPS sponsorship.

"They have been predators, and people would say that might be extremely negative," Davis said. "I would say that in the business world, people are predators. That's how you get things done. When anything new comes in with a lot of resources, then those entities are going to try to acquire the best people, the best equipment, the best that they can get."

Davis said he voiced his concerns privately with NASCAR. So far, NASCAR officials say they see this as business as usual in a sport in which teams openly raid competitors. Earlier this month, for instance, Roush Racing hired the crew chief Larry Carter away from Michael Waltrip Racing.

"We hear just like everybody else," Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's vice president for competition, said in a telephone interview. "We don't get into the book work of anybody. We don't know what people are paying. It runs in cycles. When you have new teams coming into the series, you're going to have to do something to ramp up."

Still, Toyota has yet to compete in its first points race, and it is already on the defensive.

"We're not in the business of writing checks," Lee White, the senior vice president and general manager for Toyota Racing Development, said last month in an office in High Point, N.C. White added: "I would appreciate if Dan and some of those guys would get their facts straight. We don't expect everyone to endorse us or be a big fan. We'll earn our stripes on the racetrack."
source : detnews
Old 01-22-07, 01:45 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it.

QQ more Ford. As if you didn't scalp at the start.
Old 01-22-07, 01:48 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Surprise they are not using a Lexus IS or GS but a Camry no less. This does not bode well for IS owners.
Old 01-22-07, 01:52 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Surprise they are not using a Lexus IS or GS but a Camry no less. This does not bode well for IS owners.
Speak for yourself!

I love the fact they are using a Camry..

The fact that a Camry will beat(hopefully) the Monte Carlo and whatever else Dodge has on the track is a swift kick to the you know what.. for American car companies.

Well, not that.. is good, but its about time Toyota commanded respec outside of the realibility arena.
Old 01-22-07, 01:57 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The more praise or angst with Toyota, the better.

It's free marketing. No one is even talking about the other cars in NASCAR!

Thanks American car lovers!!!
Old 01-22-07, 02:06 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Though I would prefer to see something other than a Camry, the Camry does making a very strong selling point by throwing it in a way on the track and in the showroom.
Old 01-22-07, 02:15 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
It's entirely aligned with other manufacturers and 'bodes nothing ill' for IS owners. You don't see GM fielding Cadillac CTS-V or Corvettes for example do you
Old 01-22-07, 02:28 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

all of a sudden, people are afraid of the Camry... I find that funny .. heheh.. I don't know much about NASCAR (stock car racing) so sorry for the questions.. how "stock" is this Camry will be? FWD? RWD? Is it going to be entirely different car except for the Camry body shell?
Old 01-22-07, 02:39 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Toyota entered NASCAR competition through the Craftsman Truck Series in 2004. Since announcing a year ago that it would join the Nextel Cup competition, the company has seen a debate escalate in this insular sport over what is considered American-made in today's global economy. As Toyota drivers are quick to point out, Camrys are built in the United States, the Ford Fusion is produced in Mexico and Chevy's Monte Carlo comes from Canada.

"If you're going to argue with me about not being American," Jarrett told reporters this month, "check and see that TV you're watching was made in the United States that you're watching our great races on."
Those are two of the best counterpoints I've heard!

I wonder if any of the Lexus models would be up for Pace car duties... that would be pretty awesome... but, that could be just a pipe dream...
Old 01-22-07, 09:12 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

camry is the bread and butter sedan to compete against the bread and butter sedans of the other manufacturers. I cant wait, because of their entry others like myself that normally wouldnt watch NASCAR will now tune in. And that at the end of the day is what matters to NASCAR who is trying to move into other markets that havent embraced NASCAR.

and to hell w/ the haters...they fear that Toyota will do what they did in NASTRUCK racing...and that's WIN RACES
Old 01-23-07, 12:31 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I never been much of a Nascar fan - Now - I have a reason to watch and cheer Toyota on...
Old 01-23-07, 01:04 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

This'll be interesting.
Old 01-23-07, 01:07 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some info for people who don't follow Nascar, they are introducing the car of tommorow, sixteen races this year and full time starting next year, what this means is that all cars regardless of manufacturer will be the same and fit a common body template, only the decals for the grill, headlights and taillights will be different in addition to the powerplant and before you get too excited about Toyota power, the top ten finishers cars are confiscated and dynoed, if you exceed an allowed range of horsepower that equals big problems, the top five have their engines dissasembled so this is quickly becoming the IROC series, all things becoming equal the formula for winning remains the same:

Car set up.
Driver.
Pit crew.
Lack of mistakes.
Luck.
Old 01-23-07, 01:12 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Indio
Some info for people who don't follow Nascar, they are introducing the car of tommorow, sixteen races this year and full time starting next year, what this means is that all cars regardless of manufacturer will be the same and fit a common body template, only the decals for the grill, headlights and taillights will be different in addition to the powerplant and before you get too excited about Toyota power, the top ten finishers cars are confiscated and dynoed, if you exceed an allowed range of horsepower that equals big problems, the top five have their engines dissasembled so this is quickly becoming the IROC series, all things becoming equal the formula for winning remains the same:

Car set up.
Driver.
Pit crew.
Lack of mistakes.
Luck.
How boring....it should be an engineering competition where anything goes granted it doesn't turn into a rocket powered car.
Old 01-23-07, 01:44 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Speed, turn left, speed, turb left, speed turn left, speed........
j/k
Still won't watch NASCAR but best of luck to Toyota.

Quick Reply: Toyota enters NASCAR fray