Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi: Lexus doesn't resonate

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 11:56 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aliti19
I always love this chart:

It pretty much speaks for itself.
This chart fails to differentiate between types of problems and will just group together serious problems with insignificant ones like your cup holder squeaking or the rubber around the door seal becoming dry and squeaking in cold weather, something stupid like that. But sure...the chart speaks for itself...

My biggest concern is...how on Earth did Buick and Mercury end up at the top near Lexus? Those cars at the top must be so utterly unsophisticated that just about nothing can go wrong except for the heater not working or something...

Last edited by mavericck; 01-23-07 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-23-07, 12:10 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

All I can say is that every time I hear the word Audi I want to run out and get my fire extinguisher. Had two, both turbos-both caught fire. Both absolute rubbish. Granted both were also mid 80 models-Audi's low point. They have gotten better since then I admit ,but.....

I liken Audi to a bad circumcision-feels ok at first but the end result is not what you bargained for.

Not from personal experience of course.
Old 01-23-07, 05:10 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
All I can say is that every time I hear the word Audi I want to run out and get my fire extinguisher. Had two, both turbos-both caught fire. Both absolute rubbish. Granted both were also mid 80 models-Audi's low point. They have gotten better since then I admit ,but.....

I liken Audi to a bad circumcision-feels ok at first but the end result is not what you bargained for.

Good god, what a comparison...
Old 01-23-07, 06:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower

Sure Lee, sure. Is there something you want to tell us? Really, among friends?
Old 01-23-07, 07:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Audi sales in US = Lexus sales in Europe

Not sure why Audi doesn't sell well in US bec they have a pretty good lineup of great looking cars. They need to build an image and a dealer network.
no.

Market in Europe is completly different, most cars that Audi sells are 4cly cars. Compared to BMW and MB, they are seen as value brand.

Audi outselling Lexus in Europe is like BMW outselling Porsche :-).
Old 01-23-07, 07:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck
This chart fails to differentiate between types of problems and will just group together serious problems with insignificant ones like your cup holder squeaking or the rubber around the door seal becoming dry and squeaking in cold weather, something stupid like that. But sure...the chart speaks for itself...

My biggest concern is...how on Earth did Buick and Mercury end up at the top near Lexus? Those cars at the top must be so utterly unsophisticated that just about nothing can go wrong except for the heater not working or something...
that is not true... this is vehicle dependability survey, not Initial Quality Survey, which is what you are talking about.

This is actually about reliability and breakdowns.

In fact, both TUV and ADAC surveys, from German government owned companies, show exactly the same... Toyota/Lexus #1, Audi #12.
Old 01-23-07, 07:42 AM
Milla...

I'll tell you what the problem is and its not price.

They need to get their tails off of VW's toilet bowl and get their own house (stop sharing roofs).
Focus on top notch service & reliability. Americans are freakin spoiled brats. We want to be pampered and stroked and served and no less when it comes to luxury brands. Lexus understands that so they busted out the palm fans and chariots with their nice reliable luxury cars and bingo a winner. Let Audi do the same, and watch Lexus sqerm. Audi has all the potential of being that top tier brand here in the US they just fail to be aggressive in the areas the American fat cats want the most with their premium autos. I'll tell you this I would only be a few steps away from changing all my cars to Audis' but lack of the above fat cat needs actually keeps me a few steps away from doing that.
Old 01-23-07, 08:45 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Shocking words, even coming from an executive of one of the German brands. Of course, not really surprising, and in a way following the footsteps of the BMW exec who mentioned that BMW isn't concerned about Lexus.

Flipside is right, the bitter comments definitely imply that Lexus is really starting to bug the German brands.

His information certainly is out of date, as Lexus sales in Japan are extremely close to BMW and Mercedes, and will soon surpass them. The new LS continues to have high demand in markets worldwide, not just North America.

With new F performance brand, and the coming LF-A supercar, Lexus arguably is a brand that's undergoing a bigger and more substantial change in the next few years than Audi is.

He also forgot to mention that Audi sales are mostly European, just like Lexus sales are mostly North American based.
Old 01-23-07, 01:16 PM
vader11
Rookie

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
The German automaker also has challenged its digital ad agency, Factory Design Labs, to capitalize on the Internet's freewheeling landscape to explore new avenues to educate, inform and link to customers. "Eight-eight percent of Audi's buyers spend time on the Internet before purchasing a new car, the highest of any (manufacturer) in the industry," he said.
But J.D. Power's report shows that Audi's official site is the least popular among other manufacturer!!!

http://news.u-car.com.tw/news-detail.asp?nid=5350
Old 01-23-07, 03:45 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Wow, that was an unexpected kick at Lexus. Funny thing is Audi begged for and now has the Q7 and will have a Q5 and Q3 soon

Audi sold I think barely 80,000 cars in the USA last year. Lexus almost sold that many ES 350s and over 100,000 RX 330/350s

The funny thing is the 2 companies, IMO are alike in many ways.
Audi is very close to VW. A4 is Golf based. The old A6 was Passat based. Lexus RX and ES are based off the Camry.
Both companies have arguably the best interiors in the business.
Both companies styling has been said to share too much to its parent company. Audi and VWs both share the same giant SUV front ends. Lexus finally seperated with L-finesse but it still has detractors.

Old 01-23-07, 03:49 PM
LexFather

I like Audi's alot. Instead of giving Lexus credit, he detracts it. Is he mad Lexus sold more cars in 1992 than Audi did in 2006? Lol. It just means LEXUS FIGURED OUT WHAT PEOPLE WANT HERE.

As for Europe, Lexus BLEW that attempt thus far, they don't even have a standard dealer network. However, they are LEARNING and never sold better last year (still a very small amount).

As for Japan, my goodness, they don't even offer all the cars yet. He is basing his opinion on being sold barely over a year in Japan (Lexus that is)????

Audi also has
gasoline 4 cylinders
Hatchbacks
A2/A3 super entry level competitors
And well over what 80 years experience in Europe.

But give it time, if Audi's dealer network and reliability continue to be almost the worst......well do the math....

Old 01-23-07, 03:55 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Audi myself, but have always been a little afraid to own one because of the sketchy reliability. However, my friends with Audi's don't really seem to have a problem even with their highly modified ones. As a weekend car I'd like to try an Audi though. Maybe one day I'll get a used R8
Old 01-23-07, 11:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If Audi is going to compare their sales worldwide to Lexus sales worldwide, then they really should combine Lexus and Toyota sales, because whatever Audi (and BMW and MB for that matter) sell in Europe are a bunch of cheap econoboxes that can be slapped silly by a Scion xB. They need to realize that Lexus is a true PREMIUM brand, and will not resort to four cylinder crapboxes.
Old 01-23-07, 11:40 PM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
If Audi is going to compare their sales worldwide to Lexus sales worldwide, then they really should combine Lexus and Toyota sales, because whatever Audi (and BMW and MB for that matter) sell in Europe are a bunch of cheap econoboxes that can be slapped silly by a Scion xB. They need to realize that Lexus is a true PREMIUM brand, and will not resort to four cylinder crapboxes.
Correctemundo!

80-90% of the BMW's and MB's (or Audi's for that matter) i see daily are 4-cylinders...and many of them with VERY basic trim levels...and doesnt fit the luxury brand image i suspect they have in the US.

I work in a car related business...and i must say the lack of build quality ive seen from the three aforementioned brands lately worries me...

Now...Lexus on the other hand...
Old 01-24-07, 12:58 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Well if you compared Audi sales world wide to the combined sales of Lexus and Toyota world wide, then it would only make sense and be fair to compare the combined sales of VW and Audi world-wide...not to mention Lamborghini, Bugatti, and Bentley to Toyota and Lexus. Just trying to be fair here.

Quick Reply: Audi: Lexus doesn't resonate